• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

badger16

None
Great post man. Thanks for the insight. Good luck to you in your future and safe travels.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm sorry to hear it, but it sounds like you've moved passed it which is good. Thanks for the testimonial.

badger16

None
Ben, I swear I did not intend to steal the first part of your post...I was writing at the same time..haha.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Big balls to be so stoic in admitting something wasn't for you... and then jumping into the "lions den" that is this website to post what few lessons you learned. Good on you, and have fun in China.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Big balls to be so stoic in admitting something wasn't for you... and then jumping into the "lions den" that is this website to post what few lessons you learned. Good on you, and have fun in China.

There is truth to this when you think about all the guys who post here for a good while, go to OCS, and we never hear from them ever again. Again FUPaladin, thanks for your insight and good luck.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
Though you all have to take my comments with the same grain of salt as any other candidate, because I haven't passed OCS yet either; I would like to say that it shows good character on your part to come away from OCS in your situation and have positive things to say about the experience. Many people would talk a bunch of crap about how their DI was a dick or whatever, and make a bunch of excuses. It was refreshing to see a level-head reaction. It sounds like you found your niche in the Chinese language studies, so good luck with that.

schwarti

Contributor
Not to parrot what everyone else is saying, but I admire your honesty and thank you for posting about your experience to help those of us who haven't been there yet - hopefully we'll make it over that hump. I wish you the best of luck in the future, and as one Asian studies nerd to another, good luck in China!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the mods deem this topic inappropriate for this forum and delete it, that’s really okay with me...[/SIZE]
Delete, hell, it is a sticky now. Good post. I think some guys will learn a lot. Good luck to ya.

Brett1

Banned
Hey Paladin,
sometimes plan B ends up working out much better than you expect. I was somewhat "in your shoes" back in 1990. The fact that I didnt get picked up in NAVCAD, or subsequent AOCS applications worked out OK for me. I am sure the same will be for you also.

FastMover

NFO
None
Good on you for making this post. At least you tried... now when you're older you won't have to look back and think about what could have been.

FUPaladin

couldabeen
Though you all have to take my comments with the same grain of salt as any other candidate, because I haven't passed OCS yet either; I would like to say that it shows good character on your part to come away from OCS in your situation and have positive things to say about the experience. Many people would talk a bunch of crap about how their DI was a dick or whatever, and make a bunch of excuses. It was refreshing to see a level-head reaction. It sounds like you found your niche in the Chinese language studies, so good luck with that.

I don't really have anything negative to say, but it might be a stretch to say I have positive things to say about the experience, other than the quality of the people involved. Basically, it sucked and I hated it, but the program is what it is, and it's supposed to suck. The reason I'm not bitter is because I wasn't singled out or treated any differently than the rest of the candidates, so there's no reason why I dropped and others didn't other than my own motivation.

Funny you should use the word stoic, because I was actually surprised at how unemotional I was after I DOR'd, even though it was a huge decision and I knew I was giving up a lot. Sure it sucked to have to quit (especially telling my family), but it was so obvious to me that I didn't belong there that the decision was actually much easier than I would have thought it could have been. I made a mistake by going to OCS in the first place instead of going with my other plans, so I don't look at it as a failure but as simply correcting my mistake. If I had been truly determined but just couldn't hack it, it would be a different story.

As for the "lions den" comment, this is just the Internet. If I can deal with the woman at the uniform shop at NS Newport when trying to return my unused items, I can certainly deal with anything this forum can throw at me. :icon_tong

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Good post, and good luck in your future undertakings.

If I can deal with the woman at the uniform shop at NS Newport when trying to return my unused items, I can certainly deal with anything this forum can throw at me. :icon_tong

You don't mean that sweet old British lady do you? They must have hired some new staff because those ladies were pretty nice to everyone.