• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Initial Flight Gear Issue

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've learned to not immediately dismiss people because of what billet they hold or where they end up in their career. After all, everyone in this game is a product of a timing based promotion system....not a merit based one.
I’m dismissing him because of his leather jacket policy. So should you.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m dismissing him because of his leather jacket policy. So should you.
So, COs with stupid leather jacket policies are non-hackers. Good to know. And who is the non-hacker who perpetuates the stupid Navy flight suit policy, or authorized brown shoes for, well, Shoes?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, COs with stupid leather jacket policies are non-hackers. Good to know. And who is the non-hacker who perpetuates the stupid Navy flight suit policy, or authorized brown shoes for, well, Shoes?
Two different issues. What is the stupid Navy flight suit policy you refer to?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you not still restricted from flight suit wear out in town? Only necessary brief stops for gas, etc. authorized. I know you can wear on your commute through the gate now.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you not still restricted from flight suit wear out in town? Only necessary brief stops for gas, etc. authorized. I know you can wear on your commute through the gate now.
No. Not for going on seven years.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Nooooooo! That's what causes all the (false) issues. The uniform instruction (and local instructions) are what governs you, not random O-1s who don't know what they don't know (Marines included). Wear the damn thing if it's cold. Don't wear it during the summer. Don't wear it out of uniform (at least around town...if you're back home, who cares). But it's yours to wear, just like brown shoes.

You guys are making this way harder than it has to be.

I don't know what a "skipper of API" is, but NASC CO is a post-command CO, just like you, who has also picked up Major Command. I wouldn't call it a non-hacker. Just a different path on the way to O-6 retirement.

I get the intent of your post, but keep in mind the the younger ones don't necessarily understand the difference between an OIC (if that's even what it is) and a CO.

Funny story to this, when I was a student at the E-2 RAG it was a major point put out to us that we are actually not authorized to wear the leathers with our flight suit.. Or maybe it was our khakis? A lot of years and beers ago.. But if I remember right, the SWO contingent on base had complained about us wearing them and we were told we had to wear the green ones. But that we COULD wear the leathers in civvies?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Funny story to this, when I was a student at the E-2 RAG it was a major point put out to us that we are actually not authorized to wear the leathers with our flight suit.. Or maybe it was our khakis? A lot of years and beers ago.. But if I remember right, the SWO contingent on base had complained about us wearing them and we were told we had to wear the green ones. But that we COULD wear the leathers in civvies?
The SWOs on NOB are a great bunch. Used to be fun to wear greens to the NEX and see their heads explode.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Personally, I've never known a time where you couldn't wear your leather jacket in any uniform (along with the various rules of where you could where said uniform, which has obviously changed over the years). During my time, you couldn't technically wear the Nomex in khakis, though of course that was often not followed.

If you actually read the organizational clothing instruction ~2014, you couldn't wear the green fleece out in town, either. Not that it stopped anyone. I never bothered to see if the instruction ever got updated. Now I wear it when I go to TX for training with my company. It clashes with my Navy blue flight suit I wear now, but it's nice and snuggly.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
In two years aboard three different training bases I have never seen a student wearing the G-1 until they are winged. Take it for what it’s worth but I agree with @Duc'-guy25 in that wearing one as a student would make you stand out in the wrong kind of way.

I wore mine all through flight school when it was cold enough to wear it (rarely in Kingsville, but you get the point). So did all of my friends. The guys who wouldn't wear it or thought they'd look stupid or that they didn't rate it were the ones who stood out as douchebags.

Just don't wear it out in town with your civvies and you're fine.

Bonus points for Marines trying to stay warm on duty as the leather jacket is authorized to wear in bravos and chucks.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Easy solutions to most of these problems, and these apply regardless of how new you are to NAVAIR...

Are you cold?
"No": Don't wear your Jacket
"Yea, Kinda": Wear your summer weight jacket/fleece.
"Yes, I'm Fucking Freezing": Wear your G-1.
"Yes, AND my hands are about to get frostbite": Throw your G-1 in the back of your closet, detach to Incirlik/Osan, and get a Pop's Leather (or whatever the Korean version is called) made with fur lined pockets, blood chit liner, 1911 internal carry pocket, and a removable fur interior. Call TG 15 months in advance to order your patches - hope to God he doesn't die before delivery. Proceed to wear your jacket whether you are in a flight suit (because it looks like a uniform item) or out in town (because it isn't actually a uniform item) whenever you want like a normal adult. Tell meddling Chiefs they have more important things to worry about, like the upcoming PFA. Drink many alcoholic beverages and win at life.

Also, buy brown shoes before you get to Pensacola. Or immediately upon arrival at Pensacola. Or anywhere between Newport and Pensacola. This was the advice I was given from my OCS Class Chief (God Bless you ADCM DeManuele, wherever you are), and it was great checking in the first day of API and not looking like trash. Make sure you shine the shit out of them though - no excuse for matte brown oxfords.