• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Initial Flight Gear Issue

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The big takeaway was just do what other students are doing (this was also about patches on the right shoulder), so if no one before you is wearing the leather jacket, you would probably get the impression that you shouldn't, even if no one cares and its not stated anymore,

Nooooooo! That's what causes all the (false) issues. The uniform instruction (and local instructions) are what governs you, not random O-1s who don't know what they don't know (Marines included). Wear the damn thing if it's cold. Don't wear it during the summer. Don't wear it out of uniform (at least around town...if you're back home, who cares). But it's yours to wear, just like brown shoes.

You guys are making this way harder than it has to be.

Those guys are non-hackers usually. Rolling of eyes is authorized.

I don't know what a "skipper of API" is, but NASC CO is a post-command CO, just like you, who has also picked up Major Command. I wouldn't call it a non-hacker. Just a different path on the way to O-6 retirement.

I get the intent of your post, but keep in mind the the younger ones don't necessarily understand the difference between an OIC (if that's even what it is) and a CO.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is another similar one that is much cheaper, which I bought off amazon....it just doesn't have chest patch velcro like the Massif, thus making occasional CPO's cringe. Can't remember the name.

You need to go into your Amazon history and find out the name, for the children's sake!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I get the intent of your post, but keep in mind the the younger ones don't necessarily understand the difference between an OIC (if that's even what it is) and a CO.
Back in the day, there was an O-5 who ran API who reported to CO NASC. If stuff hasn’t changed radically, I’d guess that’s who they’re referring to, or whatever the modern counterpart is.

And it’s easier to scoff at someone of that level being allegedly an off-track non-hacker when you’re a senior O-4 or O-5 than it is when you’re a lowly butter bar who’s still pledging the fraternity.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

TSOT.

I'm hesitant to put more than one tipsy gypsy on my leather, so I just rock the JO patch all these years later. Squadron patch, name tag, navy jack and the Ensign.

Good enough for me, plus some lined pockets. So choice. Even more ammunition for the Chiefs when I slime around with my hands in my pockets and an 'out of regs' jacket.

robav8r

None
Contributor
View attachment 21419
Still occasionally wear it to work or around town. ALWAYS get compliments or spark discussion when out in town.

Still a bit miffed that USS LAST SHIP didn't have a patch and I occasionally consider custom ordering one to make it a complete history.
Now that I am retired, I wear mine unzipped, into drinking establishments occasionally. Always get a comment or inquiry . . .

Pags

N/A
pilot
I recall from my days that most of the judginess came from the students*. Same thing wrt brown shoes. But on the other side of that coin were a lot of OCS guys who couldn't stomach the sleeve roll. I also think it was confused by the fact that the TW-5 SOP prohibited G-1 wear in the cockpit so there wasn't a lot of incentive to wear it while on the flight sked. Couple that with a limited amount of khaki time and not much cool weather and there wasn't a "need" for it. However, when I got to NOB lots of folks wore it because there was enough winter, SDO, and general NOB/HC khaki shennanigans to make it a useful uniform item. RPs who showed up to the RAG in black shoes and Ike jackets were suitably counseled for the shoe-like attire and told to wear brown shoes and a leather jacket if they wanted to get on board for the big win.

*TW-5 CO may have passed judgment on ENS @nittany03 for showing up to receive an award in an ike jacket. LTJG Pags in his G-1 received only congratulations from the same CO.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Back in the day, there was an O-5 who ran API who reported to CO NASC. If stuff hasn’t changed radically, I’d guess that’s who they’re referring to, or whatever the modern counterpart is.

And it’s easier to scoff at someone of that level being allegedly an off-track non-hacker when you’re a senior O-4 or O-5 than it is when you’re a lowly butter bar who’s still pledging the fraternity.

Yup, sounds like an OIC gig, if that. And as someone who was tagged to be an OIC (twice), reporting to an O-6 Major Command, and who intentionally stepped off-track, I say good day to you, sir...as I walk off into the sunset with my O-5 retirement and currency in model*...

*Brett got what I was talking about, so no one should take this post too seriously.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
*TW-5 CO may have passed judgment on ENS @nittany03 for showing up to receive an award in an ike jacket. LTJG Pags in his G-1 received only congratulations from the same CO.
In my defense, it was freaking cold out. And I’d gotten boned by NAS P-Cola supply, and thus had no G-1 to wear. But I did have a nice letter in my file box saying they’d get back to me eventually. Those of our era will recall the Great G-1 Shortage of about 2003-2006. Ike jackets insulate and protect from pneumonia better than paper. ?

What made it even better was that earlier, in API gear issue, I’d had in my hands a brand-new G-1 which fit perfectly. The crabby old supply lady who used to work there snatched it back and put me down for one size bigger, which was out of stock . . . “so it’ll fit when you’re a LT and you get fatter.”

¯\(ツ)/¯

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
In my defense, it was freaking cold out.
giphy.gif

Pags

N/A
pilot
In my defense, it was freaking cold out. And I’d gotten boned by NAS P-Cola supply, and thus had no G-1 to wear. But I did have a nice letter in my file box saying they’d get back to me eventually. Those of our era will recall the Great G-1 Shortage of about 2003-2006. Ike jackets insulate and protect from pneumonia better than paper. ?

What made it even better was that earlier, in API gear issue, I’d had in my hands a brand-new G-1 which fit perfectly. The crabby old supply lady who used to work there snatched it back and put me down for one size bigger, which was out of stock . . . “so it’ll fit when you’re a LT and you get fatter.”

¯\(ツ)/¯
Oh, so you were the victim? How millennial of you.