• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Initial Flight Gear Issue

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Honestly, I'm not afraid to wear something I was issued and have met the criteria to do so, by the books. I like knowing what the culture, tradition and different opinions are on the subject so I'm not making decisions blind or leaning on my understanding alone.

I've already noticed some of the "motivations" a few of you talked about concerning instructors and why they may have certain views towards students and whatnot. And it seems those who are the loudest are a minority and set the "tone" for many groups of students.

I really just started the thread to talk about gear issue as a whole with people in various stages of aviation careers and outside of an official setting. The great jacket debate is just an entertaining side note.
You will get more awesome toys when you get to FRS :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This has happened before. It will all happen again. Studs worrying about wearing certain pieces of flair when no one else really cares. Welcome to flight school.

It was the case when I went through and was long before, it may not be a repeat but it certainly rhymes.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
What’s funny about this is back when I went through VT-10, every student wore the leather flight jacket. All the instructors had green Nomex flight jackets from their fleet squadrons and worn those almost exclusively. Nomex flight jackets were the Holy Grail for students.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Honestly, I'm not afraid to wear something I was issued and have met the criteria to do so, by the books. I like knowing what the culture, tradition and different opinions are on the subject so I'm not making decisions blind or leaning on my understanding alone.

I've already noticed some of the "motivations" a few of you talked about concerning instructors and why they may have certain views towards students and whatnot. And it seems those who are the loudest are a minority and set the "tone" for many groups of students.

I really just started the thread to talk about gear issue as a whole with people in various stages of aviation careers and outside of an official setting. The great jacket debate is just an entertaining side note.

I'm pretty sure it was the skipper of API that told us to stick with the summer jacket while we're students during my flight suit friday brief. That was probably 2 skippers ago now though. I've never heard much talk about it around any of my squadrons, but a student in the G-1 would probably stick out. Wear it if you want though, honestly no one is probably going to say anything directly to you about it.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Summer is CWU-36/P and winter is CWU-45/P. At least that's what the labels say on the green fire-resistant jackets hanging in my closet.

I never did put patches on either one, just a lot of oil and hydraulic fluid on the summer jacket.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Summer is CWU-36/P and winter is CWU-45/P. At least that's what the labels say on the green fire-resistant jackets hanging in my closet.

I never did put patches on either one, just a lot of oil and hydraulic fluid on the summer jacket.
So the short waisted CWU 36 & 45 are still being issued - interesting - I have 2 or 3 sitting in my closet <smirk>

When is this jacket issued?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So the short waisted CWU 36 & 45 are still being issued - interesting - I have 2 or 3 sitting in my closet <smirk>

When is this jacket issued?

It's not. It's unit purchased direct from Massif (ADS can probably get it for you, as well, with an even longer wait time).

Dontcallmegump

pilot
I'm pretty sure it was the skipper of API that told us to stick with the summer jacket while we're students during my flight suit friday brief. That was probably 2 skippers ago now though. I've never heard much talk about it around any of my squadrons, but a student in the G-1 would probably stick out. Wear it if you want though, honestly no one is probably going to say anything directly to you about it.

Now we get the flight gear "gouge" brief from the ATS director, who oversees all the officer training at NASC. I hear that's his recommendation but I haven't been through the brief myself yet. I'm interested in what he has to say and how wings = G1 is justified. I've gotten the interpretations of people who do things before/ after when I did and came away with a completely different understanding. There are as many different takeaways as there are students sometimes.

hdr777

pilot
Now we get the flight gear "gouge" brief from the ATS director, who oversees all the officer training at NASC. I hear that's his recommendation but I haven't been through the brief myself yet. I'm interested in what he has to say and how wings = G1 is justified. I've gotten the interpretations of people who do things before/ after when I did and came away with a completely different understanding. There are as many different takeaways as there are students sometimes.

I had that brief fairly recently, I'm pretty sure he said you can wear it whenever, no one cares, and the only thing he said really not to do was have the zipper too far down. The big takeaway was just do what other students are doing (this was also about patches on the right shoulder), so if no one before you is wearing the leather jacket, you would probably get the impression that you shouldn't, even if no one cares and its not stated anymore, I don't think anyone actually asked specific questions about the jacket

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Recommend not wearing a G-1 in S TX during the summertime. Other studs will also probably not be wearing one.

As for the Massif, I like it, got issued via squadron MCO buy (it's not something that will be issued by CNATRA or FRS). There is another similar one that is much cheaper, which I bought off amazon....it just doesn't have chest patch velcro like the Massif, thus making occasional CPO's cringe. Can't remember the name. Both are infinitely better than whatever ridiculous garbage jacket the supply system tried to replace my nomex's with. That thing is an abortion. It looks and feels like wearing a green denim jacket. I'm sure the cost per unit for the manufacturer is double digits, and they charge the government triple.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Both are infinitely better than whatever ridiculous garbage jacket the supply system tried to replace my nomex's with. That thing is an abortion. It looks and feels like wearing a green denim jacket.
You just me an idea to suggest to the uniform board- flannel shirts in the new guacamole camouflage pattern!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Recommend not wearing a G-1 in S TX during the summertime. Other studs will also probably not be wearing one.

As for the Massif, I like it, got issued via squadron MCO buy (it's not something that will be issued by CNATRA or FRS). There is another similar one that is much cheaper, which I bought off amazon....it just doesn't have chest patch velcro like the Massif, thus making occasional CPO's cringe. Can't remember the name. Both are infinitely better than whatever ridiculous garbage jacket the supply system tried to replace my nomex's with. That thing is an abortion. It looks and feels like wearing a green denim jacket. I'm sure the cost per unit for the manufacturer is double digits, and they charge the government triple.
I ordered a replacement for my winter weight and got the same abomination. Completely useless.