• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Initial Flight Gear Issue

Meyerkord

pilot
Easy solutions to most of these problems, and these apply regardless of how new you are to NAVAIR...

Are you cold?
"No": Don't wear your Jacket
"Yea, Kinda": Wear your summer weight jacket/fleece.
"Yes, I'm Fucking Freezing": Wear your G-1.
"Yes, AND my hands are about to get frostbite": Throw your G-1 in the back of your closet, detach to Incirlik/Osan, and get a Pop's Leather (or whatever the Korean version is called) made with fur lined pockets, blood chit liner, 1911 internal carry pocket, and a removable fur interior. Call TG 15 months in advance to order your patches - hope to God he doesn't die before delivery. Proceed to wear your jacket whether you are in a flight suit (because it looks like a uniform item) or out in town (because it isn't actually a uniform item) whenever you want like a normal adult. Tell meddling Chiefs they have more important things to worry about, like the upcoming PFA. Drink many alcoholic beverages and win at life.

Also, buy brown shoes before you get to Pensacola. Or immediately upon arrival at Pensacola. Or anywhere between Newport and Pensacola. This was the advice I was given from my OCS Class Chief (God Bless you ADCM DeManuele, wherever you are), and it was great checking in the first day of API and not looking like trash. Make sure you shine the shit out of them though - no excuse for matte brown oxfords.
99% of people show up with brown shoes. I’d say 10% of people shine them.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Pro tip: skip the Bates brown shoes from the NEX and spend a few bucks more on a quality brown leather shoe, such as Ecco, that doesn't have disintegrating soles.

Pro tip 2: keep a folded up hardcopy of the part of the uniform regs with the phrase "Plain toed, oxford style black, brown..." but does not mention "Bates" anywhere, in case some motard tries to call you out on a nonexistent rule.

Most people will either not actually care or they'll want the gouge on where to buy a uniform shoe that won't fall apart.

Meyerkord

pilot
Pro tip: skip the Bates brown shoes from the NEX and spend a few bucks more on a quality brown leather shoe, such as Ecco, that doesn't have disintegrating soles.

Pro tip 2: keep a folded up hardcopy of the part of the uniform regs with the phrase "Plain toed, oxford style black, brown..." but does not mention "Bates" anywhere, in case some motard tries to call you out on a nonexistent rule.

Most people will either not actually care or they'll want the gouge on where to buy a uniform shoe that won't fall apart.
On one hand, I agree with you. On the other hand, we’ve also been told to not stand out during training. I can see it going either way. Hell, my roommate got shit for having a mustache just because it looked bad even though it was in regs. ?‍♂️

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Summer whites change of commands are good for at least 4 blowouts. White spongy rubber everywhere on the hangar deck!

Dontcallmegump

pilot
Easy solutions to most of these problems, and these apply regardless of how new you are to NAVAIR...

Are you cold?
"No": Don't wear your Jacket
"Yea, Kinda": Wear your summer weight jacket/fleece.
"Yes, I'm Fucking Freezing": Wear your G-1.
"Yes, AND my hands are about to get frostbite": Throw your G-1 in the back of your closet, detach to Incirlik/Osan, and get a Pop's Leather (or whatever the Korean version is called) made with fur lined pockets, blood chit liner, 1911 internal carry pocket, and a removable fur interior. Call TG 15 months in advance to order your patches - hope to God he doesn't die before delivery. Proceed to wear your jacket whether you are in a flight suit (because it looks like a uniform item) or out in town (because it isn't actually a uniform item) whenever you want like a normal adult. Tell meddling Chiefs they have more important things to worry about, like the upcoming PFA. Drink many alcoholic beverages and win at life.

Also, buy brown shoes before you get to Pensacola. Or immediately upon arrival at Pensacola. Or anywhere between Newport and Pensacola. This was the advice I was given from my OCS Class Chief (God Bless you ADCM DeManuele, wherever you are), and it was great checking in the first day of API and not looking like trash. Make sure you shine the shit out of them though - no excuse for matte brown oxfords.

I like the idea of a fur lined POCKETED jacket especially so I can announce to God and all of naval aviation that I'm a slob who enjoys warm hands. Sue me ?

Brown shoes are required for SNAs/SNFOs from Pensacola and beyond. I'm willing to bet a few beers there isn't another shoe at NASC that's shinier than mine, but most people don't even put a single coat on them.

Still waiting for these Chiefs who like to harasses JO's to come out of the woodwork and jump on me for having my hands in my pockets. Then again maybe they'll start with the instructors leaning on the walls in hallways, hands in pockets, joking with students.

Meyerkord

pilot
I'm willing to bet a few beers there isn't another shoe at NASC that's shinier than mine
You're not wrong there. Yours are pretty damn glossy.

Still waiting for these Chiefs who like to harasses JO's to come out of the woodwork and jump on me for having my hands in my pockets.
Does that actually happen? I mean, yeah, at OCS for sure, but in the fleet?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes, though as I mentioned, in the aviation community, it's mostly just during FOD walkdown.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
I like the idea of a fur lined POCKETED jacket especially so I can announce to God and all of naval aviation that I'm a slob who enjoys warm hands. Sue me ?

Brown shoes are required for SNAs/SNFOs from Pensacola and beyond. I'm willing to bet a few beers there isn't another shoe at NASC that's shinier than mine, but most people don't even put a single coat on them.

Still waiting for these Chiefs who like to harasses JO's to come out of the woodwork and jump on me for having my hands in my pockets. Then again maybe they'll start with the instructors leaning on the walls in hallways, hands in pockets, joking with students.

I don't think I ever saw a Chief at the squadron during flight school - do they actually exist there?

In the fleet, especially home cycle/shore tour, they will definitely be present. I was recently accosted in the base galley during lunch for being an example of "poor leadership". My crime was wearing my nomex jacket which is "lightly" adorned with patches. It didn't bother me - the CMC (not mine) that did it clearly had nothing better to do with her time than harass JO's in the lunch line, and she did more harm to her credibility by attempting to berate someone who clearly didn't care. Her hypocrisy became clear when an O-5 jumped the line wearing his jacket bearing similar ornamentation and she didn't say shit - although I'm sure the shit eating grin on my face was worthy of a photograph.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
I don't think I ever saw a Chief at the squadron during flight school - do they actually exist there?

In the fleet, especially home cycle/shore tour, they will definitely be present. I was recently accosted in the base galley during lunch for being an example of "poor leadership". My crime was wearing my nomex jacket which is "lightly" adorned with patches. It didn't bother me - the CMC (not mine) that did it clearly had nothing better to do with her time than harass JO's in the lunch line, and she did more harm to her credibility by attempting to berate someone who clearly didn't care. Her hypocrisy became clear when an O-5 jumped the line wearing his jacket bearing similar ornamentation and she didn't say shit - although I'm sure the shit eating grin on my face was worthy of a photograph.
Oh man, missed opportunity! "Excuse me sir, I think the Master Chief over here has a comment on your jacket."

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I have found that to immediately disarm a Chief can be done in one of two ways:

1. Immediately agree with everything they say and praise them. Case in point: getting off the boat after an extended underway, I had on my sea-bag and a back pack with (the horror!) a yellow stripe on one shoulder while holding my helmet bag in the other hand. (Trying to get off the boat in one swoop and not have to get back on!) Across half the hangar bay a Chief comes running up, out of breath, yelling: "L-T! Hey, L-T! Excuse me, LIEUTENANT!" I look around see a Chief chomping at the bit: "Sir, you know the regulation states that you can't wear a backpack any other color than black!" I smile largely instead of getting frustrated and acting like I'm caught: "Chief! You're right, my gosh, I can't believe I made that mistake, let me adjust it! Have a great day!" Adjusts to the elbow instead of shoulder, continues walking.. "Oh, uh, ok sir, yeah, have a good day."

2. Know the EXACT rule they claim to be quoting, 2 stories here:
Story 1: CMC comes up to me, tells me I can't have a dip in my cover, the regulation states so. I stated whatever it said (too late to actually look it up) something to the effect of: "Nah, CMC, it actually states that the line going front to back must be straight. Mine is still straight; it's not curved. It makes no mention of a dip or not." (Yes, I get it's a sea-lawyered answer, but I was prepared to answer it quickly and honestly with my interpretation.) He also tried getting us to wear black shoes. He quickly changed his tune. By the end of the tour, we genuinely respected each other. Guess who anged more? CMC.

Story 2: PR Chief suddenly makes it mandatory for everyone to wear double hearing protection at FOD Walkdowns, completed before anyone else is even turning up an APU... ever. That means helmets for all my friends. He claims its a NAVOSH requirement or some BS. I end up looking into it, finding the exact dB level at which it's required, show him that an H-60 at whatever distance isn't required, and he is just absolutely stunned. He relents, admits he made it up, didn't even know the regulation existed, but said he was doing it for the best of everyone (which I get, but it was annoying signing gear out, waiting 10 minutes to sign it back in as the whole squadron filed through the PR shop etc.), and ends up changing the rule back to making it optional.