• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

incentive rides

sundevil_av8r

pilot
does the navy give incentive rides in jets like the air force does? i have several friends of mine who are in ROTC/Academy and have rode in F-16s. if the navy does, does anyone know if someone on BDCP can request one?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
No. The ROTC and academy guys occasionally get rides during their summer cruises, but not incentive rides.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Well, I got an F-18 ride... but that was on a summer cruise while assigned to a squadron.

I know once a year the Marines sent an F-18 or two up to Purdue University (where I went to school) and gave rides to prospective officers... They put flyers up everywhere on campus and you had to jump through all sorts of hoops and stuff... but I know it was done.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I got an F-18 ride... but that was on a summer cruise while assigned to a squadron.

I know once a year the Marines sent an F-18 or two up to Purdue University (where I went to school) and gave rides to prospective officers... They put flyers up everywhere on campus and you had to jump through all sorts of hoops and stuff... but I know it was done.

Quite a different animal when taking ROTC vs BDCP though...

nd32

My local OSO took the prospectives up in a Piper Navajo. They also let each one fly it for around 20 minutes. It's no F-18, but it was fun for me given it was my first time at the controls of a plane. It also upped my excitement that I have an air contract!

purduenavy

BDCP SNA
"I know once a year the Marines sent an F-18 or two up to Purdue University (where I went to school) and gave rides to prospective officers... They put flyers up everywhere on campus and you had to jump through all sorts of hoops and stuff... but I know it was done."

Are you sure that they gave rides in 18s? Because I'm at Purdue and I've only seen them give rides in the aircraft that they have at lafayette aviation. The 18s that came up have flown over Ross Ade for football games, but rides?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"I know once a year the Marines sent an F-18 or two up to Purdue University (where I went to school) and gave rides to prospective officers... They put flyers up everywhere on campus and you had to jump through all sorts of hoops and stuff... but I know it was done."

Are you sure that they gave rides in 18s? Because I'm at Purdue and I've only seen them give rides in the aircraft that they have at lafayette aviation. The 18s that came up have flown over Ross Ade for football games, but rides?

Not to say that it hasn't happened, but it does seem like a pretty tall order to get random students through all the flight physiology/water survival stuff, especially at a remote location sans ASTC. Are these kids just supposed to hop in any old flight gear without a proper fit or torso harness hang? I would think that the potential for high viz screw-ups would make this evolution one in which all the rules are adhered to in the extreme. T-34 ride at Miramar is one thing, an ejection seat aircraft on the road is a whole different ballgame.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are these kids just supposed to hop in any old flight gear without a proper fit or torso harness hang?

You could give them someone else's flight gear, of which they can fvck up, gouge the visors, and generally make your life miserable when you are trying to figure out who fvcked with your sh!t.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
It doesn't even have to all come from the same guy, I know when I went through I was playing Goldilocks and the three bears with your guys gear...

sanders

I am on PLC Air contract and a Marine pilot came with a king air and let me and a couple of others take turns flying it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It doesn't even have to all come from the same guy, I know when I went through I was playing Goldilocks and the three bears with your guys gear...

Some of you guys were the most irresponsible MIDN I ever seen. I'm not harping on you, I have no idea if you were the offending party, but in general it was ridiculous. I had a NASTY gouge in my visor after one of you yahoos used my sh!t. Didn't even bother to replace it, just left it there. A buddy of mine got to his locker and all the sh!t in the pockets of the Airsave were hanging out of it.