• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Impacting my future chance?

poprocks17

I recently applied for SWO and SNA. I was picked up for SNA, but not SWO. While I understand this selection is an incredible opportunity, I have to consider all of the options.

I applied to grad school and was recently accepted into my dream Masters program. I am wondering if it would harm my future chances of commissioning if turned down the SNA offer, earn my Masters, and apply to a different community afterwards? My ultimate goal is to serve in the Navy, and make it a career. Because I plan to dedicate a large chunk of my life to the Navy, I would love to involve what I’ve studied.

I know that SNA is an amazing career field and I am very lucky to have been selected. I planned on accepting the commission until I received the unexpected news of my Masters acceptance.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I recently applied for SWO and SNA. I was picked up for SNA, but not SWO. While I understand this selection is an incredible opportunity, I have to consider all of the options.

I applied to grad school and was recently accepted into my dream Masters program. I am wondering if it would harm my future chances of commissioning if turned down the SNA offer, earn my Masters, and apply to a different community afterwards? My ultimate goal is to serve in the Navy, and make it a career. Because I plan to dedicate a large chunk of my life to the Navy, I would love to involve what I’ve studied.

I know that SNA is an amazing career field and I am very lucky to have been selected. I planned on accepting the commission until I received the unexpected news of my Masters acceptance.

Why did you apply if you weren’t 100% in in the first place?

Turn down a job opportunity and yes it will be extremely difficult to reapply and get selected.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

You will regret not going to flight school when you had the opportunity if you don't go. You will not regret not going to grad school.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

Why not let the Navy pay for your Masters program? You could easily be a hot shot Naval Aviator then transition to a more desk-oriented career and have the Navy pay for it and the associated Masters Degree and possibly language skills. Why the hell would you choose more debt and a possibly useless degree when you could go spend your time in Pensacola learning to flight a military aircraft?

snake020

Contributor
Go Navy.

You'll have plenty of opportunity to go back to grad school either on active duty or after you leave.

Or if you want to make a mess, enroll, and then file for military leave of absence with the university. By law, they're supposed to readmit you with the catalog rights you had at the time you left as long as you do it within five years.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Every one here is right. Go SNA. I have my undergraduate degree, I have two Master’s degrees, and a Ph.D. Going to Navy flight school not only taught me a remarkable skill set...it set me up to be a far better student when I eventually went to grad school.

thosefreakinATs

insert witty comment here
pilot
this is your only chance at this. they will not accept you ever again if you turn this down. oh by the way, navy has a great masters program for officers and having "navy war college" as a masters alma mater is pretty baller for post navy gigs.

yes you will regret it. masters programs will always be there. this wont