• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS/NFO's

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I'm currently in IFS and so far haven't enjoyed it a whole lot. However, whether I like it or not doesn't deter me from giving 100% at everything I do. I'll give that effort regardless of my attitude or personal opinion of the validity of the program for SNFO's. However, I have a little bit of a problem with being told that my whole naval career in aviation may ride on a solo check-ride given by a civilian instructor.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not complaining. I'm glad to have the opportunity on the navy's dime but it's a military screening process not run by military personnel. Maybe some were but a lot were not and having several different companies do the training means you get huge inconsistencies in the screening process.

Which flight are you on? The check rides arent that bad. I suppose if you're having a real hard time keeping your heading and altitudes constant it might be difficult, but the instructors told me that the check rides are also to evaluate how your instructors have been teaching you. I was sort of worried about mine too before I did them, but by the time you get there its really a piece of cake as long as you paid attention to everything and studied things that you were weak on.

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
I'm not far enough into flights to judge but I've already seen a few people who don't pass a check ride and have to stress about going to "speak to the man" as they say.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
If you think a military screening process with the instructors being civilians is bullshit, then you are right IMHO. Furthermore, I think IFS is a good program for SNA's but for the love of God, why are we wasting the money on SNFO's. I think my background sort of gives me latitude to have an opinion on this one.

FlyinRock

FP
Since you have been on both sides of the issue of course your opinon has weight. However, being on both sides of the issues as well and an IFS instructor, I can tell you those who can't hack it here in the simple program they are exposed to won't hack it in the military program either. The whole purpose of IFS is MONEY.
Some of the schools have civilians who have ZERO military background, and others have retired or prior military. Most have at least one or more military backgrounds. At Mobile there are three of us with heavy military experience who ride herd on the youngsters who don't. I've been pleased to fly with, and work with, naval aviators and NFO's in the IFS program and we all feel it is a worthwhile program.
From the feedback I get over the past 4-5 years, the Navy feels it is a cost saving program and apparently so does the Air Force.
Best Personal Regards
Semper Fi
Rocky

Njc242

I don't really understand why people are like that, if it was me who got NFO select instead of SNA I would still be busting my ass off cause I wanna fly no matter what haha

dimlight85

Another flight today...went well with the exception of the whole landing/traffic pattern thing. Is it alright that I was told by an instructor that because it's a screening process he didn't want to give too much instruction?

Slammer2

Contributor
As in dont give too much instruction to make it harder and see what you're made of? Wouldnt giving "extra" instruction serve that purpose? As in give you a ton a shit to do to make your brain burn and see how you handle it...

Or as in this is only a screening process so you dont really need to learn how to fly?

Sounds shitty either way.

FlyinRock

I believe I'd ask for clarification to see if what you heard is what he said or meant. Then, if it is accurate, I believe I'd ask the Chief Instructor if that is the official school attitude.
It sure as hell isn't at FTM in Mobile. Of course its a screening program but it is also a training one. How in hell can anyone be screened for that which they don't know? The whole purpose is to see if you have the aptitude for an aviation slot.
That is a new one to me ....
Semper Fi
Rocky

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm guessing he's at Bay Minette. When I classed up they told us they were sending all NFOs there starting with my class (I started on Nov 3) so unless they've changed that policy I'd bet that's where he is. If that's the case, I'm surprised. None of the instructors I flew with when I was there had that attitude unless they've hired some new ones. Some did say to me they thought having NFOs there to do the whole IFS syllabus was stupid, but they still gave me all the help I needed and asked for nonetheless.

kat27

If you have your private you go straight to API after OCS? I know a couple of dudes that have more than 60 hours in a plane but don't have their license, will they make them do IFS?
kat

Slammer2

Contributor
If you have your private you go straight to API after OCS? I know a couple of dudes that have more than 60 hours in a plane but don't have their license, will they make them do IFS?
kat

This has been brought up several times in the past week. If you have a Private, you will skip IFS. As far as having a bunch of hours but no Private, if you've completed your solo cross country you will skip IFS. Thats currently as far as IFS takes you so once you've completed an IFS's-worth of the Private pilot program, you skip.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Point of information, my IFS instructor was a retired AF LCOL with twice as many flight hours than I have had days alive. Sorry I didn't make that clear in my previous post. :eek:

That man has more combat hours than most of the other instructors have total time. In both helo AND fixed wing. Legendary.

dimlight85

Since I have no flight experience whatsoever (until now) and am technically taking flight lessons then I should receive all of the instruction I ask for. It shouldn't be the concern of the school what the Navy's purpose is with the program. They should teach everyone person who comes through their doors with the same level of concern or interest regardless of who is paying for it.

red_ryder

None
I might disagree with some of you. As an SNFO, I have found IFS to be a most helpful experience in every phase of training so far, including up to VNAV's. It is far from a waste of time for SNFO's, and IIRC it wasn't a cake walk either.

I'd rather you not "crank up the heat" any more, because then the focus would be on survival, rather than on good training. Just my .02.