• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS/NFO's

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
And that's absolutely horrible advice.

I'm curious which ensign thought that piece of advice up...and why he's trying to throw his fellow Ensigns under the bus. That's actually really embarrassing that someone would imply that you don't need to study to be successful in IFS.

Submarinerssbn, I'm an SNFO and let me tell you, the stuff you learn in IFS translates DIRECTLY to what you will study in API. As an NFO, you'll need some of this stuff (read: NAV) understood on a pretty high level, so if you wanna get a leg up on you API studies, study your BRAINS out for IFS and get good grades there. Shift your focus off the actual piloting and more on the technical aspects of it, like navigation and weather. It'll help you in the long run, it's certainly helped me so far in API!

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I am going to IFS soon (as snfo) and alot of the gouge that people are telling me is you don't need to study, don't over think it, it's easy, etc. i kinda think of it like any other gouge, take it with a grain of salt, so much changes so fast around here what was good for one individual might not be good for another.

the way i see it is if you wanna be good at your trade, then you'll learn everything you can, it's a chance to develop the study habits etc. i figured you'd need to get through the pipeline, i am actually glad i did'nt come here with a ppl cause it will give me a chance to get prepared. if you have a strong foundation of the basics then you'll probably be sucessful at building on that and understanding later on.

can't speak for everyone but i know a couple of us who are trying and who take it serious. don't give up on all of us.

Having completed IFS about a few weeks ago, I will tell you that is bad gouge. I'm in API right now, and honestly, the first week of ground school is pretty rigorous and pretty comparable to what I'm enduring now as far as academics are concerned. There is A LOT of stuff to know. A lot more than I anticipated and I found myself studying a good 3-5 hours each night during ground school, and about 4-6 over the weekend and right before the actual FAA test. You go through that entire Jeppessen book in ONE week. If you can commit all that material to your brain without having to study then you're obviously the rockstar all us normal students wish to be. I remember taking repeated practice tests over and over again (at least a dozen times) on the sporty's website until it got to the point where I was seeing the same questions over and over. It's not that hard overall, it is pretty much straight up memorization so you do need to devote time to that. Smarts doesn't ensure anything, in our class of five at Mobile, the Electrical Engineer had the lowest FAA score and the music major had the second highest (we all passed with flying colors though, when I said lowest that doesn't mean it was a piss poor low score). But speaking of that, this is what I've learned so far in the training pipeline: when taking exams, scores in the 90-95% are average. So doing enough to get your 80% and pass is actually piss poor when compared to your peers.

Now, when the actual flying starts, I would be lying if I said I studied 3-5 hours a night for my flights. For me, that would have been overkill. Some flights are really easy, some flights are more challenging. I found myself studying a lot in the beginning, but once I memorized all my procedures, radio calls/frequencies, and figured out how to read weather reports and actually use them, there really wasn't too much else to study. But definitely spend some time chair flying. While knowing the knowledge may be great and all, you still to have to demonstrate the monkey skills. If you're chair flying for a power-on stall and you need to add that right rudder in there to battle the p-factor, physically move your foot as if you were stepping on the right rudder. Looking back now, I probably did not have enough proactive and meaningful chair flying sessions to better myself since I had issues with my rudder control. Chair flying helps with the muscle memory so instead of having to think it out, you just do it.

On check rides, you better know your shit. This includes everything that was covered in ground school and in the actual flight lessons. Depending on who you get for your check ride, some of the oral exams are 20 minutes long, or in the rare case like I had, I had one guy who would spend up to an hour :bigeyes_1. I spent at least 5 hours the night before getting ready for my checkride and would go to the FBO early to study even more. The one thing I've learned about check rides, it's pretty easy to forget stupid stuff if you're not ready or assumed you will easily remember it and don't bother reviewing it. Also, if you mess up a few things, the ball starts to roll down hill and more errors and mistakes compile on top of it.

Oh yeah, after having been to a board, it would really look piss poor and bad on yourself if you went to it for a flying issue and not knowing your knowledge. Yes it may take some longer than others (like myself during Stage 1) to successfully put a plane in the air and back safely onto the deck, but there's no reason why a flight student shouldn't know his or her material.

So short answer, yes you will most likely need to study during IFS. Besides, this is going to be your profession. You should know everything about it.

**One last thing I forgot, just want to emphasize that this is not training, but a flight SCREENING program. This was definitely brought to my attention at my board. If I couldn't hack it because my stick and rudder skills sucked, then fine, not everybody is meant to be a pilot. But I would have hated to have been attrited out for simply not studying.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Haha, I'll add this in here for laughs. If you do get lucky enough to fly with Rocky in Mobile, I would hate to be that unfortunate student in the plane with him that didn't study.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I'd say that, in general, you should only study as much as you need to so you don't get burned out. However, anytime you start a new phase / block of training, you don't really know how much you need to study. So, if you're starting out a new part of training, study your @ss off until you feel comfortable enough to ease up a bit. Would you rather find out you're studying too hard or not hard enough?

EDIT: just to clear up, I'm not saying 80 pays the rent. Strive for perfection, but there is such a thing as over-doing it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
It all boils down to the individual, some guys get it and study less and others don't get it, study quite a bit. Find what works for you and go there :D

FlyinRock

Haha, I'll add this in here for laughs. If you do get lucky enough to fly with Rocky in Mobile, I would hate to be that unfortunate student in the plane with him that didn't study.
Really that bad? <G> It's just that I take this stuff pretty serious and if a student isn't prepared for a simple civil training flight, how in hell are they going to fare when it gets tough?
There have been a few times when I just canceled a flight when it became obvious during the preflight brief that the stud hadn't done any study or prep for the syllabus flight. Why waste the time and expense. It very seldom happened more than once with the same stud. Appears that I have a way about me that gets their undivided attention and no desire for a repeat.
Yes this is a screening program as well as training. I just write up the grades the way I see them based on many thousands of hours and students.
I'll be in Uganda until at least the 7thJuly. These guys would give up their first born to fly the equipment in IFS and get the level of training you are getting. That is no exaggeration either.
Semper Fi
Rocky

FlyinRock

I am going to IFS soon (as snfo) and alot of the gouge that people are telling me is you don't need to study, don't over think it, it's easy, etc. i kinda think of it like any other gouge, take it with a grain of salt, so much changes so fast around here what was good for one individual might not be good for another.

the way i see it is if you wanna be good at your trade, then you'll learn everything you can, it's a chance to develop the study habits etc. i figured you'd need to get through the pipeline, i am actually glad i did'nt come here with a ppl cause it will give me a chance to get prepared. if you have a strong foundation of the basics then you'll probably be sucessful at building on that and understanding later on.

can't speak for everyone but i know a couple of us who are trying and who take it serious. don't give up on all of us.
Good for you. Anyone who says you can skate through any military school that is pertinent to your profession is a fool or setting you up for big time failure.
It doesn't take long to figure out who the serious ones are, or the ones who are going to struggle, and the ones who don't really know why in hell they're even in the aviation program! Seriously, I have had more than a few who told me it just sounded "neat" or cool or whatever, and had no idea it was actually going to make them work! It is one of the first questions I ask of a new stud to check their level of motivation, background, major, goals, etc. I invite them to ask me questions too and have told every class that I am open to questions anytime regardless of who their primary instructor is. For those who are serious about getting thru IFS and on into API and Primary, I'll bend over backwards to do what I can and especially if they are struggling. Show me a positive attitude and I'll respond in kind. Show me a crap attitude and you're just a number going thru the motions. You'll be graded just like everyone else without benefit of any extra info or guidance on my part. They'll probably show up for a PRB and explain their lackluster performance.
Hope we get to fly one day if you go to FTM in Mobile.
Semper Fi
Rocky

BeerMe

ifs... pretty easy. way easier than most of my classes in school. studied way more for thermo in a weekend during finals than i did for all of ifs.

just don't be an idiot, and study for the FAA...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ifs... pretty easy. way easier than most of my classes in school. studied way more for thermo in a weekend during finals than i did for all of ifs.

just don't be an idiot, and study for the FAA...

Okay, so you're that guy we've been talking about. IFS may have been easy for you, but it's not easy for everyone. Cease giving advice; you're just adding to the parade of IFS PRB-ees we see every week who "heard IFS was easy".

Incidentally, just studying enough to get by will not get you very far in the Program. We see a lot of those guys in PRBs as well.

submarinerssbn

flying rock, uncle fester, scott, you guys only re-enforced what i kinda had in mind, thanks. tomorrow i find out if i am gonna get to go to mobile or not, but regardless after ifs i plan on getting the rest of the private pilot license so rock, i just might take you up on that offer of flying.... do you guys out there offer a program to finish getting the remainder of a ppl after ifs? i know it will be outta my pocket.....

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
So a student is graded in IFS and based on what scale? I assume folks flunk out or quit IFS. I still saw plenty of weak studs come through primary flight training even with IFS. My understanding IFS was kind of an intro to flying, to help a stud determine whether or not they liked flying and to see if they had an apptitude for flying. In my day, there was no IFS so I assume it's a nice to have sort of thing. Isn't primary flight training really where they learn to fly the Navy way, deal with the attitudes, etc? I can see being ready for a flight but I'm sensing that maybe some want IFS to be hardore when it's just an intro program.

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
By having any IFS student who fails a stage check or a safe to solo appear before a board makes it "hardcore." Strange that they do that here since I have been told that academy grads, air force, and marines who do IFS elsewhere don't have to do such a thing. Seems to me like it just creates a headache for those having to sit on boards constantly boarding IFS failures.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
By having any IFS student who fails a stage check or a safe to solo appear before a board makes it "hardcore." Strange that they do that here since I have been told that academy grads, air force, and marines who do IFS elsewhere don't have to do such a thing.

WTF are you talking about? In English please.

FlyinRock

flying rock, uncle fester, scott, you guys only re-enforced what i kinda had in mind, thanks. tomorrow i find out if i am gonna get to go to mobile or not, but regardless after ifs i plan on getting the rest of the private pilot license so rock, i just might take you up on that offer of flying.... do you guys out there offer a program to finish getting the remainder of a ppl after ifs? i know it will be outta my pocket.....
Thats affirm and if there is a delay between API and IFS its a good time to do it. I've heard from others who also say you might be better off hitting the books pre-API. I thnk it depends on how well you are taking to the whole thing? Best guess about another 2K.
Good luck and Semper Fi
Rocky