• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Costs $751.25 to member

hummole

Hummer Mole (ret)
None
You could just send the man in Texas a PM. He is an active member of AW & he actually cares about what is happening to his SNAs & SNFOs.

I'm sure he does, none of this is to be construed to mean that I think any of these guys don't care, if you think that you are dead wrong. I am standing by for someone out there who knows how it is possible to administer this program in such a manner to show me the references, chapter and verse, that absolves NASC or any organization of the requirement to follow the MILPERSMAN and JFTR. If that can happen then I challenge whoever you are out there to do it, show me.

If I knew how and what his screen name was I would PM him but I am a neophyte to all of this forum stuff. How come you haven't sent him a PM?

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Umm, none of them want to jump the chain of command?

Umm, NO as an Ensign I wouldn't want to jump the chain of command nor do I think it is ever the right thing to do though it often seems easier. So if Hummole is working it up the chain he can find the man in Texas' screen name is the same as his real life name.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Umm, NO as an Ensign I wouldn't want to jump the chain of command nor do I think it is ever the right thing to do though it often seems easier. ...
What, you don't want to get a one way pass, center stage, and singled out for jumping the chain? Will wonders never cease :D

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
hummole, thanks for standing up for the little guys. This has been an issue on here for a long time, and I've always said they rated the compensation per the references you have cited. It was never my cross to bare though, and never will be as I have my PPL.

For the rest of you guys who are going through this IFS thing, and are quite new to our military family. Be careful what you wish for. The leadership has a way of coming up with solutions to problems like this that will make you wish you were driving yourself every day. I've alluded to the 7-ton scenario several times, which may not be a possibility in west Florida, but having to show up at 0430 to catch something that resembles a prison bus with a gaggle of other O-1s is most certainly a possibility. Comfort and convenience will likely be sacrificed to satisfy your current conundrum.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The leadership has a way of coming up with solutions to problems like this that will make you wish you were driving yourself every day. I've alluded to the 7-ton scenario several times, which may not be a possibility in west Florida, but having to show up at 0430 to catch something that resembles a prison bus with a gaggle of other O-1s is most certainly a possibility. Comfort and convenience will likely be sacrificed to satisfy your current conundrum.

Yep, visions of PLC and TBS cattle cars flash across my forehead....careful what you wish for...

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
hummole, thanks for standing up for the little guys. This has been an issue on here for a long time, and I've always said they rated the compensation per the references you have cited. It was never my cross to bare though, and never will be as I have my PPL.

For the rest of you guys who are going through this IFS thing, and are quite new to our military family. Be careful what you wish for. The leadership has a way of coming up with solutions to problems like this that will make you wish you were driving yourself every day. I've alluded to the 7-ton scenario several times, which may not be a possibility in west Florida, but having to show up at 0430 to catch something that resembles a prison bus with a gaggle of other O-1s is most certainly a possibility. Comfort and convenience will likely be sacrificed to satisfy your current conundrum.

I've been contemplating a workable solution to present (you know, present a solution, not a problem, etc, etc) to IFS, but I can anticipate their reply: IFS is a place of duty, we will provide buses out at 0500 and back at 1700.

I'm sure the schools would love to have a gaggle of O-1's hanging around for 12 hours, but I'm betting it'd be cheaper for the Navy than reimbursing us individually.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

No kidding. I don't see what the gripe is for. When I did IFS after TBS, we had to drive to Manassas nearly every day. We car-pooled/traded driving duties and were glad to be out of Quantico.

If you really make it a point with the command, be prepared to enjoy your new Govy van ride at the asscrack of dawn.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
If they were to reimburse Lt's and Ensigns for travel expenses, whose budget would those funds come from? Assuming it didn't come out of the base's budget, I would think they had no problem demonstrating there is no practical was to bus all of us and would just pass the buck as happens day in and day out in the federal government. It happens at the DMV and every government bureaucracy to the average citizen's detriment. Why can't we have it happen to our benefit in this case?

I guess if they reimbursed LT's for travel expenses according to the laws written by the legislative branch of the United States Government, there wouldn't be enough money for flat screen TV's on every wall in the gym and to display the menus at the chow hall.

hummole

Hummer Mole (ret)
None
No kidding. I don't see what the gripe is for. When I did IFS after TBS, we had to drive to Manassas nearly every day. We car-pooled/traded driving duties and were glad to be out of Quantico.

If you really make it a point with the command, be prepared to enjoy your new Govy van ride at the asscrack of dawn.

Yes the answer may well be some sort of government transportation, and yes that might or most probably would prove to be a red ass, in fact if I was the guy in charge of "fixing" the problem that is the first tack I would take. I would look at a way of providing reliable and timely transportation for all involved. The truth of the matter is this, if a viable plan for government provided transportation is established then no one has a reason to bitch, moan or complain and I consider the fight over and "we" won. I am not doing this to put money in these students pockets, my entire point is to stop the abuse of the students just because budgets are tight and the "little guy" is not really in a position to wage the good fight of faith. If you guys out there think I am doing this so you can get a little extra jingle in your pocket you are way off the mark, I'm doing this so you don't have to use your own money, not necessarily make money.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
If they were to reimburse Lt's and Ensigns for travel expenses, whose budget would those funds come from? Assuming it didn't come out of the base's budget, I would think they had no problem demonstrating there is no practical was to bus all of us and would just pass the buck as happens day in and day out in the federal government. It happens at the DMV and every government bureaucracy to the average citizen's detriment. Why can't we have it happen to our benefit in this case?

I guess if they reimbursed LT's for travel expenses according to the laws written by the legislative branch of the United States Government, there wouldn't be enough money for flat screen TV's on every wall in the gym and to display the menus at the chow hall.

From a CO's perspective, bussing you out at sunup and bringing you back at sundown is a perfectly practical system - you're on duty and your time's already paid for every 2 weeks from DFAS.

If this were the civilian sector (and I were in charge), I'd have an a reimbursement system tied to how many flights you logged, since there's a logging and authentication (school has to sign off) system already in place, in addition to vans for ground school.

But money only flows through strange channels in the Military and I'm not aware of a simple way for a CO to disburse those funds. Plus....if it's 700/student, and assume say, you've got 40 students kicking off a month, that's 28k a month. Might be a strong incentive for them to populate the closer programs.

phrogpilot73

Those flat screens come from a different pot of money...

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Those flat screens come from a different pot of money...

Then I guess the question is why does that pot have so much money??? Now I enjoy the treadmills w/ TVs but the flat screens on the wall are useless. I wish they could have bought some full size towels instead.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Then I guess the question is why does that pot have so much money??? Now I enjoy the treadmills w/ TVs but the flat screens on the wall are useless. I wish they could have bought some full size towels instead.
Apples and oranges... Our gym facilities have greatly improved over the last decade thanks to the efforts of MWR revenue, money from sailors and marines used at on base services, going back to take care of facilities.

Side note: Maybe I am different generation, but I have read all the posts, and I still don't see the heartache involved in driving to Mobile for IFS and the associated costs. Those $$ out of pocket are a pittance in the big scheme of things, and would give me flexibility of movement in my own car, to meet my own schedule... VICE ... a command imposed show up for muster at O dark thirty.

Reactions: Tom