• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Costs $751.25 to member

magnetfreezer

Yeah, no lie. Esp if you have Miles @ Eglin. You'll get your "night" flying in before the sun comes up!

Yep, nothing like doing the last 4 hour XC and landing back at Eglin by 0730... on a Saturday. If you have to call up the tower to have them wake the ground control guy up so you can taxi, it's probably a bad time to fly:D

hummole

Hummer Mole (ret)
None
I heard a rumor that there is now a shuttle van/bus to Bay Minnette. Is that true? If it is why there and not the other sites, maybe someone should ask the question?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I heard a rumor that there is now a shuttle van/bus to Bay Minnette. Is that true? If it is why there and not the other sites, maybe someone should ask the question?

Unless they added a van, one of the three vans has always been assigned to Bay Minnette, mainly because they have the most students there. I haven't heard anything new wrt transportation.

hummole

Hummer Mole (ret)
None
Yes I knew about a van already being dedicated i was told there is another and it runs as a shuttle.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Yes I knew about a van already being dedicated i was told there is another and it runs as a shuttle.

Hadn't heard about it, but I'm over at Mobile, so that may have something to do w/ it.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Well, the bay minette van kinda acts like a shuttle when ground school is in operation. It is a big one, so most of the people take it when they are in ground school for that one week. They haven't told me about a van up there, but what do I know, I haven't flown since Sunday due to this darn weather...

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
More important question......who gets the case of scotch for a guaranteed spot at Milton? :D

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
So for everyone who hasn't said it yet: thank you.

Yes, thank you to hummole and also to fc2spyguy who brought up the whole issue. I know I for one had never heard of the JFTR until reading this thread.

Rumor on the green side of the house is that the comand knows of the issue, but doesn't have the money for either transpo or reimbursement of mileage. I think this is a stock answer though as we're only halfway through the fiscal year. I think it is code for they don't want to take the money from somewhere else to pay for this-- which I can understand. But, the regulations are pretty clear, and it isn't a choice on their part.

One of the suggestions was to take a tax deduction, but that was a weak alternative as well. 19% isn't the same as 100%, and you have to itemize anyway.

For those that do IFS in Pensacola, do you get official orders written telling you to do IFS? I have been doing some of my own research, and it seems like it is very hard to prove anything admin-wise with "implied" orders sending you to IFS.

hummole

Hummer Mole (ret)
None
Yes, thank you to hummole and also to fc2spyguy who brought up the whole issue. I know I for one had never heard of the JFTR until reading this thread.

Rumor on the green side of the house is that the comand knows of the issue, but doesn't have the money for either transpo or reimbursement of mileage. I think this is a stock answer though as we're only halfway through the fiscal year. I think it is code for they don't want to take the money from somewhere else to pay for this-- which I can understand. But, the regulations are pretty clear, and it isn't a choice on their part.

One of the suggestions was to take a tax deduction, but that was a weak alternative as well. 19% isn't the same as 100%, and you have to itemize anyway.

For those that do IFS in Pensacola, do you get official orders written telling you to do IFS? I have been doing some of my own research, and it seems like it is very hard to prove anything admin-wise with "implied" orders sending you to IFS.

The rumor is probably fact. I doubt they have the money, in fact I doubt the money was ever budgeted for and I think that the van option was originally set up and did not get sufficient use so it morphed into what you see today. The blame goes to NASC for allowing that to happen. Even if the vans were originally set up and not used, allowing the situation to degrade into what you are faced with now is a lack of foresight. If that is in fact the way things developed they, NASC, or their predecessors, exercised poor judgment in allowing that to happen and have placed themselves and their command into a position to become the subject of increased scrutiny.

Unfortunately I have not received any communication from CNATRA on this matter which led me to take the next step. For now the situation is out of my hands, I can do no more in an active manner, now we have to sit and wait for our elected officials to act on my request. I will keep all informed how things progress, unfortunately I can't put a time line on how long it might take, the long pole in this tent is how long it takes for the Congressman to act, once he does and the inquiry hits the street the command has something like 3-6 days to respond...we'll see.

phrogpilot73

For now the situation is out of my hands, I can do no more in an active manner, now we have to sit and wait for our elected officials to act on my request. I will keep all informed how things progress, unfortunately I can't put a time line on how long it might take, the long pole in this tent is how long it takes for the Congressman to act, once he does and the inquiry hits the street the command has something like 3-6 days to respond...we'll see.
And just like that, some poor IP got hit with a CONGRINT investigation. I feel for whoever it is, because I've had to do one. Timeline sounds about right, I remember that we had ours lengthened slightly because we were underway (and were pulling into port in 2 days, which would have made interviewing the key individuals who were on the other ship easier).

hummole

Hummer Mole (ret)
None
Just thought I would touch base here for a sec and let you guys know that I have not dropped the ball or departed the pattern. I have not heard back in any format from my elected official, so I am still waiting to see how things progress. Has anything at all developed there to ease the situation??

News Flash. I had no more than finished posting the above paragraph and my phone rings and it is the Congressmans office. Bottom line up front: Since this is a "Policy issue" it will be referred to their Legislative Director to take forward to "Big Navy" (my term). So what does that mean? It means that the corrections to the situation will not happen anytime real soon at least not soon enough to help you guys facing the costs currently. However, this entire episode will potentially help out those who follow you into the pipeline...at some point. In order to get some type of relatively immediate action someone who is there is going to have to initiate an inquiry via their elected official specifically focused on the fact that "they" are getting screwed. That would be a by name thing....any takers? Didn't think so and if I was in your shoes I would not do it either

So what do you guys take away from this whole thing? Directly probably nothing, I doubt that all of a sudden you are going to be handed a claim form to cover your expenses. Maybe a shuttle system that is fairly convienient...maybe that might be the long range outcome but not while you are there. I would hope that you might log into your brain housing group some of what it takes to correct inequities or at least address them competently and not just whine about them. More important than that I hope you remember how much you disliked feeling that you were getting screwed and how helpless you felt to do anything about it because of the "system". Soon you will assume positions of responsibility and you will make decisions that affect junior folks and it is your responsibility to ALWAYS DO THE RIGHT THING and fight the good fight.

If you haven't gotten this piece of advice yet: Don"t F#@$ it up" Be safe, stay cool, and go out and conquer your fears.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
They are starting a shuttle shortly for the furthest location, with multiple trips each day. The drivers will be students (ensigns and 2nd lts) at the flight school who are not flying that day. I don't want to say more, because you will find out the info you need if you are assigned to that flight school. But having seen the schedule I would say that it should work out OK. It's not the best, but better.

JSketto

Primary
Gas Money for IFS Travel

So what is the Navy's rationale behind not paying for the gas money spent going back and forth to IFS training....I know there are vans available but those arent always your best bet.......