• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Costs $751.25 to member

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
So, I was bored and decided that I would figure out how much the cost of IFS is to the member.

Figuring for 30 trips to Mobile and back it's 3600 miles of driving on the vehicle. Now, just for gas that works out to $751.25. My truck averages ~16mpg.

Just putting that out there. For those of you who say just use Navy vehicles? I would love to, but since only two are available for Mobile, it's difficult to get your hands on one, and I think they said you're only supposed to use it for ground school, so subtract 7 days, and you're saving a little there.

utak

Don't forget driving over to the airport to get the first flight of the day, and waiting around all morning cause of bad weather, only to realize that all flights are canceled.

magnetfreezer

A lot of the AF dudes here that went to Eglin/other far away places for IFS were able to get mileage by submitting a SF1164 to the finance guys. Apparently the normal DD1351-2 wouldn't work without official TAD orders for IFS but the 1164 is intended for reimbursements of any official expense so a supervisor signature was the only thing necessary. If the Navy accepts 1164s that might be worth looking into.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I did IFS at Eglin, used the van for ground school and car pooled for flights. That was a long drive... esp when you had to be there at 0500 for Col. Mile's morning flight... that guy...

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
A lot of the AF dudes here that went to Eglin/other far away places for IFS were able to get mileage by submitting a SF1164 to the finance guys. Apparently the normal DD1351-2 wouldn't work without official TAD orders for IFS but the 1164 is intended for reimbursements of any official expense so a supervisor signature was the only thing necessary. If the Navy accepts 1164s that might be worth looking into.

I'll look into that tomorrow, I have to go into the IFS office then. I'll post here if that works out for Navy studs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is there any reason why you guys don't just claim it on your taxes? I know it may not be enough if you only use a standard deduction, but if you itemize, you can claim the travel. I did when driving for RDO duty from Whiting since we don't get reimbursed and we don't get government travel (ie, plane) when going to 12J.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Is there any reason why you guys don't just claim it on your taxes? I know it may not be enough if you only use a standard deduction, but if you itemize, you can claim the travel. I did when driving for RDO duty from Whiting since we don't get reimbursed and we don't get government travel (ie, plane) when going to 12J.
I am not so sure you were allowed to claim your travel expenses for RDO duty, and I'm not sure IFS studs can deduct their travel.

IRS Tax Topic 511 Business Travel Expenses said:
You are traveling away from home if your duties require you to be away from the general area of your tax home for a period substantially longer than an ordinary day's work, and you need to get sleep or rest to meet the demands of your work while away.

Generally, your tax home is the entire city or general area where your main place of business or work is located, regardless of where you maintain your family home.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc511.html

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did IFS at Eglin, used the van for ground school and car pooled for flights. That was a long drive... esp when you had to be there at 0500 for Col. Mile's morning flight... that guy...
Ah, another Miles alum. Nothing like living on GMT when the rest of the world is living on Eastern time . . . look! It's 1930! Bedtime so I can get up at 0330!

In all seriousness, though, by the time I was in Primary I was glad to have had him.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Don't forget driving over to the airport to get the first flight of the day, and waiting around all morning cause of bad weather, only to realize that all flights are canceled.

crying_baby_rbby_92.jpg

Just wait until Primary!

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I remember the days of waking up at 2am to go pick up the duty van, so we could beat the mobile guys that tried to get it at 3am.... even though we didnt have to leave Pensacola until 4am or 6am....

And the days of leaving Pensacola at 2am to make it to my brief and flight on time...

IFS in 19 days... Go!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I am not so sure you were allowed to claim your travel expenses for RDO duty, and I'm not sure IFS studs can deduct their travel.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc511.html

Interesting. Your quote agrees w/ your statement. I've heard from a CPA here (that does A LOT of guys' taxes here) that RDO is legit. I'm sure having "military" checked on the tax form helps, but apparently he's not getting audited for something like this for all the hundreds of forms he does.

The way TurboTax asks the question, it seemed like a legit deduction.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Just wait until Primary!

No kidding. I can't tell you how many times I made the 0445 drive to Whiting in the fog knowing full well that our 0600 brief was going to be canceled. Then to have the instructor call you from his bed and cancel would drive me insane. Never mind how unprofessional that is.

The choice to drive your own vehicle is yours. To drive one that gets 16mpg is the same. I can say that because I drive 35 miles to work every day, and get the same gas mileage. I figure it costs me about 15 bucks to drive to/from work every day. 5 days a week.