• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If going to Iraq, your choice of weapon

Skeet

Banned
Well, I'll be able to post to you from Iraq in two weeks. I'll let you know what works. Signed the contract, tonight.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Skeet - whatever weapons you decide to carry, you will need something that is sustainable and you can train on. Also make sure your employer has the appropriate import agreements in place to import firearms. This has been a major headache for contractors; forcing many to adopt AK platforms (74's). Some agencies bring lots of parts kits and furniture and procure AK series weapons in country and have an armorer build what they need.

The MP-7 is a good idea but the ammo would be tough to come by I would think, unless other folks in your employer;'s care are carrying the same thing. I'm guessing if you stick to 5.56 and 9mm you should have access to ample supplies for training and operations. Also I would feel more comfortable with an AR/M-4 because like it or not, visually and sound wise it identifies you as a Friendly. You could probably find a decent rifle here and just have your employer make sure it's there when you arrive. Also this allows you to pick up whatever parts/bits/accessories you want from a survival standpoint.

Don't underestimate the need for training with your weapons. You already know that I'm sure.

So what's your employers policies on choice of weapons, maintenance, supplies, ammo? Would be interested to hear.

Pistol wise I would stay away from anything exotic. Get a simple Glock in 9mm and call it done.

Please share your experiences onboarding, training, etc. Let the rest of us know what it's really like doing this sort of job..

Pitchlock

pilot
Any bears in Iraq?

Smith and Wesson
Model: 500
Caliber: .500
Capacity: 5 Rounds
Barrel Length: 2 3/4"
Front Sight: Red Ramp
Rear Sight: Adjustable
Grip: Rubber
Frame: Extra Large
Finish: Satin Stainless
Overall Length: 9"
Material: Stainless Steel
Weight Empty: 54.8 oz.

Attachments

• 163503_case_lg.jpg
    163503_case_lg.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 54

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Any bears in Iraq?

Smith and Wesson
Model: 500
Caliber: .500
Capacity: 5 Rounds
Barrel Length: 2 3/4"
Front Sight: Red Ramp
Rear Sight: Adjustable
Grip: Rubber
Frame: Extra Large
Finish: Satin Stainless
Overall Length: 9"
Material: Stainless Steel
Weight Empty: 54.8 oz.

Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I think someone mentioned that it depends on the situation. If I were flying over Iraq, one of the weapons I would choose would be silenced and able to carry multiple rounds....like a Ruger Mk II or a Grendel P-30 (30 rounds of .22 Mag/magazine).

An old friend of mine who egressed during the Vietnam war told me that his biggest worry about being caught was not the VC or the NVA (he knew that being on their turf that they would always have him outgunned), but the random villager or dog that happened upon him. That is why he carried a .22......low noise (when sniping food or unwelcome visitors) , able to carry mulitple rounds, etc.

gunfighting is gunfighting.

Angles,range, speed.

Do not go to war with a weapon system you haven't mastered.

"What worked and what didnt work?" Mindset...

One of my El Sal SF guys killed three armed Insurgents with a pocketknife.

Whatever weapon your most comfortable with will do fine.

OODA loop.

If downed: We are coming.

Until then, no civilian is your friend. The man who downed you was wearing civilian clothes and is looking for you. The neighborhood has been hiding his unit and the DSHK that killed your crew.

Anyone trying to touch you must be stopped.

Dont give them a chance to film you asking for help before shooting you in the mouth.

Resist.

FIGHT
FIGHT
FIGHT

OODA Loop applies. Always.

Carry the weapon you are most likely to be able to end an insurgents life with. Your Dad's 30/30 or a Bazooka. The important part will be the clock. When your would be killer spots you, be sure you have rounds enroute to his face.

You needn't be fast or accurate. You must be ready.

The "slow" part that kills you didn't happen with the mechanics of your weapon. It happened in your noodle.

If there is any Airman on this board who would like some training there are only a few places that teach FIGHTING. Everyone else teaches shooting. I KNOW YOU KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.
Trident Concepts
Paul Howe
Tactical Response
DARC
Gabe Suarez

These guys will speak a language you are familiar with. We are like musicians, playing different instruments.

Iraq is one giant Mogadishu.