• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IA Questions Answered Here

Trying2fly

BUNK 22...not much more to the story. Didn't do the help, she isn't in the military. I moved on after separating instead of waiting for the divorce to be final. UCMJ doesn't recognize separated and either did my CO. Not nearly as exciting as you hoped. I imagine that would be dangerous for most the guys who have gotten divorced.

Still looking for the IA advice.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Still looking for the IA advice.

Are you going through your wing or through NPC? Are you negotiating for orders on the backside? Just my .02, but don't "take one for the team" for a team that voted you off the island (aw crap, my metaphors are mixing).

Deserved or not, HSL has shown they aren't loyal to you, so don't take a hard-fill job for them without getting a little love on the other end.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Good advice. I know a good friend who considered going IA to boost his record and the Commodore pulled him in and told him to absolutely not volunteer. It was refreshing that a Commodore would be frank about the impact of an IA on the screen/selection board.
Lots of other good things to do, FAO, attache, something...if you're dead set on going away, go to Monterey for a DLI and be an FAO. Navy looking to triple the ranks of FAO's over coming years.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
As a side note, a buddy of mine just finished a 6 month IA in Germany. He was told his name was coming close to the top of the list and he went to see what he could sign up for in the hope of getting a 6 monther over a 12 monther, and instead learned of this other opportunity.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that beer at Oktoberfest in Germany is mo' better than sand in your undies in Asscrackistan.

Trying2fly

I've only volunteered to the Wing coordinator. They won't call up and volunteeer me from there. They just hold onto my name for the next time they get tapped to provide a body. Otherwise, they throw me out there and then still get the call for the next guy, no gain for them. As for loyalty to LAMPS...NONE. I want to do this because if I don't, somebody else will have to. It's not for the Navy or any community, just for the rest of the guys. When my CO charged me, I immediately offered to take the place of the guy he submitted for an IA a week earlier. I figured I could save that kid from having his career ruined by a poorly timed IA. CO wouldn't have it though. I'm not as noble as this is making me sound either. Just out of the competition and trying to make a contribution to the effort.
As for the FAO...putting the application together now. I loved my tour in London. I'd enjoy the job but I'll miss flying.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Trying,
JCCS was taking just about anyone. We had Helo pilots, Sub drivers, SWOs, etc. If a SWO can do it, then you could do it. JCCS-1 has taken care of it's own. There are a few other jobs out there. I knew of a few IA's at Al Faw Palace, quite a few in the green zone....Yes, they even have IA's in Tampa, Florida (Hafta throw the BS flag on that one). PERS-463 are the folks that will eventually cut your orders. The WHOLE IA process has changed to GWOT Support and they will only take folks that either volunteer or are rolling from Sea to Shore. IF you are on Shore you should now be safe.

The IA process starts out at NMPS where you are screened and issued IA uniforms.

There may be some specialized training along the way, then you should end up at Ft Jackson for three weeks of Navy IA Combat Training. Then off you your assignment.

Some folks get a longer training track. One of my buddies I met at NMPS had a 3 month training track at one of the Army Bases followed by a 6 month IA. My I was targeted for 9 months, but I got to leave a bit early....he's still there.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Just had a drastic change of career plans thanks to the ex-wife calling my CO. I'm no longer a det OIC and my flying days have ended so I have volunteered to do the IA. I would like an IA which contributes to the effort and I heard of JCCS and PRT. Are there any others you would recommend? I don't have a death wish but I don't want to spend a year in the Greeen Zone sifting through intel or other paperwork. The back-side perks don't matter either since my career is over. What do they look for in JCCS? I'm a LAMPS pilot now with a SWO background as an EWO/CICO. Also spent 3 years in London with the security forces. I'm looking for any advice you may have. Thank you.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I'd say if you're in the vul window for an IA, start picking the brain of whoever's the mover and shaker (detailer, XO, whatever) for your community. If they think you're likely to get one, pick your grenade and jump on it. I put my hand up for a six-month Jabooty tour...it's hot and boring here, but I'll take boring over the brand of "exciting" you get in Baghdad any day. And there's beer here. I know of others who have gone to Tampa-stan and Abu Dhabi.

What I'm hearing from Millington is that the new IA process (or GSA, or whatever the hell they're calling it) is still a work in progress. They're trying to transition to the new way of doing it, to roll through your IA on the way to shore duty instead of getting yanked from shore. If you're privy to the new issue of "The Hook," there's a blurb in there by CAG Guad (now admiral-select Guad) about how they're doing it. There's lots of "Phase II," "IOC" Powerpoint-worthy acronyms, but bottom line is, they still have to fill billets until the new way's fully up and running, and until then they're still doing it the old way.

My favorite amusement back in P'cola was all these bright-eyed ensigns asking if they could go IA while they're in A-Pool, "because it would help my career, sir". You could practically see all the Black Hawk Down fantasies of gunslinging around Iraq and adorning their manly chests with combat bling dancing in their little brains. Ensigns...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The IA process starts out at NMPS where you are screened and issued IA uniforms.

Did you ever get an explanation on why they issue the Army uniforms? I've never understood that. If we (the Navy) have our own BDU, why don't we wear it, wear it correctly, instead of wearing another service's uniform and then not be able to wear it according to regs (no warfare insignia, etc).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did you ever get an explanation on why they issue the Army uniforms? I've never understood that. If we (the Navy) have our own BDU, why don't we wear it, wear it correctly, instead of wearing another service's uniform and then not be able to wear it according to regs (no warfare insignia, etc).
I was told it was to avoid looking "different" and thus possibly attracting a disproportionate share of bullets/IEDs/etc. Is this the case?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was told it was to avoid looking "different" and thus possibly attracting a disproportionate share of bullets/IEDs/etc. Is this the case?

Okay. I guess the SEALs, who are out in the middle of the bullets, are out of luck. If that's true, seriously, "people" just don't get it. Are you white? ...in uniform? Good enough, you're a target.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
My favorite amusement back in P'cola was all these bright-eyed ensigns asking if they could go IA while they're in A-Pool, "because it would help my career, sir". You could practically see all the Black Hawk Down fantasies of gunslinging around Iraq and adorning their manly chests with combat bling dancing in their little brains. Ensigns...

Hmm.. that musta been awhile back.. Don't know many folks who'd be eager to go IA right now. Knew a few folks that went to Rhode Island to stand up OCS there. They came back with a NAM. No bronze stars or navy crosses for them. Then again, something tells me that they didn't see too much close combat up there. Unless it was on an X-box.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy

Those who go outside the wire usually wear the Army ACUs with Air Force/Navy insignia on them. When inside the wire, you can wear DCUs, more or less for the above reason.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are correct. We "blend in" with the Army and avoid highlight ourselves. The Army Combat Uniform (ACU) is actually very comfortable....almost as comfy as our flight suits...ALMOST! It's a very low maintenance uniform with LOTS of pockets. I doubt that the new Navy utility uniform with be as comfortable.
-ea6bflyr ;)

nittany03 said:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor