• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I want to be a Pilot...Not a SWO-N! Help!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why is it people always think NFO is a consolation prize of some sort....and I'm pretty sure we all get paid the same.

Once upon a time Naval Aviators were leaving for the airlines in droves so a bonus was put into play for them and not NFOs. Then NFOs got a bonus, but it wasn't as much....all based on Supply and Demand

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Not really trying to be a dick, but there is very little correlation between the ASTB and how well you will do in the cockpit. I know the poster personally and she won't have any problems (at least not more than the majority of us). In my opinion, I would rather have someone DOR who just can't hack it, than having them slip through the cracks of the system and end up in my backseat or on my wing later on....I know it sucks from the perspective of an applicant who is just trying to get in the door, but that is what really matters at the end of the day IMHO

True story. 63 8/8/8, and Aerospace Engineering degree in 3 years: Helos. Not to say I'm not happy (I am extremely happy), but let me expound upon my post by saying I didn't HAVE the grades to select anything except helo or maritime. If ANYONE thinks I am bragging.... you really are obtuse.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As for ASTB results correlating to success in flight school, that is the idea behind it. The AQR items and scores were selected to correlate to performance in API. The PFAR was aligned with performance in primary. There is still a wide range of variation and good scores don't guarantee success, but the correlation is there. That's why they torture us with all those test items in A-Pool. They keep track of our progress in flight training to build future versions of the ASTB.

While that may be the ideal, I can say from experience that this is not the way it works in practice. I know plenty of folks who did not rock the ASTB who went on to do awesome in the program....same thing could be said for IFS as well, but that is a whole other bag of worms

ratherbflyin

The waiver I ended up getting was a little more complicated than I originally thought, but, as of today, I am NOW officially commissioned as a pilot. I kind of regret my initial post on how much I didn't want to go SWO-Nuke and was frantically trying to be a pilot only to find out it worked out in the end. Here are the thing I've learned during this time. Number 1: Don't post things on airwarriors when you are an emotional wreck because it will follow you around when you post things years down the road. For example, a lot of people seem to know who I am now. Number 2 (and most importantly): Be optimistic! Even a few hours after my original post, I went to dinner with a few important people in the Nuke community and became very excited about the opportunity. Then, when I found out I was going to be a pilot, of course, I was thrilled. Then, when I was disqualified and most likely going SWO, I did my research and became excited about that community too! Now, I am back in my niche and overjoyed! It's funny how this all turned out and I know that people pulled some strings for me to get me here.

The bottom line for all those people who get what they don't want at first is to be optimistic. When one door closes, another one opens. And you're in the Navy! Anything you do in the Navy is going to be an amazing experience no matter what it is, that is, as long as you make it.

Now I think this thread may have been a good idea. The title is catchy so hopefully everyone will take away some of the good advice that was given to me.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why is it people always think NFO is a consolation prize of some sort.
Barring medical conditions disqualifying someone from getting pilot, someone gunning for pilot but getting NFO isn't great, but it's not bad either. After all, it's better than getting SWO, where things could be much worse.

ND12

Welp, this looks awful familiar.

Graduating this spring from Notre Dame. My choices were: 1. Pilot, 2. NFO, 3. SWO, 4. SWO(N), 5. Subs. 3.45 Political Science. 6/7/7 60-something ASTB. B-/C+ Calc and Physics combined GPA. Ranked in the top quartile of my class.

Went in the CO's office yesterday to find out service selection. He starts off by saying, "Unfortunately..." *oh shit* "You'll probably be upset..." *oh shit* "that you put SWO..." *oh fuck* "...-Nuke as your fourth choice." *wait... WHAT?!*

Yup.

ND12

Doesn't make the pill easier to swallow. Hopefully lightning will strike twice and I'll get a lucky break like ratherbflyin. Not counting on it though. Trying to get into the mindset of taking what I've been given, making the best of it, and being the best damn SWO/N that I can be (I'll need to be if I want to pass the nuke interview, much less power school).

Anyone know what the process is for people who fail the nuke interview? Not that I'm planning on intentionally bombing it by any means -- I'm actually pretty worried about all the technical info that I barely squeezed my way through in physics and calc (see major). Do they automatically send you SWO, look at your selections and see what's open/needed, or just put you where they need someone?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
SWON isn't that bad. I have a good friend that picked it up and right now he is having a pretty good time as the weapons officer on an LPD. After power school he is also eligible for both SWO and Nuke DH bonuses as well. I think you have the right mindset and you are going to be a great officer.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Also consider that you can transition later on. There is no telling where things will be be several years down the road. I know a helo pilot who was a SWO-N who was told she was too short for flight. She fought and fought and now flies helos after a JO tour aboard a carrier. It is possible, but you have to kick ass in your current community before someone is going to reach out and say that they want you to fly.