• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I want to be a Pilot...Not a SWO-N! Help!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Just a question out of curiosity, but don't you need to pass the Naval Reactors interview first in order to even service select SWO-Nuke?

ratherbflyin

If you were "born" to be above the water, why wasn't your second choice NFO?

I was told that this year's selection was different. We had to put three different communities for our top three choices so we had to put. 1) Aviation 2) Surface 3) subs....but in my case I put NFO as my third choice since I did this back in August and the news about women on subs hadn't come out yet.

phrogpilot73

After the initial shock is over, I am rather excited about the opportunity to go SWO-N.
I take back what I said...

I'm allowed to be disappointed but I won't let it get in the way of my attitude towards my job as a SWO-N or whatever else happens.
The easiest way to not let your disappointment get in the way is to be disappointed now, but be excited later. You're already starting to get excited, so nurture that.

Despite this all being said, "a woman belongs in the cockpit" so I will continue to pursue my aviation career as a private pilot. Maybe I'll get my instrument rating with my nuk bonus.
I'll let my wife know she belongs in the cockpit, not in the IW community - although I think she's getting too senior to Lat Transfer again... :D

Good use of the Nuke bonus. Hell, you could probably afford to get your instrument, commercial, CFI, and ATP and be ahead of your winged brethren.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Question is: Did you watch the morale video made by the CVN-76 SWO-N ladies?

So after watching the video, are you sure you belong in the cockpit?

PS You could always "fail" the Nuke interview....
The Skipper's office impresses me. Underway has a different meaning for that guy.

USN99

USN99
None
We are all in good hands

Most sea stories begin with, "This is no s--t." Same for my comments after reading this stream of responses. No s--t, all the responses reflected a lot of maturity and wisdom from a bunch of JOs (I assume that there were no senior officers responding). BZ. Our Navy is definitely in good hands.
No s--t! :p

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Despite this all being said, "a woman belongs in the cockpit" so I will continue to pursue my aviation career as a private pilot. Maybe I'll get my instrument rating with my nuk bonus.

Thanks Everyone!

Good call. Go take a bunch of GA lessons and you'll be able to rent an airplane whenever you get the itch to go flying.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
I thought maybe my post would fit in here instead of starting a new thread.

I'm a STA-21 guy with a guaranteed pilot option. Service selection results came out and it was no surprise that I got SNA. I had my flight physical over the summer and was NPQ'd from SNA due to exophoria, though. So now I'm just waiting for the inevitable message from BUPERS that will probably shift me over to choice #2, SNFO, since my eyes are still within standards for that option. I had EOD as one of my choices, but I'm well aware that it needs to be the number one choice in order to be selected. I didn't bother with that since I already had a page 13 saying I was going pilot. Anyway, has anybody ever heard of anyone being able to pursue an EOD selection after being NPQ'd this late in the game? Would they take into consideration that the reason I didn't have an EOD package was because of my guaranteed pilot spot? I would gladly be an NFO if it came down to it, but I've already played the "sit in the back of the plane and shut up" role. I was very much looking forward to taking my career in a different direction in addition to being a commissioned officer, and if I can't be a pilot, I think EOD would be an exciting opportunity. Thanks in advance.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
...Anyway, has anybody ever heard of anyone being able to pursue an EOD selection after being NPQ'd this late in the game?

I'm sure it's been done. Go for it...talk to your Senior Navy Officer at the unit and get some contacts.

Would they take into consideration that the reason I didn't have an EOD package was because of my guaranteed pilot spot?

Possibly, see above answer.

I would gladly be an NFO if it came down to it, but I've already played the "sit in the back of the plane and shut up" role.

I'm sorry you had this experience...as I would have never EVER told my crew to shut up...in fact, I've told them the opposite..."Hey guys, talk to me..." I wish that there weren't flights that I trusted my crew more then the guy next to me, but unfortunally that's been true. I've never worked with FOs IN my aircraft, but I know that if you think that's what a FO should do, then you've got the wrong idea.

I was very much looking forward to taking my career in a different direction in addition to being a commissioned officer, and if I can't be a pilot, I think EOD would be an exciting opportunity. Thanks in advance.

Go for it, but don't think of NFO as any less exciting or important than a pilot...unfortunally u probably won't enjoy VERTREP, but that's on another post... :D

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely bring that up to my advisor and further up if necessary. I feel that I am in good standing at my NROTC unit, and they would most likely be willing to help me out. As far as the "pilot to aircrew" communication, it was more of a bad attempt at humor. For the most part, I've had great relationships with those in the flight station, and sometimes found myself getting along better with them than my TACCO or Nav. I actually sat up there a lot of the time if I wasn't busy with something else.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely bring that up to my advisor and further up if necessary. I feel that I am in good standing at my NROTC unit, and they would most likely be willing to help me out. As far as the "pilot to aircrew" communication, it was more of a bad attempt at humor. For the most part, I've had great relationships with those in the flight station, and sometimes found myself getting along better with them than my TACCO or Nav. I actually sat up there a lot of the time if I wasn't busy with something else.

If you think the VP style NFOs are the extent of what it means to be an NFO, then you're missing out on a whole other side of NFO aviation. If you're interested in aviation or piloting, don't limit your chocies based on a very limited view of the NFO world. I've been a P-3 Aircrewman and am now a jet NFO - the difference is significant.

Brett

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
I agree, there's a whole other side of aviation that I have not been exposed to. But if somebody could guarantee me that I will be a jet NFO, I think I would jump on it in a heartbeat. Don't get me wrong, I love the P-3 community and I'd be going back to working with some great folks, but some things about that plane and the mission I really don't miss too much. :sleep_125 Who knows though, maybe I would find more fulfillment in the fact that I would play a more active role in the mission.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ratherbflyin, any recent changes/updates? I hear there might be something on the news-front...please share, otherwise, I will... :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

yakboyslim

None
Just a question out of curiosity, but don't you need to pass the Naval Reactors interview first in order to even service select SWO-Nuke?

Waiting for the news here... but in the mean time, can anyone answer that question, just out of curiosity.

I'm pretty sure every Nuke has to interview with the Admiral, I did and was not selected, that's why I ended up NFO, kinda the opposite of your situation. (Except I am more excited about NFO, a blessing in disguise I guess)