• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I want to be a Pilot...Not a SWO-N! Help!

ratherbflyin

Airwarriors,

I am in need of advice.

I have been wanting to be a pilot for my entire life. Just yesterday, I found out I was service selected for my second choice SWO-N. Apparently, my ASTB scores disqualified me from becoming a pilot (all 5's). I don't understand that because I know a few who received lower scores than I did, and were selected their second choice,NFO or Pilot.

I wouldn't have put down any other choices if we didn't have to because pilot is what I want and what I was about 99% confident I was going to get. I am more than qualified with good grades, medically, and I have my private pilots license. The problem with this year's package is that there is no longer an area to state your additional information so the selection board doesn't know I have my Pilot's license.

If they know I have my pilot's license would that change anything? Can my FAA examiner (who passed me with flying colors) write the selection board to dispute it)? My instructor was a veteran P-3 crewman and is almost as devastated as I. Can he do anything?

Please help. I won't be as happy doing anything other than flying! I was born to be above the water, not on it!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
You put SWO-N on your selection sheet. Reaping the consequences of your decisions is a hard lesson learned in the Navy...

You can still turn down a commission, right?

Unless the ATB Mins changed, 5's are legal (I had a 5/5/5 58)

navy09

None
Few thoughts...

-Yes, selections have been changed in the past. Your unit CO needs to be involved, hopefully you're a good guy and he's willing to fight for you.

-To go with that, if they can't swing a pilot slot make it clear to them that you'd take an NFO slot too. It's much much easier to go NFO to pilot than to switch from SWO-N.

-SWO-N is a great deal.

-PPL will have no effect on the situation.

Few questions...

-Why didn't you put NFO as your second choice?

-What's your major and GPA?

-How'd you do in calc/physics?

phrogpilot73

I was born to be above the water, not on it!
Then why did you say this:

Just yesterday, I found out I was service selected for my second choice SWO-N.
If you were "born" to be above the water, why wasn't your second choice NFO?

Do you even want to serve in the Navy? Your FAA Examiner's opinion doesn't mean shit, and your questions here speak to your character.

Turn down the commission and apply for a regional, or go SWO Nuke. There's more to being a Naval Officer than flying, and until you realize that - you don't need to be in the Navy.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
-SWO-N is a great deal.

...as far as SWO stuff goes.

OPTIONS

1. Get your CO to lobby on your behalf to change it.

2. Decline the commission (and pay back your scholarship)

3. Suck it up and get your SWO on.

FWIW, from CNATRAs mouth this very morning..."we overproduced last year (FY09)"

Also, your PPL doesn't mean shit. Consider it no more than a glimpse into your possible future. IMO, it was a waste of money and would have been better spent on beer and skirt.

Harsh...yes
Tough to swallow...yes

A challenge/obstacle has been presented....your move.

navy09

None
...as far as SWO stuff goes.

Absolutely, as was said above- officer and leader first, everything else second.

There's a great guy on this forum who wanted pilot and got SWO; he had a great attitude and has been very successful on his boat. On the other hand, every boat probably has at least one wannabe pilot- they're generally not happy. It's all about attitude, you're still in the position where you can turn down your commission if you don't think you'd be happy as a SWO.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Wow- Everybody has so far provided great advise. Don't be afaid of SWO is serving is your #1 priority.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Wow- Everybody has so far provided great advise. Don't be afaid of SWO is serving is your #1 priority.

You sound surprised. I like that.

Concur with the SWO - Serve proudly no matter what happens. Otherwise, you probably didn't have the character to be a Naval Aviator/Flight Officer to start with. Good luck and I hope it pans out.

~d

ratherbflyin

Airwarriors,

Thank you for all of your helpful advise.

After the initial shock is over, I am rather excited about the opportunity to go SWO-N. I do put being an officer and the Navy before my wants but I think I deserved my chance to fight for my dream which is why I requested everyone's advice. My CO has done everything he can and it simply comes down to that I am not qualified for pilot with my ASTB scores and I am qualified for SWO-N. After all, I did put SWO-N as my second choice for a reason.

I'm allowed to be disappointed but I won't let it get in the way of my attitude towards my job as a SWO-N or whatever else happens. I'd rather be flying but I'll do my best at whatever is thrown my way. When one door closes, another one opens.

Despite this all being said, "a woman belongs in the cockpit" so I will continue to pursue my aviation career as a private pilot. Maybe I'll get my instrument rating with my nuk bonus.

Thanks Everyone!

jtmedli

pilot
Airwarriors,

After the initial shock is over, I am rather excited about the opportunity to go SWO-N. I do put being an officer and the Navy before my wants but I think I deserved my chance to fight for my dream which is why I requested everyone's advice. My CO has done everything he can and it simply comes down to that I am not qualified for pilot with my ASTB scores and I am qualified for SWO-N. After all, I did put SWO-N as my second choice for a reason.

I'm allowed to be disappointed but I won't let it get in the way of my attitude towards my job as a SWO-N or whatever else happens. I'd rather be flying but I'll do my best at whatever is thrown my way. When one door closes, another one opens.

Despite this all being said, "a woman belongs in the cockpit" so I will continue to pursue my aviation career as a private pilot. Maybe I'll get my instrument rating with my nuk bonus.

Thanks Everyone!

Just know that you can always turn down the commission, retake the ASTB (kill it this time), and reapply with SNA/NFO as your choices.

EDIT: With that said, I doubt there's going to be anyone knocking your choice of career whether it be SNA or SWO-N. Still beats the hell out of a desk job!!!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
What is a SWO-N? A friend of mine from NROTC didn't get pilot or NFO about NROTC. He went on to become an AMO but reapplied a few years later. He's been a Prowler pilot for many years now. I assume you could request a designator transfer at some point if you still wish to do so down the road.

navy09

None
Airwarriors,

Thanks Everyone!

Right on man, PM me if you've got any questions about SWO.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Airwarriors,

After the initial shock is over, I am rather excited about the opportunity to go SWO-N.

Question is: Did you watch the morale video made by the CVN-76 SWO-N ladies?

Despite this all being said, "a woman belongs in the cockpit" so I will continue to pursue my aviation career as a private pilot. Maybe I'll get my instrument rating with my nuk[e] bonus.

Thanks Everyone!

So after watching the video, are you sure you belong in the cockpit?

PS You could always "fail" the Nuke interview....