• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I want to be a Pilot...Not a SWO-N! Help!

dsimonds

For what its worth.... I am a STA-21 guy from 2004, I am commissioned and in the HSL RAG. I selected core for STA-21, then ultimately selected SNA. I went to school at University of South Florida. I went to Branch Medical NAS JAX for my initial flight physical. Everything seemed tio go fine until two months later I got a letter from nomi/nami stating that I was NPQ for SNA. I ended up going to a different clinic to have them redo that part of the eye exam. I passed and here I am now. It ended up being some sort of misinterpretation of the results . I'm not saying that it will work for you, but it could.

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
For what its worth.... I am a STA-21 guy from 2004, I am commissioned and in the HSL RAG. I selected core for STA-21, then ultimately selected SNA. I went to school at University of South Florida. I went to Branch Medical NAS JAX for my initial flight physical. Everything seemed tio go fine until two months later I got a letter from nomi/nami stating that I was NPQ for SNA. I ended up going to a different clinic to have them redo that part of the eye exam. I passed and here I am now. It ended up being some sort of misinterpretation of the results . I'm not saying that it will work for you, but it could.

I'll second that. I had one doc put +15 diopters for exo. It may have been a typo, but when the flight sergeon saw "15" he said I was NPQ so I had another exam done and was at 5. PerDiem, if you haven't done another exam yet, I would highly encourage getting a second opinion.

ratherbflyin

It's True! It was such an interesting ride. Once I became excited about being a SWO-Nuke and studied about 16 hours a day for my interview, an F I received in a class 3 years ago disqualified me from the Nuke program. At this point, I was in the middle of ship selecting. Without a Nuke choice, my selections came down to 1) Pilot and 4) SWO. I ship selected a Frigate in Everett and then found out the Next day I was picked up for pilot! It's not over yet though! I'm waiting to hear back about a waiver but I'll keep everyone posted!

CominOnWayHI!

I'm happy things worked out for you and you were selected for the SNA spot, but I know a female who was in your same situation a year ago. She selected SWO-N after wanting to be a pilot and after a lot of hard work by my former CO, her selection was changed to SNA. However, once she got down here to Pensacola, she DORed during the IFS portion of our training and is now waiting to be re-designated. Lucky for you, you don't have to do IFS, but at least have the respect for your CO and the Navy by not DORing after they did you such a big favor by letting you into the community. You say you have your PPL, yet you only got 5s on your ASTB? The road ahead may be very challenging for you. Study Up!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'm happy things worked out for you and you were selected for the SNA spot, but I know a female who was in your same situation a year ago. She selected SWO-N after wanting to be a pilot and after a lot of hard work by my former CO, her selection was changed to SNA. However, once she got down here to Pensacola, she DORed during the IFS portion of our training and is now waiting to be re-designated. Lucky for you, you don't have to do IFS, but at least have the respect for your CO and the Navy by not DORing after they did you such a big favor by letting you into the community. You say you have your PPL, yet you only got 5s on your ASTB? The road ahead may be very challenging for you. Study Up!

Not really trying to be a dick, but there is very little correlation between the ASTB and how well you will do in the cockpit. I know the poster personally and she won't have any problems (at least not more than the majority of us). In my opinion, I would rather have someone DOR who just can't hack it, than having them slip through the cracks of the system and end up in my backseat or on my wing later on....I know it sucks from the perspective of an applicant who is just trying to get in the door, but that is what really matters at the end of the day IMHO

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Yeah, you would have to show me some statistics that a higher ASTB score equals doing well in flight school.

SubtoSky

Officer NOooo...
None
Why is it people always think NFO is a consolation prize of some sort. All the JO's basically have the same day job, just when it comes to the jet some of hang a right at the MEH and others hang a left. All of us have been through 2+ years of training, we all lead the same people, and I'm pretty sure we all get paid the same.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Why is it people always think NFO is a consolation prize of some sort. All the JO's basically have the same day job, just when it comes to the jet some of hang a right at the MEH and others hang a left. All of us have been through 2+ years of training, we all lead the same people, and I'm pretty sure we all get paid the same.

I wouldn't disagree, but I guess maybe it is just a mindset that is perpetuated throughout flight school and one's early career (from an SNA/pilot perspective)

SubtoSky

Officer NOooo...
None
Being a nuke is another thing entirely. Power School is enough to make any sane person want to hurt themselves. That being said, even a guy like me can pass with a little devotion. Rest assured whatever job you wind up with it will be freakin awesome.

Crazy8

Was that female Captain in the video the CAG?

As for ASTB results correlating to success in flight school, that is the idea behind it. The AQR items and scores were selected to correlate to performance in API. The PFAR was aligned with performance in primary. There is still a wide range of variation and good scores don't guarantee success, but the correlation is there. That's why they torture us with all those test items in A-Pool. They keep track of our progress in flight training to build future versions of the ASTB.