• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I pledge . . . .

johnboyA6E

None
I came in right in the wake of all that and heard plenty about it from more senior JO's and DH's at the time, both my squadrons had quite a few A-6 refugees (5 of 6 O-4's and the XO in my VAQ squadron were A-6 types at one point) along with plenty of others in my VQ squadron. The Navy had a much more 'diverse' aviation community back then and it was interesting to see the old rivalries and attitudes, good and bad, first hand. I've also seen much of the change in the Navy and Naval Aviation since then along with hearing about a lot of it right before my time, both good and bad again, and while I miss a few things I believe most of it has been for the better. I am an optimist by nature though.

I can't say for sure, you would have to ask the airline guys, but most guys leaving at that time (mid-to-late 90's) didn't seem have too much trouble getting a decent airline gig if they tried unless they had issues. Like the one guy from my first squadron who could only find a job flying Electras out of Scotland, for good reason. Right before 9/11 is when things seemed to really pick up quite a bit, almost every pilot getting out of VT-86 at the time seemed to have 3 or 4 solid offers before their terminal leave late '00 and early '01. And yes, discussions about airline jobs were all the rage in the wardroom back then too.

i was one of the A-6 guys that got out at that time, '94. most of my buddies either got out, or got good deal orders then got out. the pilots went VT then airlines, and the NFOs went to something like NROTC, got a free masters, then got out.

right after Desert Storm was kind of a high point in Naval Aviation, then the world turned for us A-6 guys. i decomm'd two squadrons in two years. Prowlers and Tomcats were the preferred places to go, but not enough spots to go around. USNR guys who didn't get selected to augment were the first to go.

fun fact: the beginning of the end of "dont' ask, don't tell" was when a nugget A-6 B/N went on Nightline to 'come out' and tell the world that the Navy's policy was wrong. that guy was just out of the rag, and ended up in a sister squadron. a buddy of mine was SDO in that squadron the day after the Nightline thing aired. the prank calls he had to answer all day were legendary!

a few months later on cruise, we had even had a pretty good Foc'sle Follies song all about it. could never do that now

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
fun fact: the beginning of the end of "dont' ask, don't tell" was when a nugget A-6 B/N went on Nightline to 'come out' and tell the world that the Navy's policy was wrong. that guy was just out of the rag, and ended up in a sister squadron. a buddy of mine was SDO in that squadron the day after the Nightline thing aired. the prank calls he had to answer all day were legendary!

Were you in VA-36 on Theodore Roosevelt for Desert Storm?

VA-65 Tigers in CVW-8 on TR had a B/N come out right before Desert Storm. VA-65 quickly became known as the Kittens on the ship. Much in the spot light during Foc'sle Follies.

Definitely different times.

johnboyA6E

None
yep, that was the guy, but it was after desert storm.
i was in VA-176 during Desert Storm, on Forrestal (we didn't deploy until springtime after DS was over), and then we decomm'd after cruise. i joined VA-36 in early '92. that's when Tracy Thorne became a celebrity. it was during workups on TR that year that the foc'sle follies thing happened. back then, there was no tivo, no youtube, so almost nobody actually saw the Nightline thing, but everyone heard about it first thing the next morning.

Right around that time, VA-65 got removed from CVW-8 along with VF-41 to make room for the Marines (VMFA-312, the one from the Great Santini, along with 53's and Hueys)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Were you in VA-36 on Theodore Roosevelt for Desert Storm?

VA-65 Tigers in CVW-8 on TR had a B/N come out right before Desert Storm. VA-65 quickly became known as the Kittens on the ship. Much in the spot light during Foc'sle Follies.

Definitely different times.
Pretty sure one my NROTC COs was one of the last COsof VA-65. He was a BN by the name of Koon (maybe Koons?)

Mos

None
I already made the only pledge I’ll be reciting in the Navy, same one I’ll repeat if I am lucky enough to make the next rank.
I figured the words of the Sailor’s Creed are sufficient for any other catch-all...
“I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all.”
Yup, that’s good enough for me.
Speaking of the oath, looks like we all get to say it again, since we apparently didn't mean it the last time(s) we were administered the oath in accordance with actual law. What a great way to ensure this oath remains meaningful.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
yep, that was the guy, but it was after desert storm.
i was in VA-176 during Desert Storm, on Forrestal (we didn't deploy until springtime after DS was over), and then we decomm'd after cruise. i joined VA-36 in early '92. that's when Tracy Thorne became a celebrity. it was during workups on TR that year that the foc'sle follies thing happened. back then, there was no tivo, no youtube, so almost nobody actually saw the Nightline thing, but everyone heard about it first thing the next morning.

Right around that time, VA-65 got removed from CVW-8 along with VF-41 to make room for the Marines (VMFA-312, the one from the Great Santini, along with 53's and Hueys)
Hopefully you reminded them that the real Great Santini was an attack pilot at Beaufort

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Speaking of the oath, looks like we all get to say it again, since we apparently didn't mean it the last time(s) we were administered the oath in accordance with actual law. What a great way to ensure this oath remains meaningful.
Go on...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So, if minorities are disproportionately represented in prisons, crimes, and arrests, it is a problem with the institution, not the minority; yet if the military is disproportionately represented amongst people arrested at a protest, it is a problem with the military, not the institution...

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So, if minorities are disproportionately represented in prisons, crimes, and arrests, it is a problem with the institution, not the minority; yet if the military is disproportionately represented amongst people arrested at a protest, it is a problem with the military, not the institution...
Obviously it depends on context and motives. And by that I mean it depends on who is being discriminated against according to our future AG.

Statistics implying Asians being discriminated against: not conclusive evidence.

Statistics implying blacks being discriminated against: no doubt it’s systemic racism

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interestingly, this NAVADMIN came out after many commands had already done their training. We did ours last week, and while the sessions I led discussed the oath, there was no reaffirmation of it. Pretty sure we met the CNO's intent. Mission complete. That'll happen when CNO puts out additional guidance one week after CNAF directs the stand down to happen ASAP.

Hair Warrior

Contributor

^ Almost all of these I have never heard of, and don’t even know what they look like. Especially some of the random Nordic runes - never heard of them and have no idea how they translate into extremist activity, by default.

I wonder how long before someone of a Norse religion will sue in federal court, saying that this harms their religious freedoms. (Remember this thread?)

And that might have some legal standing. As far as I can tell, Neo-Nazis don’t have a monopoly on Nordic symbols just like ISIS doesn’t have a monopoly on Islamic symbols. Obviously, Nordic symbols, Christian symbols, Jewish symbols, Hindu symbols, Buddhist symbols, and Islamic symbols all predate the concept of modern nation states, and if they’ve been misappropriated in the past or recently, then that’s pretty hard to pin onto the creators/ prophets/ saints of a religion.

Last edited: