• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I pledge . . . .

robav8r

None
Contributor
Just saw this on the news. My first thought was YHGTBFSM . . . . but then I thought maybe I'll get some input from those still in uniform. Thoughts ???

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as I know, intersectionality is just a really geeky awkward academic way of saying I'm me based on what's happened to me in total, as opposed to just being "a straight guy," or "a white guy," or "a male person," or "a guy from suburbia in the Midwest." Which you'd think would just be common sense that didn't need a buzzword, but whatever. Yes, the perpetually aggrieved use it to make Excel spreadsheets on Tumblr to argue about who they think ultimately wins the oppression Olympics. But AFAIK that's the point it's ultimately used for.

So we add it to our Buzzword Bingo cards, continue trying to treat all our people fairly, and move on . . . yawn.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
This “Task Force” came to our squadron and refused to speak to anyone that was not a minority.

I volunteered, was on the list/sked, then CMC had to come find me and say I wasn’t welcome to share my experience/opinions (raised as a minority, in one of the poorest towns with the least opportunity in America, having led V-2 and been the MO, had unique insight on leading those from underserved backgrounds)

They can get fucked.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
The sailor’s creed already says “I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all.” COs can just reinforce what that truly means, from time to time.

Agree. This proposal feels like a disingenuous way to approach a real issue (namely, Sailors discriminating against other Sailors). A half-vigilant command should be able to identify and shame-crush that behavior in a way that makes the Navy's standing order for this stuff pretty clear and continues moving the ball forward.

This pledge just cheapens the topic.

also admittedly I haven't actually looked for any other sources on this besides the Washington Examiner link above, but whatever

exNavyOffRec

This “Task Force” came to our squadron and refused to speak to anyone that was not a minority.

I volunteered, was on the list/sked, then CMC had to come find me and say I wasn’t welcome to share my experience/opinions (raised as a minority, in one of the poorest towns with the least opportunity in America, having led V-2 and been the MO, had unique insight on leading those from underserved backgrounds)

They can get fucked.

The same shit happens in corporate america.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The statement...acknowledge all lived experiences and intersectional identities...is simply nonsense. A “lived experience” is anything at all. So, let’s say a sailors “lived experience” is that deployment sucked so now I’m going UA...how does one “acknowledge” that? With a court martial? The same can be said for the very idea of an “intersectional identity.” I was a Marine who became a naval officer and ended up retiring out of the Army National Guard...does that qualify? Is French-Irish an intersectional identity or does intersectionality only cover skin tone and sexual proclivities?

I am more than willing to state to the entire world that I respect every living person. Sometimes they let me down, sometimes I let them down, and we either decide to forgive and keep going or head opposite directions. I respect any person that has the drive to join the armed forces...isn’t that enough?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Holy buzzwords, Batman...

That pledge is so full of politically-correct-isms that it loses all meaning and memorability. Smacks of someone's "feel good" political measure, e.g. "hey look! We did something!"

I'm reminded by a political effort to reduce certain types of discrimination a couple of administrations ago. My CO at the time boiled the required 90 minutes of training down to "Treat everyone with dignity and respect. Questions?" The sailors' general attitude was "We don't judge people's background, we just want people to pull their weight in the shop. Can we go back to work now?"

That sounds pretty awful. I would have had some choice words for whoever was running that task force... "with all due respect..."

Out of curiosity, were they military or civilian?

Last edited:

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Holy buzzwords, Batman...

That pledge is so full of politically-correct-isms that it loses all meaning and memorability. Smacks of someone's "feel good" political measure, e.g. "hey look! We did something!"

I'm reminded by a political effort to reduce certain types of discrimination a couple of administrations ago. My CO at the time boiled the required 90 minutes of training down to "Treat everyone with dignity and respect. Questions?" The sailors' general attitude was "We don't judge people's background, we just want people to pull their weight in the shop. Can we go back to work now?"

That sounds pretty awful. I would have had some choice words for whoever was running that task force... "with all due respect..."

Out of curiosity, were they military or civilian?
No clue, never met them...I flew instead.

taxi1

pilot
"Intersectional identity"

200.gif

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
The task force also tackled issues relating to the treatment of gender minorities, updating ship and street names on installations, and countering hate speech.

Seriously?