• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I flew my first Solo today!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Well checkride went great this morning, sat around for a few hours, mounted up and headed off for the big 4401. Unfortunately after bounce #2 at NGP, became recieve/no transmit on the UHF after being extended upwind. Tried to troubleshoot the UHF on the downwind with no joy, just about as I was cleared full stop. So my 1st T-34C solo was an entire 0.2 :)

Ironically, my first civilian cross country solo also culminated in a NORDO recovery after a complete electrical failure....coincidence? perhaps....

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
So did they realize you were no transmit and so they just told you to full stop? Did you try the victor?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So did they realize you were no transmit and so they just told you to full stop? Did you try the victor?

Yeah, they knew (I could tell since they started talking to the RDO cart when I was nearing the 180). I was literally reaching over to switch the VHF transmit switch over to active after giving up on the UHF when tower cleared me to land. At that point, I just continued since I was cleared and concentrated on landing (making sure I hadn't forgotten anything important while I was troubleshooting previously). I tried RDO and ground buttons once I was on deck with no joy, though I really wasn't convinced up until then that the UHF had really broken. In hindsight I probably could have just swapped up to victor on short final and given them a heads-up that I knew what was going on, but I think it was pretty clear by then anyways. Had no trouble raising base once I had taxied into the chocks. Oh well......another 12 minutes for the fiscal year :)

RyanF

unimportant
Finally soloed today albeit not in a 152, but an ASK-21 glider. Here are some pics (yes I already know I'm vain)....

Posing before takeoff
CIMG4882.jpg

Thumbs up to wing runner
CIMG4884.jpg

Off and away
CIMG4886.jpg

Unfortunately my camera's memory card crapped out before the ceremonial shirt cutting and water bucket dousing.

FastMover

NFO
None
I flew my first solo last week in Cessna 172 N5150D over in Destin. While I was on the downwind on my second lap I saw an F-15 across the bay at Eglin take off and go straight up into the vertical. I'll never forget it!

Here I am just after I landed.

solopic.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Finally soloed today albeit not in a 152, but an ASK-21 glider. Here are some pics (yes I already know I'm vain)....

Posing before takeoff
CIMG4882.jpg

Unfortunately my camera's memory card crapped out before the ceremonial shirt cutting and water bucket dousing.

Is that Chino? What school do you attend? Congrats on the whole solo, glider thing. That looks like fun.

Clux4

Banned
I remember my first flight into Chino. The sun was in my face and I was having fun at about FL60 and the controller had to ask me where I was going. All good times in a C-152 !!

RyanF

unimportant
Is that Chino? What school do you attend? Congrats on the whole solo, glider thing. That looks like fun.

Nope, it's Williams up in Northern California. I attend UC Davis which is roughly 40-50 minutes south down 5. Thanks for the congrats and yes it is lots of fun!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I flew my first solo last week in Cessna 172 N5150D over in Destin. While I was on the downwind on my second lap I saw an F-15 across the bay at Eglin take off and go straight up into the vertical. I'll never forget it!

Here I am just after I landed.

solopic.jpg

5150D was my solo bird, too.

in other news, I solo'd the C-12 yesterday. Pretty anti climactic, actually, and not so much a solo as two studs trying not to kill themselves.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Solo'd N78650 up at Skywarrior today. Did it over at Atmore since there were so many people in the pattern. It was pretty uneventful except for my 2nd landing which I came in super high so I didn't have enough room to take off again, so I had to back taxi the entire runway. I still wanted to piss myself the entire time without the instructor safety net.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
How is Bay Minette doing these days? Does Mr. C still make wayyyy to many jokes about his mother in-law and is No-Fear still doing short field takeoffs from the LT Bars?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, still many mother-in-law jokes going around, but I don't know who you're referring to as "No-Fear" off the top of my head.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
I'll give you a clue. His first name rhymes with No-Fear and his last name is a very well known person...