• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I flew my first Solo today!

Zbone8762

congrats on the solo - my solo was an eventful experience. I hate to say it but I forgot to lock the passenger door (I'm used to the instructor locking it) - *lesson learned* follow your checklists. I landed at Evergreen (luckily there was no traffic in the pattern) and when I landed the door came flying open and my sectional/drink/ random papers go flying out the door. Haha. I had to park the plane, pick up all my trash, and take back off for Monroe. Needless to say - it was my first learning experience - I've had many more since then...

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Thought I would revive this thread since I soloed the 34 yesterday.

Nothing too crazy until I was up in the high working area and ATC asked me what my altitude was. I told them 9,000 and they told me they were seeing 4,700. He had me reset the transponder to no avail. Then the controller asked me to switch to my backup transponder. That got me a bit puzzled so I asked him to say again. And again he told me to switch to my backup. As you all know in the 34 the other transponder is in the rear cockpit, which would be kinda hard to get to when solo. So as I was trying to figure out what to tell this guy another instructor on the same channel told the controller that I couldn't reach it. So the controler just told me to turn off the Mode C and stay in my area. No big whoop. All in all a good time, kinda boring actually, but I enjoyed it.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
haha, thats awesome, i remeber hearing about my buddies first t-34 solo(he's flying the bird with a tail hook now) but there was storms all around the horizon and his instructor just said yeah stay away from that stuff, good thing he was a multi commercial already.

I look forward to the navy side, but my solo was 12-2-06 N68810 C152 running on about two hours sleep, 8a.m. crystal december morning. did a loop, instructor hopped out and then three more taxi back. Now instrument pilot with about 180 hours it keeps getting better, and the airport I work at all the planes must have a mode c curse, because they are all intermittent. when you do all the checks everything is good and then into a xc you'll hear memphis center say 1TG whats your altitude, your mode c is not reporting. pretty solid feeling in IMC. we got it all fixed now, but it was definitely an annoying part of my training.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...but there was storms all around the horizon and his instructor just said yeah stay away from that stuff, good thing he was a multi commercial already.

It's not really that big a deal, you just...stay away from the stuff.

...xc you'll hear memphis center say 1TG whats your altitude, your mode c is not reporting. pretty solid feeling in IMC.

Well, as long as you're at your altitude, what's the problem?

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Oh, I know. I was posting in reference to the amusement of the situation in his solo for the thread. I flew plenty of hours this summer dodging thunderstorms in the southeast and I know the IFR min obstruction clearances that are guaranteed. Simply just relating the mode c problems for amusement to get me through these drawn out college classes.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Oh, I know. I was posting in reference to the amusement of the situation in his solo for the thread. I flew plenty of hours this summer dodging thunderstorms in the southeast and I know the IFR min obstruction clearances that are guaranteed. Simply just relating the mode c problems for amusement to get me through these drawn out college classes.

Or you can just fly assigned ATC alt and/or as filed

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
kinda boring actually, but I enjoyed it.

I've heard that same sentiment from so many people about the 34 solo. I loved mine.

Now, my 44 pattern "solo"?? Yeah, I'll agree with you there. Anticlimactic.

MasterBates

My T-44 Solo was on my checkride. "Hey those 4 passes where I did not fvck with you? That was your solo"..

T-45 was nice, first time I had flown by myself in over 6 years. I thoroughly worked the T-45 hard, and had a blast. Even as a winged aviator, just having uncle turn me loose in something that can go STUPID fast was blast. I was specifically told "DO NOT DO A MACH RUN!!! We KNOW your type" by the WDO (who had flown my check) when I walked.

Bummer. :(

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My T-44 Solo was on my checkride. "Hey those 4 passes where I did not fvck with you? That was your solo"..

T-45 was nice, first time I had flown by myself in over 6 years. I thoroughly worked the T-45 hard, and had a blast. Even as a winged aviator, just having uncle turn me loose in something that can go STUPID fast was blast. I was specifically told "DO NOT DO A MACH RUN!!! We KNOW your type" by the WDO (who had flown my check) when I walked.

Bummer. :(

So that is possible in a T-45?

MasterBates

NATOPS Vne is M1.04. People who try to do it usually get some sorta colorful call sign if the sim guys are to be believed. I've had it up there when asked for "max forward speed/max rate of descent" by ATC, but not close enough to get mach tuck or anything like that.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Well presuming all goes well w/ my 4390 tomorrow, I will solo the Weiner dog tomorrow afternoon.....more to follow :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
haha, thats awesome, i remeber hearing about my buddies first t-34 solo(he's flying the bird with a tail hook now) but there was storms all around the horizon and his instructor just said yeah stay away from that stuff, good thing he was a multi commercial already.

Interesting in that solo's probably would not be launched with storms all around the horizon. A mulit-commercial would have done what for him with storms all around the horizon?