• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I flew my first Solo today!

badger16

None
It may have only been a -172 but it was so AMAZING! Just a simple 3 T/O and landings. It got me wondering what everyone's first Solo was like? Stories are welcome

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
I almost stalled out the airplane on final. I about pissed myself. But looking back on it, it was probably one of the best times of my life. Enjoy and don't forget to write/save your shirt tail!

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
October 12, 2004, Piper Archer N960WC, Toelle, Utah...pretty routine. Just 3 typical student pilot (read: not so good) t&o's. Awesome experience. Congratulations, man.

Bolter

pilot
solo timeline

my first solo in a civil aircraft was fun... my first solo in the mighty T-34C was cool...my first solo in the T-45C was awesome...my first solo in the Harrier was absolutely f&^king insane... the moral of the story---GO SINGLE SEATERS!!!

WIDGET

hey congrats! where'd you do it? are you in IFS?

my instructor lied to me the day of my solo. told me i wasn't going to do it 'til the next day. then after the check ride, he hopped out of the plane and said, "you got your ID with you?"
after my first landing, he was on the radio and the conversation went something like:
instructor: alright. you have two more landings. taxi back.
me: roger that. on my way. (turning the airplane around)
instructor: hey. where are you? taxi back.
me: on my way.
instructor: can you hear me? hey. are you there?
me: yeah. i'm here! can you hear me??

it was about then that i realized i was just talking through my headphones and not pressing down the comms button. whoops. i admitted it to him 3 months after completing IFS.

badger16

None
I am at Skywarrior. They didn't cut my shirt. They let you either bring in a shirt or they give you a tail to use because of the dress code and not wanting to ruin a nice polo. I wouldn't have minded if they cut my shirt.

GroundPounder

The thing that sticks out about my first solo was how " powerful " the 150 seemed with only one person in it. The rate of climb seemed about doubled. A good memory.

My first solo long XC sticks out due to the fact that I was flying directly into a head wind along I-70 and watching the cars travelling much faster than I was.

Congratulations.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
I had Aaron for my first solo at sky warrior. It was funny cause neither of us had a pen on us so he had to run in to grab a pen to put the endorsement on my license.

A better story is on my solo cross country I did a touch and go (officially a stop and go) at evergreen with a couple t-34s in the pattern (I loved that they had to wait for me to land and get out of there). As I was on climb out I started to smell smoke and got terrified that I had an engine fire. I was just about to turn off the engine and turn back to the rwy until I realize they were freaking burning brush right below me. Damn rednecks. That raised my heart rate just a little.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Hah....I guess I'm not the only one who had an eventful 1st solo x-country. Flew a round robin flight around homefield, went directly through a snow shower outbound, and on my 3rd leg inbound lost the alternator, and eventually lost battery power. Took the light signals into a landing at my class D airport (Eugene, OR). This was like Oct/Nov of 2001 if I remember right....

WIDGET

holy crap. did you remember the light signals?? or did you have them written down? i just took the FR&R test and thought, thank god nothing happened to my 152 in IFS!

Bolter

pilot
there is a guy on airwarriors that goes by the name of skotc. someone should ask him about the time he blew his tires on his first solo in a T-6, ran off the runway, and then got surrounded by the entire crash crew. and now he is a fellow single seater (f-18 type)!

phrogpilot73

My first solo was in the T-34C, I had no prior flight time and this was before the days of IFS. I really didn't realize I was soloing until I started my clearing turns after take off and glanced the empty cockpit behind me in the rear view mirror. "Holy Crap, I'm SOLOING!"