• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ht-28???

Pags

N/A
pilot
By joint do you mean Air Force? If so then no. I will be going into 28 and have been to most of the stand-up meetings. There has been no talk of this at all.

Smoke

Yeah, sorry for the confusion...by joint I meant Air Force. I had heard rumors of the AF sending their helo drivers to Whiting, but guess that was bad gouge.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Here is the patch. The one on the right is still subject to change.

Attachments

• HT-28_Squadron_Shlder_Ptch.jpg
    HT-28_Squadron_Shlder_Ptch.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 327

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
OK so this is not an April fool's spoof? Is this no sh!t for real?

What building would they be based from?

How can TW-5 accommodate another HT with no additional TH-57's? How does THAT work?

re: Air Force - once in a while the AF does send us a stud. I onwinged the first AF stud in '1994. But there is little reason. The AF is getting a new fleet of refurbed TH-1H's with EFIS cockpits and the works, overhauled to the Huey II standard (N tail, M/R, nose). These are up at Cairns AAF.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
28 will be in the AMO building on the 3rd floor. It is the building right next to CTW-5. As far as more A/C, I don't know. Right now the guys going into 28 are coming from 8/18. I will look into the A/C issue and let you know what I find out. They might just order new ones with glass cockpits instead of refurbing all the old ones.

Smoke

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I HEARD (read: rumor) that this is based on a graduate project that was done by an IP and proposed to the wing. The basis is that the Navy has been ramping up helo training and continues to do so but the infrastructure of the 2 squadrons is having difficulty keeping up. I don't know about training aircraft, they seem to be doing a good job of keeping the instructors flying over there right now, as many of them will tell you, and I don't suspect that will change when they add a new squadron.
I think (read: really don't know sh!t) that the idea is to have 3 leaner, more efficient squadrons rather than the two bloated squadrons they have right now.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
does it or does it not look like trogdor, the BURNINATOR.

trogdor.gif

http://www.homestarrunner.com/trogdor.html

and why the 3 color background? 8's got it, 18's got it......

Rubiks06

pilot
What we were told is along those same lines. That HT-8 and HT-18 are "two of the largest helo squadrons if not the largest helo squadrons in the navy" and that they are trying to decrease squadron size.

MasterBates

Look at it this way, something around 50% of SNAs go thru the HTs.

There are 4 Jet VTs, 2 Prop VTs, and 2 HTs. (right now)

I always wondered why there were not more when I was a student.

Getting a 3rd squaron makes sense.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
well look at the length of the ht's vs jet vt's. 1 year + vs a couple of months? turnover says there can be more in and out.

so if they are using the same aircraft wouldn't the bottleneck be in turning so many aircraft so many times per day?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
well look at the length of the ht's vs jet vt's. 1 year + vs a couple of months? turnover says there can be more in and out.

I hear they're also going to have a correspondence course on MCI where you can learn to fly helos in about a month via the mail.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

so if they are using the same aircraft wouldn't the bottleneck be in turning so many aircraft so many times per day?

It's not so much a bottleneck as just the limit of IPs. HT IPs are doing 2 bags easy and often 3 bags a day. That's on top of their ground jobs (they don't have the civilians that the VTs do). Having the load spread across sounds like a reasonable idea. Also, helo selection is increasing this year (> 50%...saw that on a slide at some point), along w/ VT(p) production. Oh yeah, all w/out increased in funding/IPs.