• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ht-28???

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
@ Flash...while extra flight time is good, I have 2 flights and a checkride left for shite I am not going to do. The worst day in the NAVY is better than the best day in Air Force UPT.

I'll stick by my original thinking, this coming from someone who is stuck at a desk.........:(

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are talking about the Hawk it was designed from the beginning to be a jet trainer. Only later were single seat versions developed for the attack mission.
Yes, but at least when I went through, there are still "those guys" in Advanced who describe the Goshawk as "A British attack jet" to friends/relatives/SNAGs. :rolleyes:

KBayDog

...I'm a little skeptical of the NVG training in HTs.... 2) Are we saving training time at the FRS or somehow enhancing training there? If not, NVGs in HTs aren't that productive.

From the Marine side of the house: I can only speak for myself, but based on conversations with my peers, I feel they would echo my thoughts (hence the usage of "we" and "us"):

The NVG syllabus in the HTs was very beneficial in prepping us for the FRS. By the time we did the NS block in the HTs, we had well over 100 hours in model, we had our could cards, and we were comfortable in both the aircraft and the local airspace. The ground school was (painfully, at the time) thorough, and the flights were good NS fams, good BAW drills, and good NS NAV intros. (As a side note, while I don't have access to the actual figures, it is also probably much, much cheaper to give NVG fams in a Jet Ranger vice fleet aircraft.)

The NS transition at the FRS was nearly seamless. We only had 30+ hours in model, but the basics learned in the HTs gave us a good baseline comfort level. The briefing items were straight out of the MAWTS manual - from which the HT FTI was derived - so it just required a quick review. The "wow" factor of using NVGs was already experienced at the HTs, so in the FRS we could fly the aircraft, and not just marvel at the cool green images in front of our eyes. Thanks to the HT NS flights, in the FRS we could focus on more "advanced" NS skills - NAV, CALs, etc. - all with much larger and complex aircraft and (for the CH/UH guys) a larger crew than just the pilot/copilot. We only had a small handful of NS hours in the FRS, so already having a good NS fam prior to the FRS, in my opinion, made our FRS training much more efficient.

NVGs are here to stay. It is great that the HTs have incorporated them into the syllabus.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, but at least when I went through, there are still "those guys" in Advanced who describe the Goshawk as "A British attack jet" to friends/relatives/SNAGs. :rolleyes:

Ahhhhh, 'those guys'......probably the same ones who told everyone about the T-34 and/or the T-5 being used as attack planes, which they have been used for.......by countries like Argentina for the T-34C or those nutty Greeks in the case of the T-6A......

Of course, look what happened to the Argentine T-34C's that were in the Falklands:

open.file

BAE Hawk 200:

hawk3.jpg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Now I feel old - the XO , Stackhouse was a student of mine - his last flight with me was his AN 4/5 on 10 NOV 1992 BuNo 162676 - lol!

hscs

pilot
kbay -- couldn't agree more. The goggle training is really beneficial at HTs -- makes the training progress in the FRS. Just throwing some H60 cost numbers around -- you burn about 2000 lbs for a 2.0 hour FRS goggle hop -- you probably burn around 4-500 lbs for an HT hop. Big difference in gas cost alone. I would bet that there is few thousand dollar/flight hour difference in maintenance costs also.

Pags -- the reason why there is still an unaided currency requirement tied to goggles is that certain people in the HSC community don't want to "let go" and accept that goggles are here to stay. That will change with time. In fact, the new draft 60S SWTP has no mention of this requirement, nor does it have a separate NVDI qual -- it is all merged into the Level 3 syllabus.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The reason why there is still an unaided currency requirement tied to goggles is that certain people in the HSC community don't want to "let go" and accept that goggles are here to stay. That will change with time. In fact, the new draft 60S SWTP has no mention of this requirement, nor does it have a separate NVDI qual -- it is all merged into the Level 3 syllabus.
Maybe I just heard this wrong, but isn't unaided currency going away with the advent of the H60 common NATOPS? Also, re: NVDI, wtf... don't we cram enough into SWTP flights already? (see the level 2 "aerial gunnery/call for fire/small boat tactics/ATFP" flight)

hscs

pilot
Yes, it will be going away with the common NATOPS.

And you have validated my point -- there are too many things on the cards. The cards do not focus on a couple of skill sets for a 3 hour period -- e.g. Fastrope, SPIE, and Kduck all on one card. I would love for someone to tell me how all of those can be done in a 3 hour flight effectively.