• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to "reinstate" an officer commission

nodropinufaka

I am curious how the board members view prior active IWC designators verus DCOs.

I got off active duty following 9 years as an 1830 and am now an 1835. Did a staff officer at COCOM, competitive tour at a JIOC and sea duty aboard a carrier.

Wonder if it is viewed the same or different as a LT who has never Mobilized and only did drills for 9 years?

snake020

Contributor
I am curious how the board members view prior active IWC designators verus DCOs.

I got off active duty following 9 years as an 1830 and am now an 1835. Did a staff officer at COCOM, competitive tour at a JIOC and sea duty aboard a carrier.

Wonder if it is viewed the same or different as a LT who has never Mobilized and only did drills for 9 years?

This is a good starting point:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

You’re comparing apples to oranges. DCOs typically come in as an ENS. NAVET... usually the rank in which they separated or currently in (IRR).

What I’m trying to say is there’s different spots for both of you...

Probably a rationale similar to this:

"h. All recommended prior service commissioned officers shall be commissioned at their last commissioned rank. Recruiters are instructed to reset time-in-grade clocks for any professionally recommended candidates that will be commissioned in the grade of O-3 so as to not disadvantage or hinder the candidate's future promotion opportunities."

Do you recall where you found this guidance, and can you share? I've been looking online but I'm coming up blank.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know we have seen tough times before promotion boards in resent years, especially AD. But 3, 4 times FOS to LCDR? Reserves? Back in the day? Even 4+ FOS to CDR these days is too much. I could be wrong, but there are your clowns.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
But 3, 4 times FOS to LCDR? Reserves?
What are you talking about? If you 2xFOS for LCDR you are done unless you get continuation. It's happened to a couple of people I know (1835/Intel types) who did not promote to O4, mostly due to their own fault (very weak records compared to the pack). Retiring at O3 is better than nothing.

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/generalboardinfo/Pages/StatusNonSelect.aspx

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/reservepersonnelmgmt/officers/Pages/Continuation.aspx

We have a different standard in the Reserve which is witnessed by the slew of 2xFOS for O4 active duty types who come over, make times in completely different communities, and many of whom make O5/O6. My thought is that if you 2xFOS on active duty then that's the end of the line, just like it is for Reserve types who 2xFOS for O4.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What are you talking about? If you 2xFOS for LCDR you are done unless you get continuation. It's happened to a couple of people I know (1835/Intel types) who did not promote to O4, mostly due to their own fault (very weak records compared to the pack). Retiring at O3 is better than nothing.

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/generalboardinfo/Pages/StatusNonSelect.aspx

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/reservepersonnelmgmt/officers/Pages/Continuation.aspx

We have a different standard in the Reserve which is witnessed by the slew of 2xFOS for O4 active duty types who come over, make times in completely different communities, and many of whom make O5/O6. My thought is that if you 2xFOS on active duty then that's the end of the line, just like it is for Reserve types who 2xFOS for O4.
This is what I am talking about. And the post by @Flash witnessing successful O-5s going before 4-5 boards to make rank.
Well that's interesting, because the SELRES recruiter was perfectly happy to help me with a package after my 4th FOS. Just goes to show what a clown show it is, I guess.
I understand the difference between Reserves and AD. Did I misunderstand the two references above? I support and applaud AD aviators that got shafted in recent years who can find a home in the USNR and have a good Reserve career. But if they 2xFOS on the Reserve side then I expect the AD board was on to something. I am sorry. Those guys may be wonderful human beings. But I can't think of a reason to 2xFOS and then act surprised or ticked off. I did 26 years and finished an O-5. I must have gone before at least 2 O-6 boards. But I had essentially checked out at the 20 year mark. I had passed on a Reserve command offering for personal reasons. At that time command was almost required for an aviator to make O-6. Moreover, you can't turn down a command without there being consequences. I camped out in a local VTU and volunteered to support the Recruiting District HQ for years just for fun and to bank points. I had my career by then. No O-3 or O-4 should be able to do that and be taken seriously.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is what I am talking about. And the post by @Flash witnessing successful O-5s going before 4-5 boards to make rank.

Or be like the one guy in my unit who got it on his 10th look, who fortunately for him had two former Skippers and two others on the board that knew him.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I camped out in a local VTU and volunteered to support.. just for fun and to bank points. I had my career by then. No O-3 or O-4 should be able to do that and be taken seriously.
Why?This is exactly what I am doing and I am an O4 getting ready to hit my 20. I have no desire to waste any more time doing what is required to make O5 even though my community has an 80%+ select rate for O5.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why?This is exactly what I am doing and I am an O4 getting ready to hit my 20. I have no desire to waste any more time doing what is required to make O5 even though my community has an 80%+ select rate for O5.
You want to know why I didn't compete after 20? Half dozen reasons. Varied and personal. No hate. If you are done, and only stick around a VTU to benefit from 20 good years, fine. Too bad you think your work product as a competitive O-4 is a waste of time. Must be a community thing. I'll admit to wasting time on stupid reserve admin, but I know I produced good value beyond that. What I take issue with is the notion that the clown show can't see your value and promote you when you are, in fact, trying. There is a message there. Then there are the guys that are as good as done, but occupy O-3 and O-4 pay billets. They don't contribute. They act like drill pay is just a retainer towards mob and they don't have to produce a thing. Then, when they FOS they are surprised, even pissed because they had to drive over the bridge two days a month and have lunch with friends and drink a couple in the I Bar after work.

nodropinufaka

Then there are the guys that are as good as done, but occupy O-3 and O-4 pay billets. They don't contribute. They act like drill pay is just a retainer towards mob and they don't have to produce a thing. Then, when they FOS they are surprised, even pissed because they had to drive over the bridge two days a month and have lunch with friends and drink a couple in the I Bar after work.
So funny cause I see this so often.

They literally sit in the gym all morning then go Pandas and then Ibar. Its crazy no one cared about that.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You want to know why I didn't compete after 20?
I think we are crossing streams here. What you did.. There is not a damn thing wrong with it. You did your time and knew what was ahead and made the decision.

Same for me. Based on recent boards, I have an 85% - 87% chance at O5 when I am eligible. I just pinned on O4 in 2018. I will be retirement eligible in 2022 and will be eligible for O5 during the 2023 O5 board. Between now and board time, I'd have to go back to SELRES in a billet out of state and pay my own way in order to be competitive just like I did when I was an O3. I'd also have to either volunteer for a MOB or sit around and wait to get tagged, which I would happen about 1-1.5 years after going back SELRES and before the O5 board for sure. If I did pick up O5 on the first shot, then I'd be doing the APPLY thing and traveling on my own dime some more.

So, the NET NET is that I'd be looking at another 6 - 8 years in SELRES, a MOB, traveling on my own dime out of state to units that matter, etc, and being away from my family again for a MOB, doing AT's and the extras, weekends away, and missing work.

Ain't worth the extra retirement money.

Then there are the guys that are as good as done, but occupy O-3 and O-4 pay billets. They don't contribute. They act like drill pay is just a retainer towards mob and they don't have to produce a thing. Then, when they FOS they are surprised, even pissed because they had to drive over the bridge two days a month and have lunch with friends and drink a couple in the I Bar after work.
That is stupid. The people I know who have 2xFOS for O4 deserved it. It ain't that hard to figure out.

chrispaul

NFO
None
Hey AirWarriors,

I started this thread back in 2016. Checking in now to say I was re-commissioned in 2017 at the rank I left active duty way back in 1998 (O-3). I affiliated with a local Reserve unit that supports maritime air ops and so I feel very much back in the aviation community, but without flight hours. Weekends are spent in a flight suit with other aviators and annual ATs are in places close to the beach doing aviator stuff. Being a 50-year old LT, I get a few strange looks, but usually get a "that's cool" when I tell my story.

I know I'll have to MOB sometime, but my kids are grown and my employer is supportive. Going back to the NAV is not for everyone, but the camaraderie, extra cash, and another source of retirement pay (on top of a civilian 401k and Social Security) are pluses for me that outweigh the frustration of doing GMT, Fitreps in NAVFIT98 ('98!) and spending weekends away from home.

Drilling locally is key. There are some guys that travel for drill weekends on their own dime, which changes the $$ situation significantly. Thankfully, I'm in an area with a decent size Reserve community, so there are a good number of aviator billets and I'm back home with family each night.

Again, your personal situation may vary considerably.