• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to "reinstate" an officer commission

What does your promotion situation look like?
When are you up for O-4 board?
What challenges did you experience rebuilding your service record?

chrispaul

NFO
None
Mt precedence number reset when I came back in in 2017. I'll have my first look for O-4 at the FY-21 board. My hope is that as a "seasoned" LT with competitive Fitreps I'll have a good shot at getting picked up for O-4 my first time.

Rebuilding my service record was indeed something I spent my first couple years working on. Keep in mind I left the Navy when it was largely "pre-computers". BUPERS had all my Fitreps on file, but some awards, NOBC/AQDs, and other stuff were missing. Fortunately I still had my own files and was able to submit corrections to fill in the blanks. I even had my full medical records, but they just started a new medical record and weren't so interested in the old stuff.

Thanks. I’m you w/ a 10-year break instead of 20 ... 40 year old LT. I worked with the same NAVET recruiter you mentioned in this thread initially until I was passed on to someone else. Still trying to reconstruct my service record ... hard to tell when I’m up for board but 2 to 3 years is my best guess based on how many guys have come into zone last few years. Will be nice not to be a LT ... didn’t realize how top-heavy SelRes was.

subreservist

Mt precedence number reset when I came back in in 2017. I'll have my first look for O-4 at the FY-21 board. My hope is that as a "seasoned" LT with competitive Fitreps I'll have a good shot at getting picked up for O-4 my first time.

Make sure you have current Officer photo in your record and write a letter to the board explaining your break in service. Speaking from my own "break" experience, it will definitely help your promotion chances!

graham

Rebuilding my service record was indeed something I spent my first couple years working on.

This is what ultimately turned me off. Basically rebuilding an entire career and crossing your fingers that it's enough to break out against all the 30 year olds with recent competitive paper.

How many AD years did you have when you got out in '98? I hope you have enough time to build up new paper before Title 10 boots you out.

Anyway, thanks for checking back and good luck to you!

chrispaul

NFO
None
This is what ultimately turned me off. Basically rebuilding an entire career and crossing your fingers that it's enough to break out against all the 30 year olds with recent competitive paper.

How many AD years did you have when you got out in '98? I hope you have enough time to build up new paper before Title 10 boots you out.
I should clarify that BUPERS had almost all my records from 8.5 years of AD. By rebuilding my records, I meant that I had to fill in some missing records - copies of two awards, a few NOBC/AQDs, and getting a new officer photograph. Fortunately, I had all the documentation. The work was simply putting the right package of info together to send to Millington.

I'm a Department Head in a unit where all the other DHs (and even some assistant DHs) are O-4s and I've received competitive Fitreps since returning. I suppose those O-4 boards will the real test.

They brought me back with the wrong time in service ... they credited my USNA time as prior enlisted service, and added that to my 8 years AD for 12 years service ... which is great and all, but wrong. Manpower was able to fix that. My ARPR/ASOSH also still doesn’t reflect my AD time. Have sent stuff in to BUPERS to correct, am told it takes 6 months to make corrections. Oh well.

All of my personal awards were in my record but had to rebuild my unit and service awards in NSIPS. I had a bunch of AQDs restored to my record but no NOBCs, so I believe I need to route a formal request through NOSC CO to get those added - is that what you did?

graham

How long did the recruiting process take, from when you first made contact with somebody to when you put on a uniform? (Or got your first drill pay, or whatever the Reserve equivalent of arriving at boot camp is.)

I'm still on the fence about following you guys, but for personal reasons I'm better off waiting a bit. But...I still have a CAC and easy access to a naval hospital for the moment, and I know that'll make the process a lot easier.

chrispaul

NFO
None
In my case, I started working with a NAVET recruiter at BUPERS in November and raised my hand the following April. My first actual drill weekend was two months later.

The NAVADMIN announcing the FY21 Reserve LCDR boards came out last month, looks line in-zone for URL is precedent numbers is 420055-25 to 421386-68. Did you fall in-zone? It seems like this is a very small zone compared to years past. If that rate were to continue I'd have another 6 years before my first look at O-4.

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2019/NAV19305.txt

Last edited: