• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to Dress when meeting Officer Recruiter for the first time

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
The one thing that being an Officer and trying to learn to fly not from the back seat has taught me is that professionalism, striving for excellence, and trying to make yourself better than you were the last time you flew will only benefit numero uno. If you don't care that you fucked something up so be it, but if you do, then you're the kind of person that belongs with us. Effort goes a LONG way in this business, and it does separate you from the ass clowns. You don't have to be Chuck Yeager, but if you give a shit, people will rally in your favor. Soooo, give a shit or take a hike. Whether it's the clothes you wear to an interview, or using a ruler to brief your mission on the blackboard... Bottom line, show you care

Wingnut

Kill your television
I'm going to side with A4 on this one, it's hard to go wrong taking your dress up a notch. Your recruiter sees people all the time who are half-interested, and he isn't going to do anything to try and hook those people up. If you show a conscious effort in everything you present to your recruiter, even if you come off as a bit presumptions, you are better off than if it looks like you casually rolled in off the street. Other things may push you over the top or hold you back regardless, but it's one of a number of areas where some extra effort may go a long way.
By the way A4, you're headed up to my home turf. Enjoy those mountains, I sure miss them after two years of Florida and Texas flatland.

BackOrdered

Contributor
My 2 cents even though this topic is a month old. You should dress as if you were on a job interview. But poise, demeanor, articulation, and an air of tenacity are the best ways to be taken seriously.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I'm sorry, sir. But I disagree. While I think it is VERY unprofessional to show up in shorts and flip flops, I had to ride my motorcycle (no car at the time) 2 hours south to get to my NRD. I wore jeans and a T-shirt, possibly a button-down shirt. My qualifications spoke for themselves. With a good GPA, good leadership record, STELLAR ASTB, my jeans and shirt were overlooked. Don't show up looking like an assclown, but I don't think a suit and tie or anything formal is necessary.

If you're qualified, you're qualified. Shit, the first time I went down, I still had my earrings and long hair.
If only such a minimalist attitude of coasting on your qualifications could gaurantee you a single-seat aircraft.

...that way, we'd only have to worry about you killing yourself, instead of an entire crew.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
At the risk of re--entering this never ending discussion (we've done it before on this forum :)) ......

Here's where I'm comin' from:

I'm NOT tryin' to get you guys to DO IT MY WAY. I'll never meet 99.99999% of you, so in the greater scheme of things -- what does it matter to me how you look for your recruiter interview ... ???

Well here's what: I've interviewed (and hired) new hire candidates at two major airlines during my career. I interviewed and hired new pilots (fixed and rotary) at a "high-end" Part 135 operation during one furlough. I know what it takes to make a "good impression" and stand out -- I know what it takes to set yourself above the rest of the bleating herd of "average". If you had ever seen a literal 4 foot stack of pilot applications sitting on the floor in Personnel (what they USED to call it ... ) you would understand.

It's a TOTAL PACKAGE. It's not any ONE thing; it's not just grades, test scores, recommendations, sports, do your socks match, etc., etc., on and on, ad infinitum .... it's the total package, the whole person. You want to be on your "A" game -- show them you are worthy of joining the profession and are someone who will bring credit to the organization.

The minimalist approach is for chumps and slackers. Don't go there -- it's never to your credit.

I'm just tryin' to get YOU GUYS to be better than the rest. Nothing of any life-threatening importance in it for me --- I don't win or lose on this one -- other than the fact I still care about who gets into "my" NAVY :icon_wink --- I'm just tryin' to get YOU to be the best you can be ...

Be better than the rest. That's all ... :)

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
At the risk of re--entering this never ending discussion (we've done it before on this forum :)) ......

Here's where I'm comin' from:

I'm NOT tryin' to get you guys to DO IT MY WAY. I'll never meet 99.99999% of you, so in the greater scheme of things -- what does it matter to me how you look for your recruiter interview ... ???

Well here's what: I've interviewed (and hired) new hire candidates at two major airlines during my career. I interviewed and hired new pilots (fixed and rotary) at a "high-end" Part 135 operation during one furlough. I know what it takes to make a "good impression" and stand out -- I know what it takes to set yourself above the rest of the bleating herd of "average". If you had ever seen a literal 4 foot stack of pilot applications sitting on the floor in Personnel (what they USED to call it ... ) you would understand.

It's a TOTAL PACKAGE. It's not any ONE thing; it's not just grades, test scores, recommendations, sports, do your socks match, etc., etc., on and on, ad infinitum .... it's the total package, the whole person. You want to be on your "A" game -- show them you are worthy of joining the profession and are someone who will bring credit to the organization.

The minimalist approach is for chumps and slackers. Don't go there -- it's never to your credit.

I'm just tryin' to get YOU GUYS to be better than the rest. Nothing of any life-threatening importance in it for me --- I don't win or lose on this one -- other than the fact I still care about who gets into "my" NAVY :icon_wink --- I'm just tryin' to get YOU to be the best you can be ...

Be better than the rest. That's all ... :)

I understand all, and very good points. But the recruiter doesn't have any say on your selection. He is merely the facilitator that gets your completed package to the board. At least, that was how it was when I was in.

Everyone's experience will be different, I suppose. Most of the times I saw my recruiter we for minutes to check in or do some other odds and ends. Nothing major. If I were to be going for an official interview, I think everyone would dress appropriately. Social norms are not quite the same today as they were XX numbers of years ago.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If only such a minimalist attitude of coasting on your qualifications could gaurantee you a single-seat aircraft.

...that way, we'd only have to worry about you killing yourself, instead of an entire crew.

Much like the frumpy dress does to the recruiter, I've given a false impression. I didn't go OUT OF MY WAY to look lazy and unprofessional. All I was saying was that I didn't have nice slacks and a button down shirt clean the day I went to the recruiter, and I only had a motorcycle and a 2 hour ride ahead of me. I was dressed in a T-shirt and jeans (not ripped, worn with a belt and not sagging or any of that nonsense). It wasn't "business attire", but riding a motorcycle for that kind of distance would probably not be very safe in fancy shoes and slacks.

I showed up, took the ASTB, conducted myself professionally and wearing a riding jacket and holding a helmet, I think my recruiter understood my predicament.

I'm not saying to be lazy and wear jeans/T-shirt. I was just saying don't sweat the small stuff. If it's all you have or are in a similar situation to me, wear it and just be professional and I'm sure it won't kill your chances.

I just wanted to share that while it is good to put the odds in your favor and dress up/whatever, that I showed up in a jeans/riding jacket/tshirt, earrings and long hair, and I made it, so it isn't the end-all, be-all of the application process.

On subsequent visits after I was in BDCP (and had a CAR), I met him in slacks and a button down shirt (as I did for my swearing in).