• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to Dress when meeting Officer Recruiter for the first time

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Eh... on some forums.

but if it's not on this forum then i'll gladly plead innocent. :icon_tong

You're not an official airwarrior newbie until you've revived a dead thread. Welcome aboard!

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I've never worn anything other than a t-shirt and jeans... but I go to ASU, so putting on jeans rather than shorts was a pretty big step, and not wearing flip flops was ridiculous. No one ever seemed to care what I was wearing.

Given that, being overdressed is probably better than underdressed.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I've never worn anything other than a t-shirt and jeans...
Are you guys idiots ??? Mentally challenged ??? Products of our "modern" society ??? Victims of poor potty training ???

You're trying out for a "profession". Try to look "professional".

Wear a fuckin' coat & tie. You're gonna wear "it" in the NAV. How hard is that .... ???

Good grief, people ...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Are you guys idiots ??? Mentally challenged ??? Products of our "modern" society ??? Victims of poor potty training ???

You're trying out for a "profession". Try to look "professional".

Wear a fuckin' coat & tie. You're gonna wear "it" in the NAV. How hard is that .... ???

Good grief, people ...

I'm sorry, sir. But I disagree. While I think it is VERY unprofessional to show up in shorts and flip flops, I had to ride my motorcycle (no car at the time) 2 hours south to get to my NRD. I wore jeans and a T-shirt, possibly a button-down shirt. My qualifications spoke for themselves. With a good GPA, good leadership record, STELLAR ASTB, my jeans and shirt were overlooked. Don't show up looking like an assclown, but I don't think a suit and tie or anything formal is necessary.

If you're qualified, you're qualified. Shit, the first time I went down, I still had my earrings and long hair.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm sorry, sir. But I disagree. ..... I don't think a suit and tie or anything formal is necessary....
I'm NOT talkin' a white sportcoat & a pink carnation ... i.e. all dressed up for the dance. (Anyone remember that song??) :)

Just a blazer, slacks, and a shirt/tie. Professional. If you MUST ride your bike to the interview -- feel free to improvise.

PLUS ... YOU WERE a tool/fool ... now you're an Ensign in the USN, have your head on straight (or at least still adjusting :D) and are moving forward. Tell 'em the RIGHT way to do it and let the chips fall where they may ...

Reactions: Tom

MasterBates

While I may not have done the shirt/tie thing, you can't go wrong with making a good impression.

I did know enough to not wear jeans and a Metallica T-shirt. (I am known to wear those and Iron Maiden shirs in a flight suit). But why not stack the deck in your favor.

I think I wore a pair of dockers, and a nice collared shirt. Basically what I wore to work as an engineer. But its been 10 years. Your future. Dress accordingly.

(For the record, the ONLY ties I own are the one for my AWGs and a HIDEOUS royal blue bowtie handed down to me from an OIC (for use with "HingeMessDress")

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'm NOT talkin' a white sportcoat & a pink carnation ... i.e. all dressed up for the Prom. (remember that song??) :)

Just a blazer, slacks, and a shirt/tie. Professional. If you MUST ride your bike to the interview -- feel free to improvise.

PLUS ... you WERE a tool/fool ... now you're an Ensign in the USN, have your head on straight (or at least still adjusting :D) and are moving forward. Tell 'em the RIGHT way to do it and let the chips fall where they may ...

Yes, I was a tool, and still am.... a "utensil". Not quite a tool anymore. However, I feel that as long as you are not BLATANTLY disrespectful or lazy in your attire, there is no big deal. You recruiter doesn't expect much from a civilian college student. Don't show up with swizzle sticks in your front pocket and you are probably ahead of the game.

I would wear slacks and a button down shirt, but by NO means is a jacket and nice pants required. I like to think that your qualifications are most important. A guy with a 2.5 GPA in basketweaving isn't going to get far, no matter how he dresses. Bogey_spotter (aka: joboy at the time) with 4 ear piercings, jeans and a skivvy shirt had NO problems with the recruiter after scoring a 63 8/8/8 and a 3.54 in aerospace engineering with 6 LORs (2 from a Marine and Naval Officer). Dress professionally, but don't sweat the small stuff. If you are qualified, you will have NO PROBLEMS with your recruiter.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I was a jeans & sweatshirt in the winter progressing to flip flops, cargo shorts and t-shirt in the summer. Only time I ever went to the office dressed up was for my swearing in.

No one ever had a problem, and it was the norm.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was a jeans & sweatshirt in the winter progressing to flip flops, cargo shorts and t-shirt in the summer. Only time I ever went to the office dressed up was for my swearing in.

No one ever had a problem, and it was the norm.

To sum up my oh-so-long post above....

DITTO

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
Just a blazer, slacks, and a shirt/tie. Professional.

One of my advisors in college sits on boards for West Point applicants. He told me that a sure fire way to screw yourself over is to wear anything without a collar or made of denim. Obviously slightly different than meeting your recruiter for the first time, but the same idea applies. Look nice, it can't hurt. I don't think you need a coat and tie in today's society, but it can't hurt, unless of course you pulled it out of A4s' closet or a thrift store.:D Regardless of what you wear it should be clean, pressed, and tucked in. And +1 on the need for a good haircut.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... You (sic) recruiter doesn't expect much from a civilian college student. ....

You made my point. Rise ABOVE the rest of the pack. Do better; be better ... make the impression that sez to your recruiter: "Hey ... this guy's different than the rest of the maddening crowd ... I'll give him a closer look. "

It costs you NOTHING ... and might pay big, big dividends.

I'm done -- you guys are smarter than I ... do what you want ... and after you come back from your NAVY and airline career w/ > 20,000 flight hours in the bank alongside your $$$$ .... you tell me "how it should be done". :)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You made my point. Rise ABOVE the rest of the pack. Do better; be better ... make the impression that sez to your recruiter: "Hey ... this guy's different than the rest of the maddening crowd ... I'll give him a closer look. "

It costs you NOTHING ... and might pay big, big dividends.

I'm done -- you guys are smarter than I ... do what you want ... and after you come back from your NAVY and airline career w/ > 20,000 flight hours in the bank alongside your $$$$ .... you tell me "how it should be done". :)

I'm not discounting your vast amount of experience/knowledges. I was just saying how it was FOR ME. My recruiter didn't take me very seriously UNTIL he saw my ASTB scores/GPA etc. Then he was CALLING ME, and he didn't give a crap how I was dressed. He only cared that I had GREAT stats and WANTED to join the Navy as an officer. Now, if you go in very respectfully and show up in slacks and a button down shirt, you may very well get a great response, however if you are qualified, you are qualified, and once that is discovered, you will be treated as such. If you suck, then no matter how you dress, you will not be very well supported/etc.

Still, A4s... my full respect to you, sir.