• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How long does it take to class-up

FLens

Is that a 35% fail rate or a 35% got held back rate?
Mostly rolled back. The vast majority of drops at this stage is from NAMI (before reaching NIFE). After that it it would be a toss-up between academics and the flying, then DOR's.

Academics correlates to studying hard more than anything, in my opinion. Yes there's usually some freak studs, but the top guys in my class was a solid mix between stem vs. non-stem, aviation background vs. no aviation background, and in the library 8 hours a day vs. happy hour most nights. However, the guys that seemed to struggle seemed to be the ones going out most nights. Nothing wrong with that, like I said, we had smart guys do that as well, just never saw a guy who studied *efficiently* in groups after class struggle that much. Obviously there are outliers.

In my opinion, the flying boils down to coordination. The EP's/Limits/Checklists aren't that bad, but if you struggle with hand eye coordination, then flying is going to be a little tougher. I'd be interested to hear what Old Salt's think about this. The people I saw struggle most of the time had the checklists down tight. You just get stupid when you step in a cockpit, and if you struggle with coordination, it's just another side to deal with.

Just my opinion, I'd be interested to hear what other people think as well!

Astro_Rekt

Me personally? I wouldn’t call it “trouble.” I got slightly above the class average in the academics phase but had to work for it, while I watched some other people seem to sleep through the slides and beat my score. NAV ate a couple people, but weather was actually my lowest score.

I LOVED flying in the Cessna, got at or above MIF every time. Didn’t prof advance, but felt good and did well on the checkride. Disclaimer: I’m a big flight sim nerd. And I’m no genius but I am good at memorizing things, which is probably the only heavy lifting you do in the flying phase of NIFE.
The idea that you can prof advance the cessna is weird to me, but I guess it makes sense.

FloridaDad

Mostly rolled back. The vast majority of drops at this stage is from NAMI (before reaching NIFE). After that it it would be a toss-up between academics and the flying, then DOR's.

Academics correlates to studying hard more than anything, in my opinion. Yes there's usually some freak studs, but the top guys in my class was a solid mix between stem vs. non-stem, aviation background vs. no aviation background, and in the library 8 hours a day vs. happy hour most nights. However, the guys that seemed to struggle seemed to be the ones going out most nights. Nothing wrong with that, like I said, we had smart guys do that as well, just never saw a guy who studied *efficiently* in groups after class struggle that much. Obviously there are outliers.

In my opinion, the flying boils down to coordination. The EP's/Limits/Checklists aren't that bad, but if you struggle with hand eye coordination, then flying is going to be a little tougher. I'd be interested to hear what Old Salt's think about this. The people I saw struggle most of the time had the checklists down tight. You just get stupid when you step in a cockpit, and if you struggle with coordination, it's just another side to deal with.

Thanks for the advice! Ya I plan to spend my time in training buried in notes and flashcards. I can't imagine losing out on an opportunity for this kind of career because I wasn't willing to put the work in. And it's not like college where I had to work as well; they're freaking paying you to study and learn.

I'm curious what the overall drop rate for SNA is (after NAMI medical stuff) before the end of the pipeline. Obviously I'm full of crap since I'm still in the application process but I can't imagine going through all the hard work and studying I've done to even just apply, getting accepted, getting through OCS, and then failing out of training when your only job is to pass training.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
The idea that you can prof advance the cessna is weird to me, but I guess it makes sense.
It shouldn’t be weird, when it was IFS studs could bypass it entirely if they had a PPL or better. The guys I saw prof advance NIFE flying had a PPL or better.

Birdbrain

pilot
I know many people who lived out near Perdido Key/Gulf Shores so that they would be close to Jack Edwards (now Gulf Shore Regional)
Jack Edwards has a tower now? Cool.

OP the wait time and location for Primary changes all the time. There's really no gauging it. At API I lived a few minutes from the gate, at Primary in NASWF I moved to Milton to a few minutes from the gate, and in Advanced I bumped that out to about 20 minutes and I knew I would be there a while. I just didn't realize how long I would actually live there! Almost 2 years from Commissioning to Advanced with 3 moves and almost 2 years from checking into Meridian to winging with one move. Milton or Corpus was a crapshoot, when I checked in to API they said NASWF was backed up and everyone went Corpus. Then my class went through and Corpus was backed up but Milton was taking everybody.

EDIT: realized I never answered OP's question directly. I waited 6 months from commissioning to classing up API, 3 months to classing up Primary, and near 8 months to classing up Advanced (extenuating circumstances with broken jets). It's probably changed a lot between then and it'll be sure to change a lot in the future.

Last edited:

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Jack Edwards has a tower now? Cool.

OP the wait time and location for Primary changes all the time. There's really no gauging it. At API I lived a few minutes from the gate, at Primary in NASWF I moved to Milton to a few minutes from the gate, and in Advanced I bumped that out to about 20 minutes and I knew I would be there a while. I just didn't realize how long I would actually live there! Almost 2 years from Commissioning to Advanced with 3 moves and almost 2 years from checking into Meridian to winging with one move. Milton or Corpus was a crapshoot, when I checked in to API they said NASWF was backed up and everyone went Corpus. Then my class went through and Corpus was backed up but Milton was taking everybody.
And for the curious at NIFE right now, wait time at Corpus is about 3 months, Whiting is about 5. And if you’re not in NIFE yet, it’s gonna be totally different by the time you get there.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Academics correlates to studying hard more than anything, in my opinion. Yes there's usually some freak studs, but the top guys in my class was a solid mix between stem vs. non-stem, aviation background vs. no aviation background, and in the library 8 hours a day vs. happy hour most nights. However, the guys that seemed to struggle seemed to be the ones going out most nights. Nothing wrong with that, like I said, we had smart guys do that as well, just never saw a guy who studied *efficiently* in groups after class struggle that

Too old for this NIFE shit, but what you said about getting stupid when you get into a cockpit is a truism that is a good thing that you’re learning early in your career that doesn’t change. I like to tell students about the weight on ass switch that makes you lose 20 IQ points. Where those IQ points come from varies by individual. I personally lose the ability to do basic math. So do whatever you need to do at 1g 0kts to fill that IQ point gap. As a P8 TACCO, that meant for me having lead time cheat sheets, for example. Had to have more cheat sheets in the P3, but the P8 is very forgiving on history majors in that regard with software aids.

upsairnuc

Someone I know recently reported to NASP as a SNA. During INDOC briefing it was mentioned current wait time for classing up for NIFE is 13-14 months?? Current A-Pool at ~900 bodies. Can this be correct?

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Never quite got this attitude. They will pay for it on the backside since their commitment won’t start until they wing.
Yeah that’s true. I guess I just accepted that since there’s nothing you can really do to speed things up, but those were some great care free days.