• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How long does it take to class-up

Me and my buddies are all going to commissions as SNAs in May, and are planning on living in together but are debating on where to live due to how long we will be in Pensacola. How long does it take to class up typically after you report? Thank you.

BOMR822

pilot
My wait for NIFE was around 3 months, but your experience will vary. I've seen much longer (due to clearance issues/med issues), and heard of it being shorter.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Anywhere from 3-6 months. I saw people get jammed up by NAMI, myself and some other ensigns got pulled aside for a special project, SNFOs always move faster through the pipeline, etc. Do not count on classing up together, even if you check in around the same time. Definitely don't count on finishing together either - everybody goes at different paces in the flying phase, people roll swim, people roll physio. People do fail out of or DOR from NIFE. There's a wait for Primary, a wait for Intermediate/Advanced, it just keeps happening. Going forward, count on waiting and count on not knowing for how long. Take all the leave you can, study and stay busy.

I know many people who lived out near Perdido Key/Gulf Shores so that they would be close to Jack Edwards (now Gulf Shore Regional) and so that the Navy would move them near Whiting when they went to primary. My wife wanted to be close to downtown Pensacola, so we lived in the East Hill area. My commute to Whiting would've been brutal (by my standards), 45-60 minutes one way - but I chose Corpus and that didn't end up being a problem for me. Also, I was literally 5 minutes from KPNS - and having a 5 minute commute from my NIFE flying phase base was truly awesome. A good buddy of mine bought a house in Pace and had a horrible commute for all of NIFE but now has no commute for Primary. Another lived exactly halfway between NASP and Whiting and could tolerate the commute - but he also has an infant and is trying to move as little as possible during flight school. He even talks about going helos for this reason.

TL/DR: I'm only in primary, but my experience thus far + talking to people farther down the pipeline tells me that where you choose to live in relation to your duty station in flight school is a dice roll. The gouge is always changing, landlords in these military towns are a mixed bag. Find out what you can, make an educated guess as to what you think will be most conducive to completing a given phase of training.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Whatever the wait time is, is it roughly the same for Navy/Marines?
The Marines usually have a longer wait, sometimes much longer. When I classed up in October 2021, there were Marines in my class who had been there since December 2020.

RoarkJr.

I lived in east heights and my commute to NASWF was 40 minutes. If no one was on the road I could get there in 35. Some of the early briefs were gnarly but I found it pretty doable and well worth the 20 minute NASP commute, 5 minutes to downtown, 5 minutes to NIFE, 15 or so to the beach etc.

BravoBeach

pilot
Navy SNA
College Graduation June 2021
Reported Pensacola NAS July 2021
Stash job until October 2021
NIFE started November 2021
Finished Cessna's January 2022
Waiting for rest of NIFE class to finish Cessna's until Physio starts. Started with 40 down to 26.

tcham28

None
Navy SNA
College Graduation June 2021
Reported Pensacola NAS July 2021
Stash job until October 2021
NIFE started November 2021
Finished Cessna's January 2022
Waiting for rest of NIFE class to finish Cessna's until Physio starts. Started with 40 down to 26.
What would you say accounted for that 14 person drop?

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
What would you say accounted for that 14 person drop?
I know a couple of people in my NIFE class rolled academics, a couple more had trouble with airsickness, one person in my class couldn’t fly the Cessna to save their lives, and we lost a couple more in physio. Not nearly the level of attrition you see at OCS, but don’t think you don’t have to take NIFE seriously.

PMPT

live somewhere fun and have fun. i strongly recommend perdido key just because its so damn beautiful. does moving twice in 6-12 months suck? yes, maybe, but so is living somewhere dull and boring for what should be a seriously fun 6-12 months of your life.

tcham28

None
I know a couple of people in my NIFE class rolled academics, a couple more had trouble with airsickness, one person in my class couldn’t fly the Cessna to save their lives, and we lost a couple more in physio. Not nearly the level of attrition you see at OCS, but don’t think you don’t have to take NIFE seriously.
Did academics or flying phase give you any trouble?

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Did academics or flying phase give you any trouble?
Me personally? I wouldn’t call it “trouble.” I got slightly above the class average in the academics phase but had to work for it, while I watched some other people seem to sleep through the slides and beat my score. NAV ate a couple people, but weather was actually my lowest score.

I LOVED flying in the Cessna, got at or above MIF every time. Didn’t prof advance, but felt good and did well on the checkride. Disclaimer: I’m a big flight sim nerd. And I’m no genius but I am good at memorizing things, which is probably the only heavy lifting you do in the flying phase of NIFE.

tcham28

None
Me personally? I wouldn’t call it “trouble.” I got slightly above the class average in the academics phase but had to work for it, while I watched some other people seem to sleep through the slides and beat my score. NAV ate a couple people, but weather was actually my lowest score.

I LOVED flying in the Cessna, got at or above MIF every time. Didn’t prof advance, but felt good and did well on the checkride. Disclaimer: I’m a big flight sim nerd. And I’m no genius but I am good at memorizing things, which is probably the only heavy lifting you do in the flying phase of NIFE.
Awesome, thanks!