• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do women keep up???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
TargetInSight said:
Which makes me wonder... do they have treadmills on submarines? Or perhaps bicycles that are tied into the propeller for silent runs?

Actually, yes. There are bikes and row machines on the sub as well as a small set of weights. The amount of stuff depends on the size of the boat, but the Dallas, a fast attack, very small, had two bikes and a row machine plus some weights.

BTW-the only ones I ever saw on them were in my task unit (visiting divers and SEALs), but we were only onboard for 10 or so days at a time, they could get used when we aren't around.

jg5343

pilot
CommodoreMid said:
I ain't fat dumbass, I'm 5'3" and weigh 125 lbs. I can run for long periods of time (yesterday ran non stop for 45 min at about a 9:30 pace) I'm just slow. There is a difference.

And considering I'm just starting NROTC I have plenty of time to improve.

That doesn't mean jack. I could run 15 minute miles for hours, just hope the guys after me are slow and enduarant too. (jokes)

Try running all out for shorter periods of time. Start trying to sprint 800s then 1600s then the mile and a half. It will get your body in a 'quicker' mentality. I know you can't sprint a mile and a half, but the 800 is very doable. Try running as fast as you can for 15 minutes. Its only 15 minutes so it won't be unbarable and you know you will be able to finish a mile and a half in that time. Anuyone have any short long distance training routines? I am just trying to remember the stuff we did for track in school to train for the mile.

wilsonator

what's really funny is seeing the re-designates who have been in the fleet for a few years and then have to run a 12:00 to get into API and the run times in an active duty squadron. You may be in shape when you get out of OCS but see who's still in shape now. 13:30 is fast for some of these turds who ran 10:00 in OCS. [Do Marine AIC officers even run the PRT? (inside joke, quit scratching your head)]

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
New Navy Standards courtesy of Lemoore:
https://lemoore.med.navy.mil/wellness/Navy Fitness Standards.htm
Not that hard to pass as you can see. Definitely get easier as you get older. You don't need an outstanding to pass. In fact all your fitrep will say is PW/S "passed within standards". So staying in shape is your own duty if you want to prevent GLOC as in my community...stay in shape=stay alive...sounds like a plan to me
r/
Goz
"Eat Less Dog" (see how many of you know what that means....)

jg5343

pilot
I thought W/S was weight standard. Like if you were too fat they would put your body fat instead.

jg5343

pilot
I think most people will agree, even the women, that the bottom line is there should one single qualifying standard for both sexes. A minimum for the job period. Then give more points for excellent/outstanding/etc on a biased scale. If the males have to do 23 p/u min then the females should have to too. Same job, same standard to qualify. That's how they do it at dive school and no one there ever questions the females right to be diving beside him. SAME standard there. Although the males always out performed the females, the minimum standard was the same. Makes much more sense that way. IMHO

manny7_99

jg5343 said:
I think most people will agree, even the women, that the bottom line is there should one single qualifying standard for both sexes. A minimum for the job period. Then give more points for excellent/outstanding/etc on a biased scale. If the males have to do 23 p/u min then the females should have to too. Same job, same standard to qualify. That's how they do it at dive school and no one there ever questions the females right to be diving beside him. SAME standard there. Although the males always out performed the females, the minimum standard was the same. Makes much more sense that way. IMHO

Kinda agree.

If you are gonna use the word "equality" so often, then have EQUAL standards.

jg5343

pilot
Everyone has the same minimum, guys have to do more to max out. Only fair way.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
manny7_99 said:
How do women keep up???

Hmmm......

They don't!

:)

You know, I don't mind discussions and what not, and most peoples opinions don't bother me, because they're just that, opinions. But what you said is f*cked up. If you look back to the original question, it was how do women keep up with the 3 mile battalion runs when they are done at an 8 minute a mile pace. I can run 3 miles at an 8 minute a mile pace, and I know a bunch of other women who can too. So, we can keep up, and if you read back through all the reply's, you'll see that I'm trying to get to the male standards before I get to OCS so that I'm looked upon as an "equal." So, before you go off spouting out bullsh*t like this, read the rest of the thread. And if you did a little informal survey of military women you know (like I have), you might come to see that alot of women agree that they do want equal standards. It would be alot more helpful to have your support while we're working our @sses off to get to the same times/standards as you instead of your criticism.

-Erin Leigh

jg5343

pilot
I could give a sht really, but that would really shut a LOT of people up. There would be no more argument.

gnorman911

Ok, well I didn't mean to start a gender equality question with this thread. But I agree with erinleigh31 and everyone else. We should have the same standards, they should just be the women's standards, but then again I don't like running. Frankly if women want to be judged by men standards, they can borrow mine. I would actually like doing the PRT at that speed. Thanks for the info on battalion runs, and I think we can stop bashing women now. I would never bash women, their cute...

Whalebite

Hahaha...If there was a pay incentive tied to your pft, I think you'd see improvements. But that would create conflicts, no?

manny7_99

erinleigh31 said:
You know, I don't mind discussions and what not, and most peoples opinions don't bother me, because they're just that, opinions. But what you said is f*cked up. If you look back to the original question, it was how do women keep up with the 3 mile battalion runs when they are done at an 8 minute a mile pace. I can run 3 miles at an 8 minute a mile pace, and I know a bunch of other women who can too. So, we can keep up, and if you read back through all the reply's, you'll see that I'm trying to get to the male standards before I get to OCS so that I'm looked upon as an "equal." So, before you go off spouting out bullsh*t like this, read the rest of the thread. And if you did a little informal survey of military women you know (like I have), you might come to see that alot of women agree that they do want equal standards. It would be alot more helpful to have your support while we're working our @sses off to get to the same times/standards as you instead of your criticism.

-Erin Leigh

Sorry if you took it personal. I guess humor can't be read very well online. However, if you can't handle criticism how will you ever keep up? (And I dont mean physically.) I did read the whole thread. Word of advice to you...develop a thick skin. Just my .00002 cents

Good Luck'

Status
Not open for further replies.