• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do women keep up???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Clux4 said:
I think he does. He is awesome for a civilian pilot.

Shoot, from seeing him at the Blue Angel's Homecoming last year, I'd say he can fly circles around most pilots, civilian or military.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Fly Navy said:
How can women be considered equals in the military if they are not held to equal standards?

I understand just as much as the next person that men and women are physically and emotionally different from each other. The reason the scores are different is because generally, because of the way the female body is made, men tend to be faster and stronger the females. We have to have more body fat because our body's are capable of having baby's. Also, our body structure is different (wider hips, etc.) But, that doesn't necesarrily mean that men will be better at their jobs than females. Yes, in some places, it does (look at the Spec-War community). Also, look at things like SAR Swimmers (and correct me if I'm wrong here...but I beleive I'm right). It doesn't matter if you're male or female, you're held to the same standards. So, I beleive that where it really, really matters how strong/fast you are, you are held to the same standards.

All of that said, I am trying my best to be at the male standards, not the female. I feel that I would be looked upon more as an equal that way. When I'm at work, I want to be looked at as an engineer/sailor...thats it.

-Erin Leigh

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
erinleigh31 said:
All of that said, I am trying my best to be at the male standards, not the female. I feel that I would be looked upon more as an equal that way. When I'm at work, I want to be looked at as an engineer/sailor...thats it.

-Erin Leigh

Now this is a proper attitude. :)

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
46Driver said:
True enough, but the determinant of who should sit in the cockpit is flight skill to avoid the shootdown, not to be able to escape after it occurs. If that was the case, we could just skip grades in flight school and let everyone run a PFT....

But if the requirements set for women is the "minimum" needed for being fit enough to fly, why have the male standards higher? Why cut some men out b/c they aren't up to the current physical standards but have great skills as a pilot?

Kobyra

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USAF flight physiologist centrifuge study found the best suited physical make up to pull high Gs such as in an F-16 was a short female. The low CG just maked it all work out better.

r/
Goz
aka "Simon"

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
kobyra said:
But if the requirements set for women is the "minimum" needed for being fit enough to fly, why have the male standards higher? Why cut some men out b/c they aren't up to the current physical standards but have great skills as a pilot?

Kobyra

I'm not sure what the PRT standards are for pilots, or if they're the same for the rest of the Navy. But I do beleive that 15:30, or whatever passing is for a mile and a half for a female is ridicuolous....I think I can walk a mile and a half in that time. I just know at OCS we have to graduate with outstanding low...which in the male catorgery is very quick for me. Yes, I think the minimum should be upped. I think minimum for males is 13:30 (not quite sure if I'm looking at the right charts) to still pass. That isn't hard to obtain, so if you're saying females should have to be able to pass those standards, then yes, I agree with you. Again though, I'm not sure what the PRT standards are for pilots.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Minimums for females is 13:30 (which for me is difficult, yes I am female).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CommodoreMid said:
Minimums for females is 13:30 (which for me is difficult, yes I am female).

NROTC mins are not real mins. The rest of the Navy, as far as I recall (outside of training commands and special operations) goes by the Satisfactory scale for the PRT. Read OPNAVINST 6110.1G. Also, remember mins vary by age.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
I still remember that Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue with Christie Brinkley...

DairyCreamer

I thought it had to do with the head to heart distance... low CG would seem to have little if nothing to do with it, from what I can think of it. Short means less vein/artery length between the heart and brain vessels, meaining oxygenated blood gets there ever so more quickly and easily. Women also have naturally "higher" hearts than men, why, I don't know.

~Nate

Schnuggapup said:
USAF flight physiologist centrifuge study found the best suited physical make up to pull high Gs such as in an F-16 was a short female. The low CG just maked it all work out better.

r/
Goz
aka "Simon"

Dirty Underwear Gang

If you just want to fly planes and sit around and get fat, go fly for the airlines. Being a military officer should be for the elite, not just any joe fatty who may be able to fly. Part of being an officer is doing things that require discipline, dedication, and hard work... and surprise, they're not going to be easy. The Navy/Marine Corps aren't asking you to run any rediculous time... with a little training (and oh yes... hard work!) they're very attainable. Everyone seems to be all motivated ("oh keep trying... you can do it...") but then *****es when something may cause a bit of pain or is uncomfortable. Suck it up and run.
Additionally, there is a correlation between physical fitness and stamina required to do additional duties required of an offier. (ie standing watch all night, flying 16 hours then having to be OOD, not to mention all that mando fun time in the field you get if you're a Marine). If you're in better shape, your body can handle stresses better.
And finally, if you're so out of shape that you can't run a 9min mile, I really don't think you belong in a uniform.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
And finally, if you're so out of shape that you can't run a 9min mile, I really don't think you belong in a uniform.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder how many field grade, general grade, and SNCO's we would lose........

TargetInSight

I wonder how many field grade, general grade, and SNCO's we would lose........

Which makes me wonder... do they have treadmills on submarines? Or perhaps bicycles that are tied into the propeller for silent runs?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I ain't fat dumbass, I'm 5'3" and weigh 125 lbs. I can run for long periods of time (yesterday ran non stop for 45 min at about a 9:30 pace) I'm just slow. There is a difference.

And considering I'm just starting NROTC I have plenty of time to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.