• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How can I be competitive for EOD?

goald

Short answer is yes.

We are pretty strict with form. Push-ups are to 90 degrees and all the way up, back stays straight. Pullups are dead hang, you can keep moving, no need to pause, but elbows straight and chin over the bar and no kipping. Sit-ups touch the knee, not

Those averages from the recruiting brief are averages: some guys were better, some were worse, but all were around there. My Det just sent an enlisted guy off to prep, he was at all of those averages and still rolled for water competency.

Personally I contracted with an 8:30/90s/90s/18/8:45, at 165 BW. Having been in 9 years, I’m much stronger lifting now than I was, but I maintain a 9:30 swim and run, 80s for the push and sit, and 15+ pullups. But I concentrate on lifting and BJJ, I’m not trying to get into the community so I don’t train for the PST.

If your friend is working with SF, the Army doesn’t test pullups or swimming. I’ll bet those guys can run and ruck though.

If you have a limited athletic background, this can take years to get to. I was a triathlete, everything came pretty quickly except for pullups.
Are you planning to go EOD Officer? Those are great numbers.

My friend says even with special forces, she's only ever seen 1 guy do 100 consecutive pushups (she didnt mention the time). It was just surprising to me.

taxi1

pilot
Do Stew Smith’s 2 week Push-up and Pull-up Push 2 program.
As an FYI on the pushups, for a long period, in the morning I would roll out of bed and immediately drop and do 40-50 push-ups very first thing followed by holding some sort of yoga position I forget the name of. I was doing them for my fubar’d back (think of them as active planks) but it really did wonders for the pushup count.

JoeBob1788

My friend says even with special forces, she's only ever seen 1 guy do 100 consecutive pushups (she didnt mention the time). It was just surprising to me.

I will say that 100 always eluded me, my max was 94. I see guys do in the 90s regularly. It’s not that hard. Pretty much everyone can do 15+ pullups, and that’s not training for the PST. The NSW platoon I was on, 25 pullups was far more common than 15.

Special Forces (Green Berets) put a premium on running and rucking, not pullups and swimming. Plus your friend might be working with candidates, not qualified SF. They also have a high attrition rate

I am not currently planning on going EOD O, I’m actually applying for pilot. It’s a life long dream, and I love EOD but figured if I still stop and watch every plane that flies by, I’ll give that application a shot. Plus being EOD and then flying is pretty much my dream career, live all my childhood dreams. They are the two best jobs in the world as far as I can tell. My dad was a 30 year Tomcat RIO, but I read too many special ops books as a kid, so I was always torn.

Most EOD enlisted (that make it) get those scores. I’m not a stand out stud, although I am faster than most. Best run was a 8:11, which was still second place that PST. A lot of guys PST scores fall once you’re at a MU, because no one cares about it anymore. Lifting and sprinting are usually more popular. But working out everyday is expected, and if you don’t, your reputation will suffer.

Those averages aren’t made up. Last year literally the average candidate scored those. Work towards them. If they still seem impossible, well, perhaps it’s not the field for you.

Last edited:

JoeBob1788

As an FYI on the pushups, for a long period, in the morning I would roll out of bed and immediately drop and do 40-50 push-ups very first thing followed by holding some sort of yoga position I forget the name of. I was doing them for my fubar’d back (think of them as active planks) but it really did wonders for the pushup count.

That kind of daily mid-range push-up routine plus core work will definitely get you way further than you’d think. Consistency over time is the “secret”.

exNavyOffRec

We would see several (out of 20-30) hit that when I would observe the PST, same with situps, it was the run and swim that many had trouble getting less than 9 min. It was more important for the officer candidates to get closer to the maximums then the enlisted applicants.

I don't think I ever saw a person max pushups and situps and get swim and run under 9, it seemed if they were getting under 9 on run and/or swim they would get 90's on the pushups and situps.

The pullups seemed to be where candidates had the biggest issues.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
That kind of daily mid-range push-up routine plus core work will definitely get you way further than you’d think. Consistency over time is the “secret”.
You're 100% right about that. You'd be surprised what you can achieve in a few months of consistent daily workouts. Don't forget to exercise the supporting muscle groups and you'll increase you numbers a lot.

JoeBob1788

Nothing tests strength to weight like pull-ups.

Another aside, the most all-around fit guy I knew was a former pole vaulter (and then A6 BN). Both speed and upper body strength.

pole vaulters are insane. I knew a D-1 gymnast, absolutely unbelievable strength.

goald

Yeah you're right. I've started looking at some different pullup training programs since that's the one I'm going to have the most difficulty with. Excited to see how far I can go

JoeBob1788

You're 100% right about that. You'd be surprised what you can achieve in a few months of consistent daily workouts. Don't forget to exercise the supporting muscle groups and you'll increase you numbers a lot.
[
Yeah you're right. I've started looking at some different pullup training programs since that's the one I'm going to have the most difficulty with. Excited to see how far I can go

Do the Armstrong Pull-up Program until you get to 15. Then do the Stew Smith Pull-up push. Once you’re at a solid 15+, weighted pullups help a lot. But those two will get you there.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I did pyramid workouts for pushups and situps, in total I was doing 200 pushups and 300 situps in one "workout". You can make the pyramid as long or short as you want. Each "step" I would do Step # x 2 pushup and 3 situps and do 10 steps, 1 up to 10 then back to 1. That helped me go from 50-60 strict pushups to 85 in a few months as a 200lb old guy.

You can also use a random number generator to keep things interesting.