• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How can I be competitive for EOD?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For a long time OCS assessions had to qualify as a SWO first, but EOD was guaranteed once you got your pin. I wonder how well that was working when you select the dude on his PT scores and then he doesnt go to training for a couple years.

exNavyOffRec

Do you know if they heavily prefer STEM degrees? I think I have a pretty interesting resume, certifications, skills etc. Obviously I'm going to work on my PT as well, but if I don't get those kinds of numbers, do boards also consider other things to be important? Or PRT is the most important that will determine if you can get in?
All of the ones I saw picked up were non-STEM, but I can guarantee there were some STEM in the mix from other NRD's but it does come down to the physical test as one of the most important pieces of the puzzle.

exNavyOffRec

Does EOD take guys straight from a commissioning source these days? Back when I was looking at it 20yrd ago you had to go to a ship and get your SWO pin before you got into the EOD pipeline. Guy a few years ahead of me in NROTC went SWO-EOD and did a tour one some smaller ship...was either a sweep or a salvage ship, I can't remember.
It has flip flopped a few times both on sources and numbers.

JoeBob1788

It used to work like that for both officer and enlisted, but EOD became a career field and source rate in 2006. Now most all guys come straight in. We do have guys who switched rates to EOD and while I’m sure there are fleet Os who went EOD I’ve only met academy, ROTC, and prior enlisted EOD OCS officers.

It was probably sweep and salvage, NDs don’t have officers, EOD officers fill the dive officer billets for salvage units. And sweeps obviously have a lot of overlap with us.

While STEM and an interesting career might help, nothing will overcome poor PST scores. Having an interesting guy attrite doesn’t help the community much, and PST scores are by far the best indicator of making it through the training.

goald

It used to work like that for both officer and enlisted, but EOD became a career field and source rate in 2006. Now most all guys come straight in. We do have guys who switched rates to EOD and while I’m sure there are fleet Os who went EOD I’ve only met academy, ROTC, and prior enlisted EOD OCS officers.

It was probably sweep and salvage, NDs don’t have officers, EOD officers fill the dive officer billets for salvage units. And sweeps obviously have a lot of overlap with us.

While STEM and an interesting career might help, nothing will overcome poor PST scores. Having an interesting guy attrite doesn’t help the community much, and PST scores are by far the best indicator of making it through the training.
I know they don't always allow lat transfers so I would have to be lucky I guess. But are they receiving a lot of applications?
But if I just have a better PRT score than everyone else, I could theoretically make it right? I send in my packet with everyone else, and if my scores are high then I should be good to go?

I'm probably overthinking this, I'm going to call an OR this week to ask. But internet seems to be saying very hard to switch from SWO to EOD and it's not making me feel optimistic lol. I see online they accept maybe 1 or 2 people a year or something like that. Something I have to get cleared up with an OR ?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
PT may get you selected to enter the process, but you need to bring that A game every day. Not that I have much inside information, but it’s an incredibly tough and demanding community to join.

If you aren’t already listening to Jocko, start now.
Maybe losing the cry face emoji is a good step towards joining a part of the Navy that actually focuses on war fighting.
(Don’t tell that to the members of this site.)

Hair Warrior

Contributor
How much though? It's not like aviators spend a ton of time learning about aero to be able to fly.
They will teach you 100% of what you need to know. You don’t need any prior chemistry knowledge. But it certainly helps if you are ready to absorb and retain the learning.