• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How can I be competitive for EOD?

goald

I am a SWO, thinking about lat transferring to EOD. What should I know about making my packet competitive?

What kind of GPA, major, ASTB score, language skills, certifications, etc are they looking for?
And what kind of numbers should I be aiming for for

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shouldn't need the astb for a lateral transfer. I think EOD is going to be looking for super fit dudes, and a record of it.

JoeBob1788

You could always call the EOD OCM and ask. Competitive PST scores say a lot, it will usually be the first or second question asked. Sub 9 swim, 90+ push-ups, 90+ sit-ups, 20 pullups, and a sub 9 run are competitive. If you’re already in the fleet, you can’t control much more than your PST and your fitreps at this point; just get good scores and go for it. It’s a great time.
I had a lat transfer SWO in my class, showed up straight from a ship. He failed 3 parts of the PST and was gone in less than a day. Fitness isn’t everything but it is the first thing you’re tested on.

goald

You could always call the EOD OCM and ask. Competitive PST scores say a lot, it will usually be the first or second question asked. Sub 9 swim, 90+ push-ups, 90+ sit-ups, 20 pullups, and a sub 9 run are competitive. If you’re already in the fleet, you can’t control much more than your PST and your fitreps at this point; just get good scores and go for it. It’s a great time.
I had a lat transfer SWO in my class, showed up straight from a ship. He failed 3 parts of the PST and was gone in less than a day. Fitness isn’t everything but it is the first thing you’re tested on.
How common is it for people to get those scores? Do all the people who make it have scores around that range?

JoeBob1788

How common is it for people to get those scores? Do all the people who make it have scores around that range?
The minimums are completely unacceptable, and are the main reason we have an 85% attrition rate. The attrition rate is much lower for O’s, because you won’t be accepted without stellar scores.
Most of your scores should be in line with what I posted previously. If one or two of your events fell closer to sub 10 swim, 70-80 push-ups, 70-80 sit-ups, 15 pullups, and a sub 10 run, you’d probably be fine, but most should be closer to the stellar range. Could you get accepted with lower scores? Maybe, but there aren’t a lot of spots. And getting accepted isn’t the same as making it… reference the lat transfer I mentioned, as well as the 85% overall fail rate. With stellar scores, the pass rate is much more favorable. The community doesn’t pick up many lat transfers per year, so why pick one with less than stellar scores and have him fail dive school?
We had one guy, enlisted swine like me, who played collegiate rugby while getting his masters. He was 215 with a six pack, was a great sprinter but ran 10:15 and could do 14 pullups. Big strong guy, and he got a lot of negative attention for his slow(er) runs. He was fine because he was clearly in good shape with a good attitude. But if you’re lacking in a physical fitness area, you’d better be making up for it elsewhere. It’s a physical job full of hard chargers and you don’t want to be the weak guy as the O. But if you’ve got it, it’s also one of the absolutely best jobs in the navy. I’ve loved it, the people that make it are typically just awesome to work with, more than worth the PT and schooling price of admission.

goald

The minimums are completely unacceptable, and are the main reason we have an 85% attrition rate. The attrition rate is much lower for O’s, because you won’t be accepted without stellar scores.
Most of your scores should be in line with what I posted previously. If one or two of your events fell closer to sub 10 swim, 70-80 push-ups, 70-80 sit-ups, 15 pullups, and a sub 10 run, you’d probably be fine, but most should be closer to the stellar range. Could you get accepted with lower scores? Maybe, but there aren’t a lot of spots. And getting accepted isn’t the same as making it… reference the lat transfer I mentioned, as well as the 85% overall fail rate. With stellar scores, the pass rate is much more favorable. The community doesn’t pick up many lat transfers per year, so why pick one with less than stellar scores and have him fail dive school?
We had one guy, enlisted swine like me, who played collegiate rugby while getting his masters. He was 215 with a six pack, was a great sprinter but ran 10:15 and could do 14 pullups. Big strong guy, and he got a lot of negative attention for his slow(er) runs. He was fine because he was clearly in good shape with a good attitude. But if you’re lacking in a physical fitness area, you’d better be making up for it elsewhere. It’s a physical job full of hard chargers and you don’t want to be the weak guy as the O. But if you’ve got it, it’s also one of the absolutely best jobs in the navy. I’ve loved it, the people that make it are typically just awesome to work with, more than worth the PT and schooling price of admission.
Thanks for the response. Do you happen to know age limit for officers? Is it 42?
This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently, I work out a lot but seeing the numbers you gave, I'm definitely going to have to push myself to get those scores.
I guess I could call the OCM, didn't know that was an option tbh. Idk when I might have the chance to apply, but if there's anything I can do for my packet I guess now's the time to start

JoeBob1788

Thanks for the response. Do you happen to know age limit for officers? Is it 42?
This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently, I work out a lot but seeing the numbers you gave, I'm definitely going to have to push myself to get those scores.
I guess I could call the OCM, didn't know that was an option tbh. Idk when I might have the chance to apply, but if there's anything I can do for my packet I guess now's the time to start
The age limit is 42, but you’d need to go before you have too much time in service. The OCM could answer how much is too much.
That link has a few good resources, look at the recruiting brief. Here’s an excerpt… looks like run times are getting slower if that helps.

Attachments

• B1CDDCEF-D842-4A64-8600-82B44547E27E.png
    B1CDDCEF-D842-4A64-8600-82B44547E27E.png
    911.1 KB · Views: 38

goald

The age limit is 42, but you’d need to go before you have too much time in service. The OCM could answer how much is too much.
That link has a few good resources, look at the recruiting brief. Here’s an excerpt… looks like run times are getting slower if that helps.
Thanks for the help. Those numbers are a little intimidating tbh. I could probably hit the minimum scores lol but the averages are WAY higher than those. I guess first plan of action is to figure out the standards and rules for each event, and then start training from there. I don't even know if I'll even have the opportunity so that's frustrating. Guess I just wait and see lmao. Appreciate you

JoeBob1788

Thanks for the help. Those numbers are a little intimidating tbh. I could probably hit the minimum scores lol but the averages are WAY higher than those. I guess first plan of action is to figure out the standards and rules for each event, and then start training from there. I don't even know if I'll even have the opportunity so that's frustrating. Guess I just wait and see lmao. Appreciate you
The PST instruction is on that page. The numbers are high but achievable, and they serve as a great barometer. If you’re dedicated enough to achieve them, you’re most likely not wasting anyone’s time and you’ll be taken seriously if nothing else. Good ol Stew Smith programs work well, and the Armstrong Pull-up Program for pullups. Worst case you max out a PRT or two while you chase it haha.
EOD is worth the work, it’s still the Navy’s best kept secret. Exceptional co-workers and a varied and often exciting day job, and it’s a physically challenging job which beats the heck out of a desk. If there’s any info you need that you can’t find, hit me up. These forums have helped me a lot.

exNavyOffRec

EOD is very competitive and the ones I saw picked up for OCS that were civilians were getting sub 9's on the run and swim, 100+ pushups and situps, but the pull ups were often in the high teens.

comparing NROTC, USNA, OCS and lat transfer comparison is not apples to apples, but it is close.

I would echo calling the OCM but you need to be close to the scores @JoeBob1788 said to really be considered.

goald

The PST instruction is on that page. The numbers are high but achievable, and they serve as a great barometer. If you’re dedicated enough to achieve them, you’re most likely not wasting anyone’s time and you’ll be taken seriously if nothing else. Good ol Stew Smith programs work well, and the Armstrong Pull-up Program for pullups. Worst case you max out a PRT or two while you chase it haha.
EOD is worth the work, it’s still the Navy’s best kept secret. Exceptional co-workers and a varied and often exciting day job, and it’s a physically challenging job which beats the heck out of a desk. If there’s any info you need that you can’t find, hit me up. These forums have helped me a lot.
Thanks man, I might come back to this thread and post questions every now and then, hope you'll be around

goald

EOD is very competitive and the ones I saw picked up for OCS that were civilians were getting sub 9's on the run and swim, 100+ pushups and situps, but the pull ups were often in the high teens.

comparing NROTC, USNA, OCS and lat transfer comparison is not apples to apples, but it is close.

I would echo calling the OCM but you need to be close to the scores @JoeBob1788 said to really be considered.
Do you know if they heavily prefer STEM degrees? I think I have a pretty interesting resume, certifications, skills etc. Obviously I'm going to work on my PT as well, but if I don't get those kinds of numbers, do boards also consider other things to be important? Or PRT is the most important that will determine if you can get in?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Does EOD take guys straight from a commissioning source these days? Back when I was looking at it 20yrd ago you had to go to a ship and get your SWO pin before you got into the EOD pipeline. Guy a few years ahead of me in NROTC went SWO-EOD and did a tour one some smaller ship...was either a sweep or a salvage ship, I can't remember.