• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

high schoolers are stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

devl505

LTJG
pilot
This question might make me one of the stupid ones, but how do you have higher than a 4.0 gpa? I know the Navy switched to the 5.0 system, but I wasn't aware that High Schools had made the switch.

rahall79

Devl--
I know in my high school if you took "Advance Placement" or "International Bacculaterate" classes, your GPA for those classes was on a 5.0 scale. They are classes that you get college credit for in high school.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What rahall79 said. It gets adjusted when applying to the college world.

Luck

Yea, she was in AP classes which are on a 5.0 scale. You can't take all AP so it's not possible to have a 5.0 GPA but you can have up to a 4.25 or somthing with straight A's and as many AP classes as possible.

FSUMIDN

P-3 TACCO
In my high school, Honors classes also added .025 to your average per course taken. Only a little but over four yeas it adds up.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's some help with your English Paper <http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail64.html>

:)
ea6bflyr

A girl with a 4.06 didn't know the difference between the Civil and Revolutionary Wars?!? Jesus Christ what school do you go to!?!? Is she in the 'decelerated' classes except for honors PE or something? I find that really hard to believe.

I mean, I go to a normal Arizona high school and we tore some kid apart for saying 'isn't the U.S. in NATO?' But he wasn't passing the class. Now that I think of it, we were playing 'History Jeopardy' before the final and some kid who just transferred in thought Stalin was the President of the US during WWII. Hehe. That was a bloodbath, and our teacher was so shocked she didn't stop us from ripping on him for a good five minutes.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
American_Ace said:
A girl with a 4.06 didn't know the difference between the Civil and Revolutionary Wars?!? Jesus Christ what school do you go to!?!? Is she in the 'decelerated' classes except for honors PE or something? I find that really hard to believe.

I mean, I go to a normal Arizona high school and we tore some kid apart for saying 'isn't the U.S. in NATO?' But he wasn't passing the class. Now that I think of it, we were playing 'History Jeopardy' before the final and some kid who just transferred in thought Stalin was the President of the US during WWII. Hehe. That was a bloodbath, and our teacher was so shocked she didn't stop us from ripping on him for a good five minutes.

Unless I've lost my mind...the US is in NATO...

That's pretty bad about the Stalin thing though.

UncleFester

Hummer NFO To Be Reckoned With
Oh, man, those papers were awesome. I had more than a few "What is this?" comments on my papers in HS.
Why are American students idiots? That's what happens when you have coaches teaching classes.
There's a difference between being stupid and ignorant. Stupid people have a place in God's universe - as long as you're working to meet your potential, I have no beef with you. But ignorance is encouraged and rewarded by the American system. When grades are based on self-esteem instead of demonstrated mastery of the material, and once-serious universities offer "leisure studies" degrees, is it any wonder that ignorance thrives?

rare21

pilot
Contributor
in my hometown the school board has decided that students will no longer be able to get a zero in their class. even if they dont show up one time for class they still get a 50 for the class. they decided that a 0 will be bad for their self esteem. now the city is up in arms as are my parents who are teachers and now have to deal with crap.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My old high school recently decided that GPAs wouldn't be computed. I also think they're getting rid of Valedictorian and class ranking. They're setting these kids up for utter failure in the real world. Self esteem is EARNED, not GIVEN. And so the downward spiral steepens.

Hmm, that sucks royally. At this rate France will conqer us all.

F***ing self esteem BS. Personally, I always respond better to negative reinforcement, so I guess I'm biased, but I wish some of those kids would grow some balls or they're gonna get uber-F-ed by kids who know how to compete.

I guess I shouldn't complain... Less competition for me in the real world, right?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
American_Ace said:
I guess I shouldn't complain... Less competition for me in the real world, right?

That's bad, same idea behind why monopoly is bad. It's going to transform us into a nation of mediocrity and selfishness... if we're not there already.

Status
Not open for further replies.