• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help on Selection Choices

Pags

N/A
pilot
Before I got my transition I tried to do just that, as I knew the Jet VTs were undermanned, took P3 clowns, and I'm farking competent.

I've heard of it happening in the past. Don't know if they do it these days...any luck with your attempt?

MasterBates

I was told "not possible, Jet VTs won't take a helo guy as an IP" by the detailer. However, my signature may be more appropriate than normal for this..

MasterBates

I tried that avenue. Ended up getting picked up for a transition instead.

One way or another, the Tailhook CQ will be MINE!

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
It means the E-6 has 4 jet engines, hence it's a jet. Last I looked the P-3 was a turboprop. I don't consider either of them similar in operation

Then you slept through API. What's so different? It's not like the P-3 has a variable speed prop and condition levers...

Lots of talk, no answers.:sleep_125

FLY_USMC

pilot
It has props, nough said. Do people refer to the T-34 as a jet? I'm not arguing or spouting, I'm just saying......and yes....I did sleep through API. Minus the part when they told the Navy guys not to pick P-3s.:)

Rg9

pilot
...It is a jet, and we fly a lot faster in all phases of flight than the P-3...
I'm sure navigating the jet airways is a whole lot tougher when you're going twice as fast. I mean, your GPS has to work QUICK to keep you on profile!:eek:

I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet 200FT flying is a lot harder than FL200 flying.

FLY_USMC said:
It has props, nough said. Do people refer to the T-34 as a jet? I'm not arguing or spouting, I'm just saying......and yes....I did sleep through API. Minus the part when they told the Navy guys not to pick P-3s.:)
Who cares what they call it. You fly a turbofan, not a jet, anyway.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Holy thread revival Batman!! Still being on the defensive, I flew a "JET" in Primary thank you very much, so that gives me enough experience to speak on the subject:)

Rg9

pilot
Yeah, sorry... mixed up my months and thought it was the 14th... We'll just have to agree that we all fly "turbos". :D

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I'm sure navigating the jet airways is a whole lot tougher when you're going twice as fast. I mean, your GPS has to work QUICK to keep you on profile!:eek:

I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet 200FT flying is a lot harder than FL200 flying.

Who cares what they call it. You fly a turbofan, not a jet, anyway.

I would argue with you about how much cooler the E-6 is than the P-3, but it would be like two fat kids arguing over who's Sith Lord costume is cooler...it just doesn't matter.

Don't hate, bruddah! I am flying a prop right now and loving every minute of it. I am not going to argue the merits of flying the E-6. It is kind of like the war pig...beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Rg9

pilot
... but it would be like two fat kids arguing over who's Sith Lord costume is cooler...
Dude, I totally have my hand crafted double-ended blade lightsaber with extra force powers...

No hate, man. Not saying your aircraft's easy to fly. Just responding to the assumption that one large multiengine aircraft makes a better T-45 pilot than another.

Raptor2216

Hey now, it's an honest question.:D I am generally curious since it does seem like quite a difference, especially since P-3 guys don't land on carriers and CQs are a fairly important part of the syllabus. There really are a lot of opportunities in the navy that you don't realize it seems like. When does someone get assigned a detailer?

Its your lucky day because I was having a conversation with a P3 IP here in Meridian just last week about this sort of thing. He had to complete about half of the student syllabus and he just began instructing about a month ago. For now, he can only do FAM's, BI's and RI's but as time goes, he said he'll be able to get more quals.

As far as assignment goes, he said he just got lucky. He did a couple of tours in P3 land and I believe he was out there for about 3-4 years. He said it was the worst 4 years of his life. Anyway, when time came for orders, he simply asked his detailer if he could go T-45's and sure enough, they had something open for him. He doesn't want to go back to P3's after this but he'll be here for another 2 years. I hope this has answered some of your questions.