• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help on Selection Choices

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Man, our break in the TH-57 is more agressive than that....and we're only slowing by 30 KIAS!

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Meridian had two P3 guys that I knew about. T-Roy and the other one is escaping me right now. Vance isn't that bad, and OKC is a lot of fun.

How does a P-3 pilot make that kind of transition? It seems like a pretty radical platform change, especially becoming an instructor.

MasterBates

Same as SERGRADs. You train them. The ITU handles training for the new instructors.

I THINK that P3 guys have a different syllabus than a TACAIR guy coming back, but I am too lazy to go dig out my MCG.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
How does a P-3 pilot make that kind of transition? It seems like a pretty radical platform change, especially becoming an instructor.
What % of P-3 guys...........I see where you are going with this one.:D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about a helo bubba teaching you about critical engines, microwaves, and flight engineers? Or you teaching a helo bubba about an autorotation or hovering? Catch my drift?

Yeah, I hear they're lousy cooks and cooking in the microwave is a high art and prized skill that makes those oh so long missions tolerable.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Seriously though, what skills would an E-6 teach you that a P-3 wouldn't that will be useful in a T-45? Different airplanes is different airplanes no?

This is a serious question...anyone got anything? I've heard E-6 guys refer to themsleves as "jet guys", but honestly...P-3 to E-6 is a pretty similar platform (I would think)...certainly not like P-3 to -60B or something...what difference would it make?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
This is a serious question...anyone got anything? I've heard E-6 guys refer to themsleves as "jet guys", but honestly...P-3 to E-6 is a pretty similar platform (I would think)...certainly not like P-3 to -60B or something...what difference would it make?

I have never heard an E-6 guy refer to himself as a "jet guy" and anyone who does is a huge douche nozzle. Seriously. It is a jet, and we fly a lot faster in all phases of flight than the P-3, but they are very similar in many respects, and I don't think it would be difficult to transfer skills from one platform to another. They would just have to get used to thinking >300KTS, and we would have to get used to thinking at <300FT.
The E-6 guys that go to T-45s do so on a volunteer basis. Most guys don't want to move to Kingsville/Meridian, so volunteers are sometimes (not always) hard to find. The dudes that are there now are all good dudes.

MasterBates

I don't know much about E6 flying, but it is a jet. But as far as the flying I thought from the front end it was more of a "get to area, fly pattern as appropriate at altitude" thing. Of course, being what it is they probably do more stuff than that, but can't talk about it.

In flight refueling that hard?
(honest question, never done it, hopefully never will)

I'd wager I've done more 'tactical manuvering' in a helo than they do. So it can't be that. Granted compared to a P-3 they are probably moving along faster, but honestly the speed in the jet was the easiest thing to get used to for me.

The Copter TACAN 053 into Mayport is harder to fly than the HI-ILS/TACAN 13 at Krock. Save "The WIDOWMAKER" at Roswell and the HI-TACANs into Randolph, RI flying in the jet was cake.

My honest opinion coming down here (and being about 60% done before getting grounded) is that competent Helo bubbas (I.E. good sticks, not those who barely got winged and never got more than "OK" afterwards) can do as good of a job learning to fly and instruct in the jet.

For teaching jet stuff (opinion of a "winged SNA")
BI- I'd say its a draw
RI- Slight edge to the P3 as they use the Jet Routes at times. But it's not that hard for a helo bubba to learn it. Hell, I did real well in RIs.
FAM- I'd say advantage helos. Helo bubbas are more used to a "nimble" aircraft, but the jet landing pattern/ball flying is new to both. I'd say my helo experience helped me more there with power/wind corrections than my time in prop advanced.
FORM- I'd say advantage helos. Never seen P3's do form tactically. Helos do, depending on community.
CQ/FCLP- I'd say a draw but leaning helos. It's a totally different animal, but the helo dude at least knows what a boat is.

ACM/WEPS are a draw. Neither has done anything close, save maybe LSF in helos. And that's really stretching it.

I feel a GOOD helo bubba could teach jets just as well as a P3I. Before I got my transition I tried to do just that, as I knew the Jet VTs were undermanned, took P3 clowns, and I'm farking competent.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I don't know much about E6 flying, but it is a jet. But as far as the flying I thought from the front end it was more of a "get to area, fly pattern as appropriate at altitude" thing. Of course, being what it is they probably do more stuff than that, but can't talk about it.

In flight refueling that hard?
(honest question, never done it, hopefully never will)

...more words about how helo guys can do it too...

The autopilot does 98% of the flying in the E-6, which frees up brain cells to do other valuable tasks. There isn't anything too super secret about what we do on a day to day basis, it is just too boring to talk about.

A/R is pretty tricky. There have been more than a few Hornet and S-3 transition guys who have had extra rides to get out of the syllabus because they couldn't A/R in the E-6. It isn't THAT hard, just takes some getting used to.
Landing in a stiff crosswind is IMO the hardest thing about the E-6, but there are other threads devoted to that. There have been a rash of recent events that have shown what happens when a string of double anchor commodores let pilot training fall to shit in order to save a few landings on the airframe.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
What % of P-3 guys...........I see where you are going with this one.:D

Hey now, it's an honest question.:D I am generally curious since it does seem like quite a difference, especially since P-3 guys don't land on carriers and CQs are a fairly important part of the syllabus. There really are a lot of opportunities in the navy that you don't realize it seems like. When does someone get assigned a detailer?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
How about a helo bubba teaching you about critical engines, microwaves, and flight engineers? Or you teaching a helo bubba about an autorotation or hovering? Catch my drift?

I must have glossed over this one earlier...

WTF, man, why can't helo guys teach engines??? Last I checked, we use jet engines also. A turboshaft isn't a helluva lot different than a turbofan conceptually. I'm also fairly certain that helo guys fly with enlisted flight crewman....i.e. crew chiefs, so what's your point?

As for microwaves...who gives a shit?