• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

helos

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
-84 is becoming less and less a reserve squadron...will probably look more like HM...

It's not the only one, at least on deployments, but not to the same level as -84, for sure.

but don't count on going there on your first tour.

Exactly. That was why I put the caveat in there.

1rotorhead

pilot
Navy helos

I would never presume to say that navy helos provide the same kind of support USMC helos do. Two different services, different aircraft, etc. Marines do a great job at what they do, navy helos do a great job at what they do. I've done a lot of time in the desert and a lot of time on the boat. All of the missions navy helos do are important. Try taking the admiral's 60s from him and see what he says. just because you're not getting shot at doesn't mean you don't matter.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Marines vs Navy.....
I got some photo hops in an SH-3 with HS-84 when they were doing a 2-week AcDuTra on board Nimitz in 1990. There were several former Marine aviators in the squadron. When questioned about the differences, one of them said that flying in the Marines was like being in a rodeo, while the ASW game was more like a chess match.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I would never presume to say that navy helos provide the same kind of support USMC helos do. Two different services, different aircraft, etc. Marines do a great job at what they do, navy helos do a great job at what they do. I've done a lot of time in the desert and a lot of time on the boat. All of the missions navy helos do are important. Try taking the admiral's 60s from him and see what he says. just because you're not getting shot at doesn't mean you don't matter.

Another very vague answer to a question I've asked several times of you guys. I didn't say the mission wasn't important, but the OP made this comment:

You'd think they would get mad respect for supporting our ground troops the way they do!

With the exception of -84 and the various HS dets (although both are more specialized missions), generally Navy helos are not really supporting "ground troops" except for moving bodies and doing a medevac role.

Do all the communities support GWOT, both in and out of theater? You bet, all I was trying to do is educate the OP that the Navy mission isn't "supporting ground troops" in the sense that you see the Marines and the Army doing on the news.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
...just because you're not getting shot at doesn't mean you don't matter.

My word, where do I start on this one? Ok, we do matter (did in my case) but we're honestly like the foundation guy in a showcase parade dream house. What we do matters but no one cares when they're looking at the slate floors, African rosewood cabinets, saltwater pool, inlaid Italian glass, etc.

No one gives a hoot about us. Period. I was with CONSTELLATION for FLEETEX '9X and we did the Orange versus Blue war thing. The KITTY started to launch an unfragged (not on the ATO) package of Hornets, Tomcats, etc that were NEVER on any flight schedule. The Admiral tells us that suddenly our cruiser is destroyer plan guard (I'm sure as a punitive gesture for having smacked them). We have 1+00 for gas till we hit 600 lbs (SOP on deck mins).

We have a fragged flight quarter and recovery time in 30 mins. Red Crown won't let us close mother, and Boss won't let us in the airspace to recover. 50 mins later they still tell us not to close mother... Boss said they're trying to recover a Hornet that's already boltered and doesn't have fuel to shore bingo. We tell them we don't have fuel to WAIT. All I get in reply is, "Standby". We ask no less than three more times with the same reply. Remember now, we had the common decency to frag our flights on the ATO, the "losing" carrier just decides to have a fly day just because, and now it's my problem.

By now we're chatting up a storm on Hawk Link and deciding what to do. The Captain of the ship right out asks me, " MD ...what do you want to do?"

I told him to give me a green deck and I'm landing in 10 mins. I bustered for Mom and recovered. We never did hear anything on our level for landing inside the carrier's "space" w/o clnc.

But, bottom line. We were less important as four men and a helo than one pilot in a Hornet who couldn't land.:icon_rage

MasterBates

I often hit that problem working with the CV, check in, give redlight, but they apparently don't write it down anywhere.

And our own boat was really bad about understanding that helos have a finite gas supply and don't just float. Somnofabiches never wanted to turn SPY down, sector it aft or give green deck unless you basically told the LSO you were fuel critical.. Until the OPSO flew with us one day and asked "So is that 0+30 on gas when go declare an emergency?"

"No, its when we go swimming"

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
But you'll probably be better off than being in a community that spends so much time training for the last war (under the guise of training for the next war) that its all but left out of the current war.

Are you sure you aren't a TACAMO pilot? That is the E-6 community to a tee.

mb1k

pilot
None
Are you sure you aren't a TACAMO pilot? That is the E-6 community to a tee.

Yeah ...but you get to log mad glass 707 time, bask in the skill of air-to-air refueling between to whalacious-jurassic-jets weighing over 290,000 lbs + apiece while taking on 75,000 to 125,000 lbs of gas each onload, and finally ...you get to play around with your little 737s on your days off!:party_125

FWIW, it's a f'ing crime that the P-3 mafia doesn't let the E-6 guys instruct in T-44 and TC-12s in Corpus. You guys get any AETC tours to IP in the T-1?

mb1k

pilot
None
We had a couple E-6 guys at VT-31 when I was there. Like 1 or 2.

Between VT-31 and 35 (when I was an IP in NGP) they had ZERO. We were the refugee camp for the outcasts that were promised T-44s by the detailers, only to get here and have the commodore and martime skippers decide that they didn't fit into their empire building. Same with the USMC C-130 guys. A personal friend of mine was told by his monitor that he was going to 31, only to get derailed by "the wing" to one of the primary squadrons when he arrived. They were lucky (the Corps), because he didn't care. He was looking at NGP for location and was just as happy in the 34 as he would have been in the 44. A couple of guys just added that insult to their growing heap of resentment and eventually it all added up and they separated as well.

annie8080

certified college nerd
"This SNA had a huge NSS well above the 70 range, Commodore's List, etc..."

Sorry guys, noobie here... What is SNA, NSS, and OP stand for? :eek:

phrogpilot73

"This SNA had a huge NSS well above the 70 range, Commodore's List, etc..."

Sorry guys, noobie here... What is SNA, NSS, and OP stand for? :eek:
SNA = Student Naval Aviator
NSS = Navy Standard Score (your grades)
OP = Original Poster

I'm with MB - search and you shall find...

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
SEARCH!!!!!

Sorry, had to be said.
"Attention all onboard DeWert......Would the DCA and MPA please report to the XO in the CIC, ASAP"

SNA = Student Naval Aviator
NSS = Navy Standard Score (your grades)
OP = Original Poster

I'm with MB - search and you shall find...
I love the answer followed by instruction to search, Phrog, you would make a great English prof (as most that I had were tools and would have made me look up the answer on my own):D