• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

helos

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If it's the same one I'm thinking of, she anthro'd out for being too light for the seat and went KC-130s. Married to a Prowler guy?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Agreed. "Choppers" ...kinda a chick thing.....yeah.

That being said....I think I heard of one female Harrier pilot...she didn't last too long in the rag...and lat transferred...or so I heard.

No offense Killerphrog...you're my boy.

There are actually 2. The one you're talking about isn't one of them. Nothing against her (I've never met her), but just the anthro issues. From what I've heard there was nothing else wrong with her and she was doing fine.

One of them is a Major at TECOM and former East Coast WTI. The other is a West Coast Captain and married to a chopper guy.

I've floated with both of them.

There were a couple of others that didn't make it through the RAG. One of them now flies choppers.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the OP, I'd suggest you search this site for helo threads. There is a lot more than what has been posted in this thread. There are a lot of maritime/warfare missions helos work. Helos aren't for just for "chicks" or less capable aviators.

phrogpilot73

For the OP, I'd suggest you search this site for helo threads. There is a lot more than what has been posted in this thread. There are a lot of maritime/warfare missions helos work. 53's aren't for just for "chicks" or less capable aviators.
Sage advice. Like I said, you'll love what you fly no matter what. You'd be surprised at some of the missions that pop up for helo dudes/dudettes...

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Whether he will admit it or not, every Naval Aviator's decision to apply to the program was influenced by TG. The fundamental difference between helo guys and jet guys is that the helo guys were drawn by Kelly McGillis and Meg Ryan, whereas the jet guys came for the shirtless volleyball.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
True story. Some of you may even be old enough to remember it. We had one of our first female SNAs come up for selection after the restriction was lifted. This SNA had a huge NSS well above the 70 range, Commodore's List, etc... She even was featured in Navy Times because she was the first batch of SNAs able to select direct into fighters. She selected helos. By choice.

This caused quite a stir and buzz. Navy Times started to call and I'm sure was getting ready to write a piece on discrimination, etc. Basically it was enough of a red @$$ to have her summoned for a one-on-one with the Admiral. He wanted to make sure she wasn't being pressured to NOT go helos because of threats, negative vibes, etc. To our benefit she had nothing but nice things to say about IPs, supportive counseling, and the atmosphere in the VTs. But we could tell she was holding something back. After the Admiral and Chief of Staff left the room the two remaining guys asked her point blank, "What's the real reason"?

She looked over at both the 0-5s and asked what they flew. They were both helo guys in one way or another (I say that because while they were still flying one of them hadn't logged a helo hour since Vietnam and the other, well it's not important). She hemmed and hawed and finally said, "I don't want fly with a bunch of Neanderthals". She went on to explain that she had hung out a little bit with classmates that had selected jets, spent some time stashed in a VF squadron, and had enough experience to say that there was too much testosterone, posturing, and machismo involved with the jet world that she really didn't find appealing.

So. Just one "chick's" POV of going helos. She coulda selected anything she wanted...

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Whether he will admit it or not, every Naval Aviator's decision to apply to the program was influenced by TG. The fundamental difference between helo guys and jet guys is that the helo guys were drawn by Kelly McGillis and Meg Ryan, whereas the jet guys came for the shirtless volleyball.

And for those who applied before the summer of 1986? What influenced their decision? Hellcats of the Navy with Ronald Reagan? Oh wait, that movie was about submarines...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Navy helos do a more than ass and trash and medivac. Mostly depends on what helo you fly.

So what (non-reserve) helos are providing support on the level of the Marines? I ask not to get in an argument, but to learn. I didn't say no one does it, but if you're going to give me the standard HS "in the shit" line, I still say it pales in comparison to what the Marines do on a daily basis.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
So what (non-reserve) helos are providing support on the level of the Marines? I ask not to get in an argument, but to learn. I didn't say no one does it, but if you're going to give me the standard HS "in the shit" line, I still say it pales in comparison to what the Marines do on a daily basis.

Dude ...let the HS guys live their fantasy, it helps them sleep at night and feel like LAMPS guys :)

<ducking and running>

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
And if you look at the difference in lay out, missions, aircraft, etc. between now and just 15 years ago, and you can see that things change. (And that is not just a helo thing; it wasn't that long ago that claiming that a hornet would be giving gas to other people would have got you mocked mercilessly).

If you stay in a community for more than one tour it will change. Don't go in thinking "I want this and I want to do it for all 20+ years and I never want to do anything different," because it just won't happen that way.

(And if you go into HSC thinking you will be alternating between firing off hellfires and dropping snake eaters between the trees you are going to end up disappointed.)

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
(And if you go into HSC thinking you will be alternating between firing off hellfires and dropping snake eaters between the trees you are going to end up disappointed.)
But you'll probably be better off than being in a community that spends so much time training for the last war (under the guise of training for the next war) that its all but left out of the current war.