• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

helos

annie8080

certified college nerd
Hi everyone. So, I just took the ASTB and got a 57 6/6/6/. My recruiter told me it was a good score?? I have no idea. :confused:I am considering intelligence officer or helos. How competitive is helos and what kind of scores am I looking at to be competitve for the program? How much do ASTB scores play into BDCP? Thanks!

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Hi everyone. So, I just took the ASTB and got a 57 6/6/6/. My recruiter told me it was a good score?? I have no idea. :confused:I am considering intelligence officer or helos. How competitive is helos and what kind of scores am I looking at to be competitve for the program? How much do ASTB scores play into BDCP? Thanks!

OMG ...I can't (ROFLMAO)...

I'm going to let someone else answer the "...how competitive is helos" question.

Annie, welcome to the board! And a quick answer to your question is you'll have NO problem getting either if you ask for it!

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
How competitive is helos and what kind of scores am I looking at to be competitve for the program?
Put your index and middle fingers on your neck, do you feel a pulse? You do? Congrats! Your in!:D OK, now a helo guy has to make a jet joke to re-balance the Yin and the Yang.

mb1k

pilot
None
i think they are mocking me... someone quick tell me what i missed so i know how bad it is

Annie,

Getting helos in the Navy is as easy as breathing. Seriously. Everyone competes for Jets. Most people on this list and through flight school have nightmares about not getting Jets or Props and getting "needs of the Navy" assigned to Helos.

Very few people grow up wanting Helos. I can make fun because I was one of the rare ones and wanted to fly Helos (see my other posts for more on that story).

That's all. Not so much making fun of you, but it's just such an easy shot to be sarcastic when someone asks "how easy is it to get helos".

That being said. I've seen a few selection boards where people who wanted helos with high NSSs (read 60 plus) have been selected for jets when no one else in their week had tailhook NSS. So never say never.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
What you missed are 2 things. First, there is a "thing" between jet and helo guys. I won't really say more since I can't imagine a way to describe it in a non-baised way that wouldn't piss someone off. I will say this and allow you to draw the appropriate inferences: typically, the guys with the highest grades in flight school go jets, while those who perhaps spent a bit to much time having sex with their girlfriends when they should have been studying end up going helos. (says the now-wife of a helo bubba. ;))

Second, you don't really select helos in the the same way you select intel. You select aviation and after completing the first part of flight school, based on your grades, preferences, and the needs of the Navy that week, you select/are assigned to helos, jets, etc.

annie8080

certified college nerd
ooooo.... well I want in on jet competition then! ;) well, maybe. How many who apply for jets end up flying...say the C-130 or something like that instead of the F-18's or Harriers?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
i think they are mocking me... someone quick tell me what i missed so i know how bad it is
We were not mocking you, just friendly jesting and joking with the helo bubbas. The only requirement to select helos is to graduate primary flight training. There is a grade requirement to select "tailhook" (E2/C2 and jets). A lot of people go into flight school wanting to be a fighter guy for which there are limited slots. There are more slots for helos and if you want them you will most likely get them. The ensueing joke will probably have to do with jet guys coifed hair or their sunglasses.

mb1k

pilot
None
.. those who perhaps spent a bit to much time having sex with their girlfriends when they should have been studying end up going helos. (says the now-wife of a helo bubba. ;))

I may have to use that as my signature! Can I still be considered a helo guy though?:confused:

mb1k

pilot
None
No, like me you have been excommunicated. Deal with it.

Yeah ...I get the, "Let it go dude, you're not a Helo guy anymore" a lot at work.

When I finish the here I think the last vestiges of it will be totally stripped away :(

But can I still subscribe to NHA?

MasterBates

So did you pull some USN-USPS-USN double switch mb1k?

You flying 45s at TW1 2 or 6?

The little bastard is hard to land at first.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I may have to use that as my signature! Can I still be considered a helo guy though?:confused:

Too late. I have taken it.

On a side note: +1 to villanella... you are my new favorite person in the world.

Also, Why is it when my jet-buddies come to town, they want to hang out in a big sausage-swinging pack... and when I try and break a few of them off to meet some ladies, they refuse? Oh well.... more for me then.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Since I'm your new favorite person, I won't risk losing my status to point out that you've spelled my name wrong. ;) At least you credited your source, though. If Senator Obama has taught us anything, maybe it is that.