• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo or Jet/Tailhook, that is (my) question as Selection approaches

MiG15

pilot
None
Jets.....I have never met a jet pilot who says he wishes he would have gone helos.
Mission-tip of the spear
X-cntry oppurtunities-are ridiculous
Locations-standard/average Navy

Funny you say that. There is a Prowler pilot currently transitioning to Helos now. In HT-18.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Funny you say that. There is a Prowler pilot currently transitioning to Helos now. In HT-18.
Did he get selected by a board that he put a package in for?....some guys like to wear women's underwear, most don't....personally I would stick with the Prowler and would have gone Growler.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Currently you attend a board with a mix of jet/e2c2 IP's where they ask you stuff about your choice of platform/flight school/etc... and they make a recommendation to the skipper, he has the final say, at least that's how mine was recently.

Good to know. I get asked the question quite a bit but don't have an answer.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Did he get selected by a board that he put a package in for?....some guys like to wear women's underwear, most don't....personally I would stick with the Prowler and would have gone Growler.

"some guys like to wear women's underwear,"
There's probably a thread for that, in the "flying hook-up" section.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
You know, I think P-3s get a bad rap in primary. Hell, even through advanced people were still bitter or unhappy about them. It wasn't until I got to VP-30 that things really changed. We received a brief our first day of class that changed anyone's mind who was unhappy about where they were. For some reason, the things P-3s do doesn't get disseminated as well as it should and we collectively agreed that this brief should be shown to primary studs.

kool_aid.jpg

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Whatever you select, you are still a great American, the top 1% of the top 1% making sacrifices for yourself, family, country, and doing God's work.

Heloanjin

pilot
Jets.....I have never met a jet pilot who says he wishes he would have gone helos.
Mission-tip of the spear
X-cntry oppurtunities-are ridiculous
Locations-standard/average Navy

I never met a helo pilot who says he wishes he would have gone jets.

Reach down deep and think of what platform you think you will enjoy the most. And when you get there, work your ass off and thank God that you are getting paid to fly because there are millions who wish they could have your seat.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I never met a helo pilot who says he wishes he would have gone jets.

Seriously? I've met many, and several of them actually transitioned over later. Big deal.

Now, if all of the penis-measuring is over with.......

Think about the mission. What interests you more? Dropping bombs or doing ASW? CAS or SAR? BFM or VERTREP?

There are no "right" answers. Pick what interests you. If you don't get it, then learn to get interested in what you did get.

Just like I tell my kids: "You get what you get....and don't throw a fit"

Good luck.

phrogpilot73

Fuck the mission, fuck the platform, fuck the location.

Pick what you want based on the personalities of the individuals in the community. Who do you want to hang out with? I'd say as a nugget, you'll log 25-30 hours A MONTH flying. Guess what you're doing the rest of that time? Hanging out with the dudes in your community.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Just out of curiosity, do primary studs get any exposure on what the jet community might be like? When I went through we had zilch. If you go jets, prepare for a culture shock, but the payoff is awesome.

You will like what you get. My college roommate thought he'd kill himself if he got anything but Hornets. He's flying H-60 Sierras right now and loving it.

Bevo16

pilot
When I was going through primary, I eliminated P-3's because most of the P-3 IPs in the squadron were total douche bags. I know the whole community is not like that, I have a lot of good friends in that community. None of them were instructing at my primary squadron though. I did one cross country with a P-3 guy and he apologized for the other douche bags representing his community that were in our squadron and advised me to go helos.

One aspect that has not been mentioned is the length of the training pipeline. You are going to spend 2+ more years in flight school if you select jets than if you go helos. I was back from my first deployment before my buddies from primary who had selected jets even went to the boat to qualify. If you go jets, you are pretty much count on 10 full years in the Navy.

MasterBates

Fuck the mission, fuck the platform, fuck the location.

Pick what you want based on the personalities of the individuals in the community. Who do you want to hang out with? I'd say as a nugget, you'll log 25-30 hours A MONTH flying. Guess what you're doing the rest of that time? Hanging out with the dudes in your community.

This is good if you know a good spread of people in the community, but for some, orders to primary VTs are for the good dudes that just did not want to be a RAG IP, and for others it's where they send their misfit toys to wither on the vine.

Add in that there is ZERO Navy Tacair representation in most squadrons, and you MAY have a COD or E2 dude if you are lucky for any TH representation.

I know most P3 dudes aren't douches, but most of the IPs when I was a SNA were either douches, or bitter and hating on P3s due to losing at musical chairs.

Its another issue, but det type squadrons (HSC, HSL/M, VP) are not as promotion friendly as CV type squadrons due to the way manning works out. That leads to some genuine good dudes being left out in the cold even though they would be shoo in with a nother community. That lead to a lot of the bitter P3 dudes I saw when an SNA.