• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo or Jet/Tailhook, that is (my) question as Selection approaches

teamtornado1

Can not decide between Helo's and Jets/Tailhook. I will be selecting in the next few weeks and am really at a fork in the road. (I absolutely do not want P-3's) Any insight would be great.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Well, I think the choice is obvious.

But seriously, do you have any questions? What are your goals? Think about mission first, airframe second, and location a distant third.

teamtornado1

Here is the hold up: I feel like jets are at the top and that I have worked too hard thus far to pass up that opportunity. However, I think that I would really enjoy flying helos. The main turnoff to helos in the Navy is that a lot of people end up selecting helos by default, or they dont work as hard in primary because they know they will get helos. I dont like being associated with people who have that mentality, much less flying with them.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Here is the hold up: I feel like jets are at the top and that I have worked too hard thus far to pass up that opportunity. However, I think that I would really enjoy flying helos. The main turnoff to helos in the Navy is that a lot of people end up selecting helos by default, or they dont work as hard in primary because they know they will get helos. I dont like being associated with people who have that mentality, much less flying with them.

I don't know how accurate this statement is. Advanced is much different than primary. The intensity in the HTs is much higher than it is in Primary, everyone operates at a higher level. If you are worried about being with "slackers" (from what I took from your post), I wouldn't worry about it at all. Advanced is a new game, and everyone starts from square one. How one person did in primary has no bearing on how well they will do in Advanced. I know some people that struggled in Primary, then crushed the HTs.

I can assure you that everyone in Helos works at a high level....the IPs will give you a kick in the ass if you don't.

Oh, and helos are fun, our locations are better than anyone else's.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I feel like jets are at the top and that I have worked too hard thus far to pass up that opportunity.
Then put jets first.

However, I think that I would really enjoy flying helos.
Then put helos first.

I'm not trying to be flippant, but these are your competing priorities. No one here can tell you what is more important to you.... Passing up the opportunity of jets vs. thinking flying helos would be cool

The main turnoff to helos in the Navy is that a lot of people end up selecting helos by default, or they dont work as hard in primary because they know they will get helos. I dont like being associated with people who have that mentality, much less flying with them.
What mentality, exactly? People who are trying to game the system? If you haven't noticed, you find those people everywhere.

Or the mentaility of people who don't work as hard as they can? Once again, you'll find lazy shitbags in all aviation communities.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Jets.....I have never met a jet pilot who says he wishes he would have gone helos.
Mission-tip of the spear
X-cntry oppurtunities-are ridiculous
Locations-standard/average Navy

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
For me the decision comes down to having a crew. More of a Marine perspective here and I'm sure that it bleeds over to the Navy community; to me, the idea of having a motivated enlisted bubba back there monitoring systems and running weapons is a spectacular thing. I have talked to many aircrew guys and they have given me a unique perspective on aviation leadership. Not to downplay what the jet guys do at all - you gotta be on your game to do all that shit all by yourself.

Read a couple of approach articles diversified across all platforms, might help.

exhelodrvr

pilot

"I don't like being associated with people who have that mentality, much less flying with them. "

Unless things have changed dramatically since 81-82, that is a wildly inaccurate statement. Generally primary grades were determined by whether or not someone caught on quickly (which is not always an indication of how high their ceiling is), not by how hard they worked.

Which route is more likely to lead you to flying missions you will enjoy more? I would suggest that for your decision criteria.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
. The main turnoff to helos in the Navy is that a lot of people end up selecting helos by default, or they dont work as hard in primary because they know they will get helos. I dont like being associated with people who have that mentality, much less flying with them.

I know many people in advanced rotors that had a 60+ NSS in Primary. Not exactly what I would call the bottom of the barrel...

What Nozeman said is spot on and I couldn't have said it better.

It's a tough choice between the two as each have many positives and negatives. Whichever you choose (or whichever the Navy chooses for you) you will be happy and it will be the right choice in the end.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
I'm selecting next week and I came into primary thinking helos but I did better than I thought I would. I'm gonna put down TH then Helos. If I have the grades for TH and there are spots availiable, its pretty hard to say no. Like was said earlier, you don't hear many jet guys wishing they went helos.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Everyone in my selection group next week wants jets (15 of us) and I think the average NSS amongst them is 93.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
NSS amongst them is 93.

Looks like Ben's Gouge give out pretty favorable numbers nowadays:icon_smil

Lest we forget, NSS is based on standard deviation, with 50 being the middle. I think it'd be impossible to have the average of 15 people be at 93:eek:

willywonk

I have a question for yall.
Lets say there are 15 people in my primary class and I am serving with the Marine Corps. Are the other 14 people in my class Marines or is it a mix of both? If it is a mix, do I compete for slots with the other Marines in my class? So to clarify. 15 people in a class. 10 Navy, 5 Marines. Does the Marine Corps decide want slots they need to fill between the 5 of us or all we are in the same pool of 15?