• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo or Jet/Tailhook, that is (my) question as Selection approaches

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I'm selecting next week and I came into primary thinking helos but I did better than I thought I would.

Sounds more like you came in thinking you wouldn't get jet grades. For the OP, if you want jets, try for them, but remember, it is OK not to want jets.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I have a question for yall.
Lets say there are 15 people in my primary class and I am serving with the Marine Corps. Are the other 14 people in my class Marines or is it a mix of both? If it is a mix, do I compete for slots with the other Marines in my class? So to clarify. 15 people in a class. 10 Navy, 5 Marines. Does the Marine Corps decide want slots they need to fill between the 5 of us or all we are in the same pool of 15?
5. Navy is completely separate.
As for the OP, I was flip-flopping as well before selection. Bottom line is you have to do what you think is best. Just keep thinking about it and you'll make the right decision.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Tailhook = Jets.........and E2/C2 which is another hurdle. Not sure if it is chosen for you or chosen by you. Regardless, I'm biased and would say go for the tailhook.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
The main turnoff to helos in the Navy is that a lot of people end up selecting helos by default, or they dont work as hard in primary because they know they will get helos. I dont like being associated with people who have that mentality, much less flying with them.

You know, if you get your wings, you could always shit on the people who didn't. If you get a competitive EP at your first squadron, you can shit on guys who didn't. If you become an FRS instructor, you can shit on guys who didn't. If you make operational DH, you can shit on people who didn't. If you make operational CO, you can....

Oh wait, you haven't done anything yet, so try this instead: ask for what you want, be humble and appreciative for what you get, and try not to be a tool regardless of where you end up. (And don't be afraid to DOR if you end up associating with folks who obviously can't live up to your standards).

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Tailhook = Jets.........and E2/C2 which is another hurdle. Not sure if it is chosen for you or chosen by you. Regardless, I'm biased and would say go for the tailhook.

Currently you attend a board with a mix of jet/e2c2 IP's where they ask you stuff about your choice of platform/flight school/etc... and they make a recommendation to the skipper, he has the final say, at least that's how mine was recently.

MasterBates

Ah.. I only hope I can live up to the OPs standards. Oh wait, I'm one of those people who got helos "by default"....

I must really suck.
*looks at Top Hook award hanging on wall*

Yep. Him flying with me is beneath him.

I think E6 or P3 would be a good fit for him.

Pags

N/A
pilot
My mentality on platforms changed a lot over the years. Somewhere on here is a post from me saying I didn't think that flying vertrep would be very fun. In the end, I ended up going to the HSC community, by choice, because I figured that vertrep would be awesome. Unfortunately, vertrep is kind of a dying mission, but the chances I've had to do it have been awesome. And despite the lack of vertrep, I've still enjoyed my community. There are plenty of challenges in each community. I'm glad I ended up in the community I did, and wouldn't change it for any other community. All that being said, I still put jets first in primary. Because you only get one chance to select jets.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
You know, I think P-3s get a bad rap in primary. Hell, even through advanced people were still bitter or unhappy about them. It wasn't until I got to VP-30 that things really changed. We received a brief our first day of class that changed anyone's mind who was unhappy about where they were. For some reason, the things P-3s do doesn't get disseminated as well as it should and we collectively agreed that this brief should be shown to primary studs.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Here is the hold up: I feel like jets are at the top and that I have worked too hard thus far to pass up that opportunity. However, I think that I would really enjoy flying helos. The main turnoff to helos in the Navy is that a lot of people end up selecting helos by default, or they dont work as hard in primary because they know they will get helos. I dont like being associated with people who have that mentality, much less flying with them.

Hey Tornado...your wildly innaccurate statements are pretty much standard from your point of view right now. You think the douchebags get Helo's/P-3's and the top shit get jets and wipe their ass with the lousy FITREPS the rest of us will get.

Tell ya what, fuck you, lose the chip on yer shoulder, and enjoy jets/helo's/E-6's whatever the Navy tells you to go to (because the guys in my P-3 class had a 58, 56, 54.2 NSS and all got their 2nd choice).

There are douchebags in jets, just like helo's, just like P-3's. There are 72 NSS guys in P-3's/ Helo's and 50.3 NSS guys in Jets. Guess what? They ALL worked their ass of for the opportunity to fly.

Pick what you want to be doing for the rest of your career, and don't come bitching here when you don't get it...

Pickle :banghead_

BTW I picked P-3's first and put Jets 3rd...and I had Jet scores, just like all of the other Navy guys in my selecting week...I just like being able to stand up when I pee, like a real man...

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Jjjjuussttt not above 10k :icon_tong

No face leech for me! They didn't really fit my noze in the first place....I belong in helos:D

Echo what Pags said about the communities change. The mentality in the HSC world (the one we can speak to) is definitely changing. It's a fun time to be here, not that I can vouch for the past.

You better decide soon....you wont be able to select HS much longer!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Ah.. I only hope I can live up to the OPs standards. Oh wait, I'm one of those people who got helos "by default"....

I must really suck.
*looks at Top Hook award hanging on wall*

Yep. Him flying with me is beneath him.

I think E6 or P3 would be a good fit for him.

Was it "Top Hook" or "Top Hooker"?

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
^ I have that lamp! Using it right now. Bought it at the Christmas Story House in Cleveland