• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hawkeyes!

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
We can't all move at 12 knots like SWOs so you know...But I can speak from everyone in my squadron...we would like to see that probe go away quickly. As for the D model, from a NFO perspective, it's going to be really awesome. We'll get brand new everything. Now, if only they could give us better cushions on the seats..

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We can't all move at 12 knots like SWOs so you know...
Which has what to do with this thread? Oh yea, nothing.

Now, if only they could give us better cushions on the seats..
Cause it must really suck to have to sit down for an entire "watch" right? If you have to sit down, might as well be comfortable. Poor babies, I really feel for you guys.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For a guy that usually shows some class I kinda would expect a smiley on the end of that line Steve.
What, no love from the FO's? Oh come on. One day I pick on pilots, the other day I pick on FO's. Today is your day. Be proud....embrace it.

Here's a redo. I don't like seeing grown men cry.

Steve Wilkins said:
Hope they order these along with their mod. I think the top one was especially made for the NFO's.
:D

Better?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
What, no love from the FO's? Oh come on. One day I pick on pilots, the other day I pick on FO's. Today is your day. Be proud....embrace it.

Better?

Fair enough.... I'm not into the cheap shots myself, of course with shoes it's so damn friggin easy ;)

Damn, sorry about that! chalk it up to watching that A-hole T.O. play for Dallas

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Cause it must really suck to have to sit down for an entire "watch" right? If you have to sit down, might as well be comfortable. Poor babies, I really feel for you guys.

Actually, it does. Like sitting on a cinder block for 5.5. A lot of us have those small REI roll-up stadium seat cushions for some kind of insulation from the seat, otherwise your back hurts like hell whan you finally climb out.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47784126&parent_category_rn=40004200&vcat=REI_SEARCH

697814.jpg

MasterBates

Being strapped in and immobile for hours is worse than a 4 hour OOD/JOOD stint, from the back/arse pain aspect.

Other than that, if I am up at 0230 I better be drunk, or flying...

Whatever the 0200-0600 watch is nicknamed, it SUCKED.

We had no helo the last 3 weeks of my last cruise, so the Captain made the JO pilots stand watches to give the shoes some rest. Bad for us, but he was trying to get a "crew rest" and "crew day" thing rolling for the JO SWO's.

Some of the pilots had been talking to the SWO DHs (all LTs), and we guessed that the SWOlings would get more quality work done, if they had a SCHEDULED 4 hour "no interrupt short of GQ" sleep period, and another 4 hours dispersed as able (tried to get 8-straight, but with quarters, watches and OPS/INTEL, it was not always possible).

From what I saw, the DH's were impressed with less errors, better work, and far better morale. Not to mention, less tired people on watch was better for avioding near misses.

Lawman

None
Anybody know if there have been any studies made on chiro/spinal conditions for people that do spend 4+ hours in seat on a regular basis. Seems like all those complaints of back and lumbar pain would be of interest to the flight docs.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, studies have been done, one of our former flight docs wrote a few articles about helicopter seats and back pain

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Being strapped in and immobile for hours is worse than a 4 hour OOD/JOOD stint, from the back/arse pain aspect.

Other than that, if I am up at 0230 I better be drunk, or flying...

Whatever the 0200-0600 watch is nicknamed, it SUCKED.

We had no helo the last 3 weeks of my last cruise, so the Captain made the JO pilots stand watches to give the shoes some rest. Bad for us, but he was trying to get a "crew rest" and "crew day" thing rolling for the JO SWO's.

Some of the pilots had been talking to the SWO DHs (all LTs), and we guessed that the SWOlings would get more quality work done, if they had a SCHEDULED 4 hour "no interrupt short of GQ" sleep period, and another 4 hours dispersed as able (tried to get 8-straight, but with quarters, watches and OPS/INTEL, it was not always possible).

From what I saw, the DH's were impressed with less errors, better work, and far better morale. Not to mention, less tired people on watch was better for avioding near misses.
That's really interesting.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes, studies have been done, one of our former flight docs wrote a few articles about helicopter seats and back pain

I've mentioned this before, but here it is again...this topic is also always on the different communities top 10 OAG issues. Whether or not it makes it to NavAir's master list, I don't know.

Steve, I respect the requirements and demands of a SWO. I think it's absolutely retarded the way the community does things, as a whole, when it comes to rested bridge/watch crews. But calling people aviators babies for having to sit on a hard metal/ballisticlly tolerant seat for 3, 4, 5, 8+ hours is a bit much, even if it wasn't totally serious.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, it does. Like sitting on a cinder block for 5.5. A lot of us have those small REI roll-up stadium seat cushions for some kind of insulation from the seat, otherwise your back hurts like hell whan you finally climb out.

697814.jpg

5.5??!! That is nothing, try 10.4 in a Prowler. At least in an E-2 you can get up if you really need to, I was ready to climb the walls after hour 8.....OF course, nothing can beat the guy sitting next to me in the back who went that entire time without going to the bathroom......at all....:eek:

As for the refuelling probe, welcome to the club.......:D

hn-tank3.jpg