• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hawkeyes!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
kmac said:
Ok I laugh at your jokes, but seriously guys, you're starting to sound like a bunch of pocket-protector toting, bandaged-glasses wearing nerds. Harrr heee heheeee harrrr..... check out the NAV display...harrr hee hee haarrr... go to... GO to... GO TO! HEeeeehhhh

And let's face it, nothing much beats a good "Hey aft, we're pulling up on our lead...they think they have a crack in the window...do you see anything?"
WTF do you know about hijinks, nugget?

BTW, I got another good Iraq story for you...

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We flew our CODs at night on a cruise. I can't remember if it was the Stennis or Vinson cruise though, but was a number of years ago...(damn old age memory loss) They flew pax during the day and being night qualled were able to take a cat later in the day and not worry about sunset, etc. They stayed night current with at least one trap every 7 days like everyone else. They only carried cargo/pony at night. Sure helped with the logistics support.

The pilots didn't ***** about it at all. Just did their job like everyone else.

We also gave them missions like SSC to perform when they weren't in a position to fly on/off.

r/
G

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Ok, even though Bunk was in the Providers at the time I know a lot of the guys that were part of that time era. I have to disagree with the fact that didn't give a damn about flying at night. The reasons are numerous, partly eating into their drinking time but more or less the fact as Bunk mentioned in an earlier post about the additional number of traps (currency) on an airframe that they have been trying to preserve over the years.

I would also have to say that the logistic support has nothing to do when the COD/H53 can bring it aboard. Day or night is not usually the biggest problem, but rather when it arrives at the nearest logistic hub and how quickly the beach-det supply can turn it around. I just so happened that we had an awesome beach-det on both of my cruises that could breakdown the incoming pallets and have it ready for the first launch or definitely second launch of the day to get it to the Boat as efficiently as possible. Now you tell me that it would be more efficient to wait the extra hours to get the night trap for currency issues. I disagree.

Obviously it matters on the scheduling with the logistic boys but I would also like to add something else to the mix. If the part is that important; in other words we are going to launch a mission that is of the utmost importance, then the stars on board could use the magic words of "Operational Necessity" and alleviate any need for night currency. Save the hours and additional landings and use that term when it would be really needed. Would that happen, NO, but then again night traps for the COD are not needed either.

my .03

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
By the way Schnuggapup, how is the Warbler, Senor Pacos, Fiddlers Green, Sherlock Holmes and especially the Tree of Life doing these days?

Not to mention who lives above the Sherlock :D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Schnuggapup said:
We flew our CODs at night on a cruise. I can't remember if it was the Stennis or Vinson cruise though, but was a number of years ago...(damn old age memory loss) They flew pax during the day and being night qualled were able to take a cat later in the day and not worry about sunset, etc. They stayed night current with at least one trap every 7 days like everyone else. They only carried cargo/pony at night. Sure helped with the logistics support.

The pilots didn't ***** about it at all. Just did their job like everyone else.

We also gave them missions like SSC to perform when they weren't in a position to fly on/off.

r/
G

We flew nights from 97-2000 with DET-5 continuing to fly nights until 02 I believe. I flew nights during my 99 WESTPAC with the Connie. We were aboard the entire cruise, flying nights, SSC, etc. Of my three cruises, that one I enjoyed the most.......best ports, most flying, most challenging, etc.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Damn...all these great COD stories have me wanting to go C-2s...and I'm a SNFO! No cool stuff like slewing the bug over the wingtip or whatever nerdy crap you were talking about (my friend, my friend...I keed) for me, though...I've selected into CVW for intermediate.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Yea, maybe but do the numbers. Of all Naval aviation there is only two squadrons with a fluid number of about 25 JO's in the fleet at one time. If you don't win the lottery and get E-2s instead, well it's not the same that's all I will say.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I was looking at this picture at navy.mil and saw this E2. Is that hatch open below the radar dome? I was wondering what the deal was with this.

edit: ever heard of the attach function, retard... again, STOP posting frame breaking graphics. use a host site or the tools provided to you by this site.

Attachments

• 051019-N-7263H-005.jpg
    051019-N-7263H-005.jpg
    795.7 KB · Views: 110

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
I was looking at this picture at navy.mil and saw this E2. Is that hatch open below the radar dome? I was wondering what the deal was with this.

Yes, launch and land onboard the ship w/ the CIC hatch pulled and stowed. If we launch/land and end up in the water, having the hatch out makes egress faster for the 3 guys in back. Has no effect on flight performance as far as the front end goes.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, launch and land onboard the ship w/ the CIC hatch pulled and stowed. If we launch/land and end up in the water, having the hatch out makes egress faster for the 3 guys in back. Has no effect on flight performance as far as the front end goes.
I'll bet that really kicks ass for those cold, rainy winter launches.

Brett