• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hawkeyes!

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The COD used to launch with a ditching hatch removed, but then someone figured out that passengers freak out more when they can see outside of the plane. Not like it matters, can you imagine 26 people trying to file out of 2 holes, requiring them stand on the seats to reach, all while filling with water? (I figure the 2 aircrewman know what's up, they've got a better shot).

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
I'll bet that really kicks ass for those cold, rainy winter launches.

Brett
The dome's overhead, so we usually don't get rain in the back. Push comes to shove we don't pull the hatch until just before doing into tension. At that point when the throttles go forward, there's enough propwash to keep any rain/water out. Same goes for recovery. Beats drowning any day regardless. :D

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Curious, but do you guys (E/C-2 bubbas) have HEEDS bottles in the even you need to ditch (or just don't make it off or back on the carrier) and emergency egress?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Curious, but do you guys (E/C-2 bubbas) have HEEDS bottles in the even you need to ditch (or just don't make it off or back on the carrier) and emergency egress?

Yup, we have them. The shallow water training for it at swim phys is a blast too. (Mucho sarcasm intended).

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok....now, do pax get them too? :D :D

Nope, it's survival of the fittest at that point. :eek:

I am thinking that they don't get them because they do not have the training to use it and it could potentially cause more harm than good. Oh and I'm sure money had something to do with it too. :D

By money I mean, that is a lot of HEEDS bottles to buy/maintain/replace. I'm sure that the inspection cycle would be a lot more frequent with unqualified pax playing with them each flight.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope, it's survival of the fittest at that point. :eek:

I am thinking that they don't get them because they do not have the training to use it and it could potentially cause more harm than good. Oh and I'm sure money had something to do with it too. :D

By money I mean, that is a lot of Heeds bottles to buy/maintain/replace. I'm sure that the inspection cycle would be a lot more frequent with unqualified pax playing with them each flight.
Yea, I was kind of being sarcastic. I certainly wouldn't expect big Navy to be supplying HEEDS bottles for the uninitiated. Guess it's better to just let them drown rather than having their lungs explode as they try to egress and surface. That makes for bad press. Between you and me though, I'm bringing my own on my next deployment.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve, it's not just the bad press. The problem is they'll surface, be saved by a Navy SAR swimmer, and then go sue the Navy. "I didn't think going out to a carrier would be dangerous...I didn't sign up for this!"

Tom

pilot
Contributor
E-2

I am preparing a presentation having to do with flaps and my professor used to fly the E-2. Can someone tell me what kind of high lift devices (flaps, leading edge devices, boundary layer control devices) is the E-2 equipped with?

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
Just tell him you know that the E-2 would have the same pitch and roll rates as the Hornet if it weren't for those "damned bungees"

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Like the C-2, it has fowler type flaps. They extend aft and down, increasing the wing area.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just saw one of the Nifty D model's... as it foded up our runway for an hour.

Way to go boys.

Guess what the D model is going to have.......

Navy To Add Refueling, Non-Cooperative Target ID to E-2s
Aviation Week & Space Technology

07/10/2006, page 14

Edited by Patricia J. Parmalee

Hawkeye Improvements

The U.S. Navy is planning upgrades to the E-2C and E-2D Hawkeye, with the most prominent being the addition of in-flight refueling capability. Initial work will focus on demonstrating the capability and determining design risks and impact of adding the probe, including on handling qualities and pilot field of view. In parallel, the service is pushing forward with efforts to allow E-2s to identify non-cooperative targets. A demonstration is planned of an antenna array and receiver, as well as processor equipment.

When 4 hours aloft in the bird just is not enough......:D

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When 4 hours aloft in the bird just is not enough......:D
Hope they order these along with their mod. I think the top one was especially made for the NFO's.

6462l.jpg