• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Harrier and Hornets futures!

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I think is referring to the avionics. Mets was telling me that the A+ model Hornets are pretty archaic.

and you believed him? the A+ is far from archaic. besides, I'm fairly certain Squeeze can discern the difference between weapons & avionics.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
So what should those of us with an active sex life do to get this same kind of information..... Leave it on during?

Yes. Choose a position that allows you to fully view the TV during...although don't let her see you watching. She will not be amused...:eek: .

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So what should those of us with an active sex life do to get this same kind of information..... Leave it on during?

OF COURSE you leave it on :eek: ... as the true measure of the sexual prowess of a Naval Aviator can only be realized IF he CAN have sex during the testimony of the Fed Chairman, James Baker/Lee Hamilton, Newt Gingrich, ADM Fallon ....... et'al. :)

*sigh* .... rookies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Of course, plus you can tell MB to make you a sandwich when you're finished. :D

Brett

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I've recently (this past year) been watching a lot of the congressional hearings that are archived on C-SPAN and think it's one of the better ways to be truly informed on a topic. Unlike the soundbites that filter down into the mainstream media, watching a 2-3 hour session where the details of a given issue are discussed and debated by both legislators and policy makers gives you a pretty thorough understanding of what's really going on. I've recently watched testimony from such figures as the Fed Chairman, James Baker/Lee Hamilton, Newt Gingrich, ADM Fallon and others. I strongly recommend it.

Brett
Although not on when naked bedtop wrestling w/ the missus, I really love C-SPAN and can't say enough good things about Brian Lamb, the head cheese over there. If you notice interviews they give, the hosts never give their name...the show is about the guests, not about the host. Great specials on history, interviews w/non-fiction authors (I dug the late, great Booknotes). Also, you can keep tabs on the powers that be.

Good...no, GREAT stuff.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Met - you do realize Wikipedia is not a very good or reliable source don't you? Any one can post whatever "fact" they want.

Garbage in, garbage out.

True that, I went to the earlier link and some malcontent had posted that "truth" passage, which was in turn deleted a few minutes later. Wiki words of wisdom: "Let the reader beware". Some articles have decent links and they try to use group editing to eventually get it right, but they are besieged by teenage vandals and malcontents all the time so all content is somewhat suspect in and of itself.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
while I agree that the Harriers are newer than the Hornet, I'm not too sure about it having more capable weapon systems than the Hornet. What does it carry that a Hornet can't? I'm not trying to argue here, just curious why you made that statement.

Semper Fidelis

Check PM

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
True that, I went to the earlier link and some malcontent had posted that "truth" passage, which was in turn deleted a few minutes later. Wiki words of wisdom: "Let the reader beware". Some articles have decent links and they try to use group editing to eventually get it right, but they are besieged by teenage vandals and malcontents all the time so all content is somewhat suspect in and of itself.

wiki is to knowledges as skeeterman is to war hero

C-Mike

I was just curious with the F-35 coming on line in the next couple of years. What is the future for the Harrier and F-18C and D models. I know they are being replaced with the F-35 but how long do you think these aircraft will be in service. 10, 15, 20 years maybe. I know the harrier will go first but how much longer will the hornet stay around in the Marine Corp?

This doesn't directly answer the question with regards the C & D Hornets, but shows the potential longer range range plans for Rhino.

Per Aviation Week & Space Technology, it looks like the Super Hornet will be around for some time, at least until 2030. Software updgrades, AESA, net-centric operations capability, enhanced AMRAAMs, and enhancements in the inlet and exhaust blockers appear to be the bulk of upgrades. Of interesting note, they contend that until the F-35 is fully mature (12-13 yrs.), the Super Hornet will be equally capable as the Lightning.

I'd post the URL, however a logon is needed.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
By the way, don't be too impressed by the F-35 USMC variant....I'm not. Too many moving parts. I've seen enough AV-8's go down and they were DESIGNED from the drawing board to hover. Not the Bastard offspring of a fixed wing fighter. Only time will tell.