• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Harrier and Hornets futures!

Tombstone

I was just curious with the F-35 coming on line in the next couple of years. What is the future for the Harrier and F-18C and D models. I know they are being replaced with the F-35 but how long do you think these aircraft will be in service. 10, 15, 20 years maybe. I know the harrier will go first but how much longer will the hornet stay around in the Marine Corp?

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Didn't we tell you about the goddamn exclamation marksThis isn't the liberal media, you don't have to sensationalize your titles:D

Junior

pilot
http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/p&r/concepts/2006/PDF/Chapter%203/Part%203/C&P2006Chap3Part3AviationCombatElementPg194F-35B%20Short%20Take.pdf
(from the 2006 Concepts and Programs found on usmc.mil)
"After reassessing the program baseline, the Systems Development and Demonstration phase is scheduled to last until 2013..."
"the prime contractor will begin preparing the long lead items needed for Low Rate Initial Production scheduled for 2007. STOVL first flight is scheduled for fourth quarter of 2007, with follow on IOC in 2012..."

Doesn't look like anything will happen in the next couple of years. And from what I hear they will alternate replacing Harrier and Hornet squadrons starting in Yuma. This is pure rumor and ready room talk though. Maybe someone with more knowledge can expand.

edit: I have no idea why the text came out like that.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was just curious with the F-35 coming on line in the next couple of years. What is the future for the Harrier and F-18C and D models. I know they are being replaced with the F-35 but how long do you think these aircraft will be in service. 10, 15, 20 years maybe. I know the harrier will go first but how much longer will the hornet stay around in the Marine Corp?

Since I have neither the time nor the inclination to broach this subject tonight, allow me to sum up my response by saying both the assertions you've made in your post are wrong.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since I have neither the time nor the inclination to broach this subject tonight, allow me to sum up my response by saying both the assertions you've made in your post are wrong.

But Squeeze, he wants answers... he wants the truth.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
He can't handle the truth .... !!!!

fewgoodmenqw6.jpg

Mets

The last I heard was that the Harriers were all going to be replaced with F-35B's. The Marines are going to stop flying the F-18's completely. They Navy will replace most of their A-D models with F-35C's. All A, B, C, and D variants still in use by the Navy and not replaced by 35's will be replaced by the F-18 E and F "Super Hornets."